Old 20th December 2011, 13:00   #1
johnny6

buffering issues

I listen to many Shoutcast stations. I also have a busy internet connection but it is high speed. I have been trying to adjust the buffering setting but I can't get it set up.

So I am getting closer to the settings that are perfect but what is happening now is that the stream will run for a couple of minutes and then rebuffer. The music stops and it takes about 45 seconds for it to rebuffer. I want to find the settings so that it buffers frequently but not stop playing.

First off, I am not sure which decoder to use so I will let you know what settings I have for the two that I have been adjusting

MPEG Audio Decoder
Streaming Data Buffer: 3096
Streaming Prebuffer - start: about 25%
Streaming Prebuffer - underrun: about 50%

The other decoder buffer that I've been playing with is the NSV Decoder and the settings are as follows;
Buffer size stream: 80000
Prebuffer at start: 10000
Rebuffer on: 10000

So first off, which decoder is it that works with the Shoutcast stations and second, which setting is going to give me what I am looking for?
johnny6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 14:18   #2
Bryon Stout

I use winamp while at work and have no issues.

I also use iTunes when I am home and have no issues.
Bryon Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 15:59   #3
ujay
Forum King

Shoutcast radio uses mp3 and aac, so both are handled by the Nullsoft MPEG input plugin.

Shoutcast TV uses NSV.

Your streaming buffer is very large and will always cause long delays when a prebuffer takes place.

I use :

Streaming buffer 128
start prebuffer 50%
underrun 25%

Some stations are very reliable, others may suffer the odd drop out, depends mostly on the available bandwidth at the broadcast end and how good your connection is.

To be honest the prebuffer settings are not very effective wth broadband, I think they were designed more for old modem systems, the streaming buffer will have most effect.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 18:39   #4
johnny6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryon Stout View Post
I use winamp while at work and have no issues.

I also use iTunes when I am home and have no issues.
Are you for real?
Think about your stupid answer before you actually enter it.
We're looking for a solution, not the dribble you just entered.
Old 20th December 2011, 18:45   #5
DrO

johnny6: there are more polite ways to say you don't like what someone else has posted (or you can just ignore the post) - keep that in mind in future please.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 18:54   #6
johnny6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
johnny6: there are more polite ways to say you don't like what someone else has posted (or you can just ignore the post) - keep that in mind in future please.

-daz
yes, I realize that but I just don't understand how someone can enter in such a lame response regardless. This is a technical support form. If I don't have an answer, I keep my fingers off of the keyboard. If I do have an answer, even if it was an incorrect answer, that is still better than what he/she entered.
The last thing we need to do is to fill up a technical support forum with non-support related responses. I'm sure that you can appreciate that?
Ok, consider my hand slapped. Let's get on with fixing my problem with Shoutcast.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support