Old 22nd June 2006, 15:46   #1
djcj

XMMS Skin for Winamp

hi!
I've made a classic Winamp skin wich looks like the default XMMS skin from Linux (www.xmms.org). I've convertet the XPM graphics of the XMMS source code to bitmaps and took the viscolor datas from the main.c. Maybe this skin is still somewhere to download for Winamp, but I didn't found it and so I made it on myself.

PS: XMMS skins are compatible to Winamp and
Winamp Classic skins are compatible to XMMS

djcj A.K.A. シンジ君
Old 22nd June 2006, 23:47   #2
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

You really are about 10 years late with this skin.

It was made by a fellow going by the name of Blayde Fusion, stolen by XMMS for their player, and now people keep trying to pass it of as something new. Get real, will ya?

http://www.winamp.com/skins/details.php?id=135363
http://www.fusionamp.com/fusion_ampdeck.htm

Old 23rd June 2006, 11:25   #3
djcj

Quote:
Fusion AMPdeck was even used as the base skin for XMMS.
well...
but this is the XMMS skin and not the original Fusion Skin.
and I allways wanted the XMMS skin for Winamp and found it nowhere ;_;

but thanks, this Fusion skin looks really nice
Old 23rd June 2006, 21:10   #4
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to garetjax Send a message via AIM to garetjax Send a message via MSN to garetjax Send a message via Yahoo to garetjax
um...no he is saying that you copied the skin for a different platform and stole it. Usually without the owners permission to do so can constitute a bit of a problem in a forum whose sole purpose is to provide a venue for designers (skinners) to speak and talk about each others work and such. As a result you opened a can of worms showing that you have ripped a skin for a different player, this here is a no no.

So congrats on pissing people off and congrats on stealing something not yours to begin with. Lastly, congrats on not having enough ability yourself to design your own (or at least attempt to...)

1001skins.net |
That's not a skin, it's some god awful piece of skinner gunk.
Old 24th June 2006, 08:17   #5
djcj

But XMMS is OpenSource and I can do everything (non-commercial) with the source of that player. It's not so that I want to hear from you things like "yeah, well done", no. I only want to give someone the chance to get the XMMS skin for Winamp, cause I always wanted that skin.
Old 24th June 2006, 10:02   #6
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to garetjax Send a message via AIM to garetjax Send a message via MSN to garetjax Send a message via Yahoo to garetjax
Yes, XMMS is open source however skins are not...they are the intellectual property of the designer. And with XMMS someone already stole the original skin. Reworked it for XMMS and released it as their own work...herein lies the problem. To be honest I have long in the past done a similar thing but, in those days it was not considered rude, or wrong. These days however to even copy a piece from one skin to another is considered stealing. In the case of droping a skin from one player to another without retaining the rights/info on the original creator is definatly a theft of his works. This is not condusive to having a good relationship with skinners / their graphics or their work. Typically you would ask for permission from the original artist in order to provide a duplicate copy of the skin in a different flavor. However, due to the original skin maker likely not responding to someone (though definately try) you could talk to other skinners from here and 'ASK' them if you could port their skins to the XMMS Framework. This may be better in the long run and would help to garner you as a resource rather than a ripper (thief).

Thanks
GaretJax

1001skins.net |
Old 24th June 2006, 10:06   #7
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

btw: that skin and skins like it are called Fusion Based skins...There are quite literally millions of these type skins floating around the net. They are very affluential as it was Blayde who started it all. Thanks to him skinning was possible...As for XMMS they are bastardizing themselves as long as we continue to see skins stolen from designers of winamp and ported without our permission to XMMS.

1001skins.net |
Old 19th September 2007, 11:49   #8
xploited

I really felt that I have to reply to this, so I registered just to make this one post.
First of all, thanks to DJCJ, I was looking for this xmms skin so I can use it one Winamp, and found it nowhere else but here. Nice work.

