Old 8th December 2010, 15:25   #1
SERVER_0WNER

Shoutcast server for linux help please

Hey all i recently attempted to install the new shoutcast server for linux but somehow i cant get the file to extract/unzip i am using centos5.5 32bit and if possible does anyone have a link to a tutorial on setting the new version up if not could someone just post the first line of instructions to extract the file and i should be able to navigate myself from there thankyou very much for your time all and much appreciated in advance
SERVER_0WNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2010, 00:24   #2
fc*uk

Through the years I have run into countless threads of people trying to get SHOUTcast setup and running on various versions of CentOS. I am not too sure how successfull anyone has even been at it. All the threads I can remember rested in the user saying they switched to Windows or another flavor of linux.

With that in mind, is there any reason you are bound to CentOS?
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2010, 00:37   #3
DrO

am wondering about it as well with what i've read looking through older posts and CentOS seems to be the only linux that keeps coming up as being a problem for people. might install it and see if it is so bad as keeps being mentioned.

Quote:
but somehow i cant get the file to extract/unzip
that sounds more like a corrupted download.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2010, 00:42   #4
fc*uk

Shit.

Shame on me. I kinda stoped paying attention when I saw CentOS.

You are right though, CentOS has always been a problem for people. I have never had the desire to check it out and probably don't know enough to actually be able to figure out the problem if there really is one anyway ... so I just let it be one of those things that never seems to work well.

If you do actually check it out, I would be curious to know what you find...
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2010, 12:49   #5
DrO

i almost did the same as well, hehe. though most seem to be down to older v1 DNAS so not sure in general.

anyhoo i've got a CentOS 5.5 iso i'm going to give it a go and setup a VM to see how it works (and to get some benefit from the quad cpu i've bought for doing VM testing) so will see what fun things i can see with the v2 DNAS (i know there's some quirks with the existing versions of the non-Windows tools due to locale issues but otherwise i cannot think of much else which would be causing an issue on that one distro).

-daz
Old 12th December 2010, 16:05   #6
DrO

well i've now got a CentOS 5.5 x86 VM running and had no issues getting the files out of the zip archive for sc_serv2 and other than remembering to do a chmod a+x on the program there weren't any issues with getting it running with a sample configuration (or with a version of sc_serv2 that i've got to play with).

so i'm not too sure what the issue is as there wasn't even the funky locale issue when trying to run the tools as i've seen with other linux variants so i'm somewhat clueless as this was the easiest linux test i've done so far (was simpler then on ubuntu, heh).

[edit]
just tried sc_trans and that worked ok, the slightly newer version i have however throws a wobbly due to needing glibc 2.7 whilst CentOS only ships with 2.5... which is the first instance i've seen that with the different OSes i've been trying the sc_serv2 and sc_trans builds on.

-daz
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support