Old 7th January 2013, 08:21   #1
falk

No overall search?

Unfortunately I cannot find any way to make an overall search for a song title or artist.
There is only the 'j' (or F3) key but this does not help as they work only with ONE playlist.
But I have lots of playlists for each genre!!
So the most important function of a media manager is the most missing one at Winamp.
(at iTunes it is the MAIN function!)
Hard to believe... Or did I overlook anything?

A corresponding plugin does not exist.
Would be perfect if you could add this common search soon.

By the way, F3/j does only work if you click separately on the title line of Winamp (to bring the Winamp main window definititly in the very front).
And I already saw screen shots in he internet where the search input is located directly on top of the media library (not as a extra window) which is MUCH more comfortable (especially for others who wanne use Winamp on my parties)!!!
It is sad that this design was given up!...
falk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2013, 09:13   #2
DrO

the JTF window is only meant for searching the main playlist editor window's contents.

if you want to more easily search through more files, ensure that everything in the playlists you want to search have been added to the 'media library' and then you can search through everything via a search bar at the top of those views.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2013, 09:25   #3
Aminifu
Forum King

Winamp provides many ways of overall searching for song titles and/or artists in your collection, just not in the particular way you want to do it.

It does not natively provide a way to separately search through multiple playlists, but some or all of the separate playlists can be loaded into the playlist editor at the same time.

Then after everything from all the separate lists are in the editor, there are many ways (native and 3rd party) to search within the playlist editor and various ways to deal with the duplicates from having the same songs listed in different playlists.

In addition to the features provided by the Jump to File Extra (JTFE) plug-in, DrO has written another (called Jumper) that provides a 'find as you type' experience in Winamp's playlist editor.

http://nunzioweb.com/daz/jumper.html

EDIT:
It appears (from the post above ) that DrO and I were writing a response at the same time and he submitted his first.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2013, 23:05   #4
falk

thanks, guys for your feedback!
But I beg your pardon - I don't understand you both...

First to DrO:
Yes, of course I have added all of my songs to the media library. Otherwise I could not switch easily between my genre playlists!
But sorry, I cannot find a "via a search bar at the top of those views" except the one of 'local media'. Here you can find that what is missing at each playlist to search them. Why not there as well?
Or which are the 'views' you mention?
A 'view' might also be if you click on one playlist. Then you have the 'view' of this playlist content / genre in the titles listing.

But this is not my actual problem... as I am looking for the overall search.
1.) The playlist editor is to make a temporary party composition/collection being composed from several playlists. So if s.o. searches for a song while its content is played back he cannot do that (with your method) without destroying the whole collection!!
1b.) And do you really want me to add all my songs from each of my playlists with circumstancial drag&drop operations before I can make an overall search? And this just before EACH overall search (if I use the playlist editor for other things between)!?... That is absolutly unpractical! Does not work!
2.) Normally you will play on a party several tracks of each genre before you change the genre (i.e. my playlist). That is what a DJ should do and that is what we always do with my playlists. So that is why several genre playlists should be created.
2b.) Or how do you guys collect your tracks? Don't you have genre playlists as well?
But then you should have the same problem as I have!... And should understand my big handling problem with Winamp.

So at the moment I have a complete understanding problem with what you wrote back to me.
Did I misunderstood you maybe?...

Thanks for your help, exchange and tips!!
Old 8th January 2013, 00:32   #5
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

You want to be able to search through all Playlists stored in the Media Library, right?

Yeah, there's currently no way to do that :-(

As mentined above....
You can search the currently loaded/active playlist in the Playlist Editor, via the Jump To File dialog (J).
Or you can search any of the Local Media views.

You could create Genre smart views under Local Media, instead of Playlists....

1. Right-click "Local Media" > Add Smart View
2. Select "Audio by Genre" from the Preset drop-down, then customize it to taste, eg.
3. Checkmark "and"
4. Click the + button
5. Genre | Equals | (Type Genre Here) ==OR== 5. Genre | Contains | Rock
6. Set the Filters to taste
7. Change "Name" accordingly (eg. Rock Music)
8. Click OK

However, your request for being able to search Media Library Playlists is certainly a valid one :-)
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2013, 05:39   #6
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi falk,

Winamp can not do want you want directly (automatically searching through a group of playlists, one after the other). What I suggested is an indirect way to accomplish the same thing. Nothing is destroyed.