To GARETJAX, clearly you don't know what you are talking about. I don't consider myself a big expert in opensource, but it doesn't take an expert to understand the basics. The XMMS skin presented above is the standard Ubuntu XMMS skin, which makes it either part of Ubuntu open source project or XMMS open source project. In this way, the skin is open source. Second, you say there are millions of fusion based skins? Right, why can't this one be one of them and why do you label it as stolen? Or do you say that all the people that create fusion based skins steal?
Finally, both Ubuntu and Xmms do not sell the product, they give it away. Who said that XMMS positions this skin as of their own development? Have you heard it? I haven't...
Old 21st September 2007, 02:20   #9
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Oh yes, he does know what he is talking about.

In short, the developers of XMMS took a Winamp skin, changed it a bit, and said "This is the new XMMS skin"
They did not ask permission from the original skin developer, or even aknowledge him in the credits. This is clearly a violation of Open source Policy.

So now they give away their product free. Big deal, Winamp has been free for a very long time.

They give it away free, the skin they do not own.

That is like that big guy on the corner, he is giving away TV's free. Isn't he just the greatest humanitarian ever?

Never mind the little Mom and Pop TV store around the corner that was broken into during the last night.....

Old 25th September 2007, 20:43   #10
xploited

as far as I understand you are somehow connected to the AMP project. First of all, thank you for personally replying. Second, thank you for making/facilitating/supporting the skin presented above, I really think it's the best one available for both WinAmp and Xmms players.
However, I think it's a shame that you are making big deal out of this, especially mocking the poor guy who posted this skin here. Even if they did take the skin and changed without notifying the creator, what you think they should buy it from him? I am involved in graphic design, and for me it would be an honor to know that my skin is a standard skin on every Linux box in the world, and trust me, there's a lot of them. You are comparing the skin to stealing a TV. For Christ sake, it's a piece of graphics!! Do you find and notify the author of every image that you copy from google images? You work with graphics I assume. Have you ever been inspired by someone else's work you saw on the web? That's exactly what open source is fighting for - we benefit by sharing our work with others, not keeping it to ourselves. Get over yourselves! SKins are created for others to use and enjoy, and in the end to say, yeah what a wonderful guy Blayde (or whoever) is.
Just like the person who made the skin, the user who posted it here took his time to convert the graphics so it could be ported to WinAmp! He didn't write "made by djcj" on every button, and he posted it here so other users can use it and enjoy it!
I really think you should reconsider your views!
Old 26th September 2007, 02:16   #11
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Convert the graphics so it could be ported to Winamp? For christ sake, IT WAS A WINAMP SKIN TO START WITH, no porting was ever needed.

The biggest problem with the damned thieves at XMMS is that apart from outright stealing a skin, they NEVER gave credit to the original author, quite opposed to the open source rulebook as I understand. You say you benefit by sharing, not by fuckin' stealing.....
Yeah sure, what a wonderfull guy Blayde is, BUT NOBODY WHO USES XMMS KNOWS, they all think it is original XMMS artwork. What a fucking pile of crap you guys keep coming up with, be good, be nice, share, open source is all where it's at.

FUCKING NONSENCE, that's what it's all about. The whole XMMS thing is a joke.

Old 26th September 2007, 13:17   #12
xploited

it's funny that you are the one who started cursing/offending. I don't feel like going there, so I guess this is the end of our argument.

P.S. I like this skin more than AmpDeck.
Old 27th September 2007, 00:46   #13
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Yeah, good idea. Your arguments have run out, time to move on. You can't win this one anyway.

Have a nice day.

Old 27th September 2007, 01:21   #14
LuigiHann
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to LuigiHann
Who has the last word? LuigiHann has the last word.

Who is the milkman? What is the purpose of the goggles?
Old 27th September 2007, 01:23   #15
flocksoft
Major Dude

only for 2 minutes
Old 27th September 2007, 12:06   #16
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

Quote:
Originally posted by LuigiHann
Who has the last word? LuigiHann has the last word.
Old 27th September 2007, 14:56   #17
LuigiHann
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to LuigiHann
Dang. I was hoping the thread would be locked before anybody else had a chance to respond.

Who is the milkman? What is the purpose of the goggles?
Old 27th September 2007, 15:18   #18
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Only I get the last word around these parts
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Classic Skins