Old 18th November 2013, 14:58   #1
kaspano

my winamp cannot play .wma files

Hello i have winamp version 5.65. I tried to play .wma files on my winamp but it wont play it. I Went to preferences in winamp and then input plugins and I couldnt find any .wma decoder.

So I Went to winamp and searched .wma plugin and found this: http://www.winamp.com/plugin/nulsoft...lugin-v1/80454

I downloaded it and installed it. I started winamp and tried to play .wma files again but it still didnt work. I Went preferences > plugins > input and saw this: http://i39.tinypic.com/2bw7zb.jpg . Look at the bottom plugin. It says [NO CODEC INSTALLED] .

What do I do to make winamp able play .wma files?
kaspano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 15:01   #2
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Uninstall the plugin you've installed, run the Winamp installer again and make sure, that you have checked 'Windows Media Audio'.

Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 15:07   #3
kaspano

ok does it affect anything that i run installer on already existing program?
Old 18th November 2013, 15:09   #4
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

You can directly install 5.65 over an existing install. All of your settings etc will work after the update.

And don't forget to remove that old, buggy unsupported Plugin you've installed from Winamp.com (that really should be removed from the website)
Old 18th November 2013, 15:25   #5
kaspano

Hi i just reinstalled it and im defenetly sure that wma box was checked. But i still cant play .wma files!!! here are the plugins showed in winamp after installation: http://i40.tinypic.com/s2bjew.jpg . Whats wrong?
Old 18th November 2013, 15:41   #7
kaspano

im using administrator account when im playing winamp.
i´ve attached the report now. have a look
Attached Files
File Type: txt Winamp_Info_Report_18.11.2013.txt (21.3 KB, 201 views)
Old 18th November 2013, 15:50   #8
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Your report looks ok. The official Nullsoft Windows Media Decoder is installed and .wma is associated with Winamp.

1. Does it have any effect if you change the output plugin to the recommended 'Nullsoft DirectSound output'?
(Preferences > Plugins > Output)

2. What exactly are you doing to play .wma files? Do you open them via double click from Windows explorer (if so what happens then?), or are they already part of your playlist?

3. If you're playing DRM protected wma files, is that option under Preferences > Plugins > Input > Nullsoft Windows Media Decoder checked?

4. Can you upload one of the .wma files so that i can test on my system, if they play?
(You can send me a PM with a link, if you don't want to publish it in public)
Old 18th November 2013, 16:16   #9
kaspano

1) I´ve tried changing output plugin to 'Nullsoft DirectSound output' . It gave same respone, it just jumped over the file and continued on next file on playlist.

2) Usually i run them Always from playlist file. I have tried both ways now, from Explorer and playlist. They both made the same response, jumping over file and showing 0:00 to the right as length of the song.

3) checkbox for"Try to acquire licenses silently" is Active.

4) Actually Before i formatted i had a previous version of winamp which I dont exactly know what version it was but then it was fine and played the .wma files. Then I installed my OS and winamp and it didnt work. You can download the songs here: [LINK REMOVED]
Old 18th November 2013, 17:32   #10
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Winamp always skips files, if it cannot play them, because of a missing codec for example.

Got the files and they all play fine here. They all encoded with 'Windows Media 10' format.

Noticed that you are using the 'N' version of Windows 7, which has no Windows media player.

Can you try to install the Microsoft Windows Media framework:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=19289

And try if the files play then (though would expect, that the Winamp installer would check this...)
Old 18th November 2013, 18:06   #11
kaspano

Thx so much it works now! you are the pro koopa ! im gonna Watch a program now see ya
Old 18th November 2013, 18:07   #12
kaspano

now its working koopa! thx so much! you are the pro!!
Old 18th November 2013, 18:12   #13
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

You're welcome.

And use DirectSound as output plugin in future, Hardware based output is always better than software based output.

Will send an info about the problem to beta list, maybe someone can improve the WM detection on Windows N version. So that Winamp shows a message instead of just skipping the files.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support