The playlist editor just contains a list of songs that Winamp will play. You can play 1 song at a time, or play each song 1 after the other, or play the songs randomly. This list can be adjusted while the songs are playing.

For example, say you have 5 playlists, each containing 20 songs of a particular genre (in reality, you can have any number of lists containing any number of songs). Select and remove everything currently in the playlist editor (via context menu commands), then load each playlist into the editor and you will have a list of 100 songs. Using the Jump to File Extra (JTFE) plug-in, you can press "J" and open a separate window (queue) containing the 100 songs. While songs are playing 1 after the other from the list in the editor, you can use the separate queue window to search for a particular title or artist. Once you find the song or songs you want to listen to, you can select it or them to be copied to the editor list and be the next song or songs that will be played. After this song or songs are played, the song that would have normally been next in the editor list will play.

You can have the queue window remain open and repeat this process whenever you want. Finding another song(s), within the list of 100, and causing it to be the next song(s) played. If you change your mind about what you want played next, simply select them in the editor list and remove them from the list (via context menu commands) or rearrange them by dragging 1 or more of them to a new position.

You can even cause the currently playing song to be stopped and the song(s) copied from the queue search window to start playing immediately.

By default both lists (editor and queue) show the artist, song title, and song length, but you can change either or both lists to show more metadata tags (like genre, year, album, etc) to help in finding stuff.

Last edited by Aminifu; 8th January 2013 at 06:50.
Old 8th January 2013, 08:48   #7
lostinsound

Quote:
Originally Posted by falk View Post
First to DrO:
Yes, of course I have added all of my songs to the media library. Otherwise I could not switch easily between my genre playlists!
I think there is a bit of confusion here (but I could be confused as well ). To be clear, adding playlists that show up in the left hand side of the media library is NOT the same as adding songs to the media library. You can add your music to the media library by selecting "Add Media To Library" under the file menu and choosing your music folder. You can then use Smart Views to separate your Media Library by genre (as long as all of the songs are tagged properly by genre).
lostinsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2013, 09:30   #8
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
the main reason i don't use playlists, is that they aren't dynamic and they don't update easy and they aren't easy to search.

thats why i use and love smartviews instead.

altho i am considering using DrOs ml exporter to create playlists of my smartviews for other apps.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2013, 10:46   #9
Aminifu
Forum King

I should have also stated that most cPro skins have a search bar in the playlist editor window that is similar to the search bar in the media library, except that it only searches in the playlist editor list.

What the OP really needs is a 'jukebox' interface for Winamp that his party guests could use.

Old 8th January 2013, 11:06   #10
DrO

the cPro search is just an equivalent of the basic JTF window but embedded in the skin's UI - no more no less.

from reading everything else, it seems like the main thing would be the provision of a search field at the top of the ml_playlists views (comparable to the local media ones).

doing it for 'all' playlists would be outside of what is already provided in the plug-in UI and i'm not even sure how something like that could be done as part of the UI. as such doing playlist specific handling is relatively simple in the grand scheme of things, is still a fair bit of work.

-daz
Old 8th January 2013, 11:51   #11
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
the cPro search is just an equivalent of the basic JTF window but embedded in the skin's UI - no more no less.
JTF is much better, more options!

Old 8th January 2013, 11:52   #12
DrO

has more bugs and inconsistencies as well.

-daz
Old 10th January 2013, 11:47   #13
falk

Hi Aminifu and DOr,

wow, there are a lot of comments of you. Thank you so much!!

It is for sure a nice way/workaround to set the order of the songs on-the-fly by JTFE's enqueue function.
But if you wanne plan or filter the songs you like most in advance into the playlist editor (that is what it is made for!) then you cannot do the mentioned overall search.
Even if I put this pre-selection into a separat, new playlist and fill the playlist editor with all songs of my playlists there is no way to combine those twop.

To make it short: your suggestion is okay if you do not plan a party but rely on spontanity.
For a DJ this might be okay (but he would use Tractor, Virtual DJ, ... anyway) but for a party it might not satisfy everybody.

I would have guessed that it would be an easy and fast issue to add this overall search just by serialising/repeating the single playlist search over all the playlists before writing the search result into the JTFE list. But if you say it is not...

Unfortunately I do not have properly genre taged songs. This is a lot of work. The the whole thing would be very dynamic. That is true!...
I should use MP3Tag for automate that...

But therefore I miss the rank option (e.g. 5 marks) in the ID3 tag to make this dynamic as well - VERY sad!! Winamp only has a proprietary solution here, I suppose ('local media > highest rank').

However the main reason why I would like to use Winamp instead of a DJ software like VirtualDJ is:
I want to remote control my song archive on my notebook by my smartphone (Android).
The DJ software seems to give control only by their Midi interface.
But here you can access your player on the pc only by control functions like play, stop, next song, etc. (s. the app 'DJ Control'). Just functions of a Midi controler.

But you cannot e.g. read/list your playlists and select them as you like remotely.
Unfortunately Winamp still does not support DLNA (UPnP) but can just be controlled proprietary by a buggy Android app ('aWARemote').
Does anybody of you know a properly working solution here?...
Or does Winamp meanwhile support DLNA/UPnP?...

Or is there any other advice of you for a perfect remote controlling of my (playlist) audio player on my pc maybe?...
Old 10th January 2013, 13:19   #14
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Unfortunately I do not have properly genre taged songs. This is a lot of work. The the whole thing would be very dynamic. That is true!...

But therefore I miss the rank option (e.g. 5 marks) in the ID3 tag to make this dynamic as well - VERY sad!! Winamp only has a proprietary solution here, I suppose ('local media > highest rank').
You really should take the time to properly tag your files. Don't try to do them all at once, spread the task out, just do a few hundred a day. Even if you use a tagger to automate the tagging, you still need to check each file's tags for accuracy. You are missing out on the management power of Winamp that makes it so easy to search, filter, and/or sort your music.

Winamp also lets you assign ratings (rank) to files. The rating can be stored in the media library (default) and written to the file (preference setting). The "Top Rated" view in the media library will list all files with a rating from 1 to 5 stars. You can customize which columns are shown in the list and chose any 1 of the columns to sort the list by.

You can also make your own 'smart views' variations of the "Top Rated" view or any of the other views listed under "Local Media". You can make views to fit any mood or theme. For example, I have made views that look like the "Audio" view, but only lists songs from a particular decade.

But you need to tag and rate your files. I suggest you get started today.

I also use VirtualDJ for parties (running multiple instances of Winamp is too awkward), but for my personal use nothing I've tried beats Winamp with a few plug-ins. Remote control options are still limited (with both apps), but I'm old school and like the 'hands on'.

Old 10th January 2013, 14:31   #15
lostinsound

Quote:
Hi Aminifu and DOr,

wow, there are a lot of comments of you. Thank you so much!!

It is for sure a nice way/workaround to set the order of the songs on-the-fly by JTFE's enqueue function.
But if you wanne plan or filter the songs you like most in advance into the playlist editor (that is what it is made for!) then you cannot do the mentioned overall search.
Even if I put this pre-selection into a separat, new playlist and fill the playlist editor with all songs of my playlists there is no way to combine those twop.

To make it short: your suggestion is okay if you do not plan a party but rely on spontanity.
For a DJ this might be okay (but he would use Tractor, Virtual DJ, ... anyway) but for a party it might not satisfy everybody.

I would have guessed that it would be an easy and fast issue to add this overall search just by serialising/repeating the single playlist search over all the playlists before writing the search result into the JTFE list. But if you say it is not...

It's still not clear to me whether you are actually using the Media Library. It seems like you are exclusively using playlists to organize your music rather than the Media Library. Is that true? Only using playlists is different than using the Media Library.

As far as tagging, if you have a playlist that you want all the songs to be one genre, I think you can just drag the playlist into mp3tag and it will add all the files from the playlist. Someone can correct me on this if I'm wrong since I can't check right now. You can then change the genre tag for all those files so that they all have the same genre. After adding them to the Media Library you can use Smart Views to separate them by genre.
lostinsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist

Tags
overall search