Old 4th April 2008, 13:47   #81
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Winamp Update Pack for 5.531

Contains an updated ml_playlists.dll only

This fixes the bug where using Enter / Shift+Enter is broken for the selected ML Playlist items (info)

Download the zip attachment, then extract and run the installer.
Attached Files
File Type: zip winamp_update_pack_v5.531a.zip (82.8 KB, 3541 views)
Old 4th April 2008, 16:29   #82
OlexijL

Send a message via AIM to OlexijL Send a message via Yahoo to OlexijL
Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
@Koopatrooper / OlexijL

Yes, the installer creates the "Play" registry value

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\
AutoplayHandlers\Handlers
WinampPlayMediaOnArrival -> Action = Play

However, this reg string is created along with in_mp3 installation, and is used for Autoplay of all supported CD Formats (Audio CD, MP3 CD, Video CD).

The Winamp -> Prefs -> File Types option adds:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AudioCD\shell\play\command

Is it really such a big issue?
Surely everyone knows what 'Play' means?

@Roeark

No. Try the Tech Support forum. See here and here first.
Dear Egg,

Thank you for the answer. No for me, i simply want to have the same behavior of the installer back, as on 5.35, without any additional keys.

If i install 5.35, i dont have any english Autoplay entries, so i can use the Winamp option for launching with Audio CDs.

And: in 5.35 the in_mp3 plugin is installed without this key...

Olexijl

PS: After some rethinking i will disable Winamps default "Launch..." option, use the new "Play" entry, because i have MP3 CDs and they are now recognized...

But what about the thing: If i enable the "Launch" option in Winamp, the new "Play" will be automatically deleted. Only a thought...

Olexijl

Last edited by OlexijL; 4th April 2008 at 18:43.
Old 4th April 2008, 19:32   #83
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Winamp 5.51
* New: Autoplay Handlers for Audio, MP3 and Video CD's on WinXP & Vista
Old 5th April 2008, 05:28   #84
gothic251

Hey DJ Egg,
Been using Winamp since v2, and have a bug to report about 5.531.
If, while in Bento skin, when playing a song, the popup comes up saying what song it is, what artist, etc, but if you then play a song with the same name and artist as the one playing, but, for example, with a different album name, the popup won't change. And if the popup has gone down, a new one won't come up.
Hope this can be fixed.
Old 5th April 2008, 10:11   #85
martin.deimos
Android/UI Development

Send a message via ICQ to martin.deimos Send a message via AIM to martin.deimos Send a message via Yahoo to martin.deimos
will look at this one

WebSite: www.skinconsortium.com - Community for Userinterface Design & Coding
Skins: Click Here
Old 5th April 2008, 10:44   #86
martin.deimos
Android/UI Development

Send a message via ICQ to martin.deimos Send a message via AIM to martin.deimos Send a message via Yahoo to martin.deimos
ok, this should be fixed for the next release

Old 5th April 2008, 23:06   #87
Moguta

WinAmp does not seem to decode 8bit mono 22.05KHz FLAC files losslessly. I realize this is a rare case -- and I'm not sure whether it has to do with the bit depth, not being stereo, or the sampling rate -- but it seems important to the integrity of FLAC's lossless nature.

Just to be sure I wasn't hearing things, I compared two WAVs: a WinAmp-diskwritten FLAC file (dither, EQ, and DSPs all off) and one decoded by flac.exe. The difference is subtle, but I was easily able to ABX the difference 12 of 12 times.

Thanks for the bugfix (5.531) release!

Magnatune - A role model for ALL digital music stores!
Old 6th April 2008, 03:52   #88
xdcc

martin.deimos,

Could you make Bento's Main Window collapsible (minimzed) while leaving open the Video/Media Library in an upcoming release? It would make watching videos in Bento nicer. Here's a mockup:

Thanks!
Old 6th April 2008, 08:57   #89
martin.deimos
Android/UI Development

the main prob of this would be that bento will use much more resources
yo are the 1st one who wants such a layout. but nevertheless, i'll take it at the end of my todo list. perhaps i find time to realize this, but i cannot promise

Old 6th April 2008, 15:51   #90
osmosis
Major Dude

Hmm, that IS a really good idea in terms of screen-space usage actually. Can't believe that it hasn't occurred to anyone yet!

Request: A little SmartView Query Language love.
Old 6th April 2008, 18:10   #91
pjn123
Major Dude

Dare I say something like that could easily be done with a separate new bento skin.

Adding that optional would bloat the player more than you think. Poor martin will have to add lots of extra code for little gain. And the majority of people wont even know of the feature. Everything you add to a modern skin slows it down in little increments. Before you know you have a slow loading Winamp.

So to sum up something like that should be done as a separate skin. If you know your way around skinning you should be able to create it so that it will auto update itself with most new version of Winamp.

ClassicPro© v2.01 : This plugin allows you to use cPro skins in Winamp. ClassicPro skins are all SUI skins and loads very quickly. ClassicPro skins is even easier to skin than Winamp Classic skins. A new layout have been added since version 2.
Download ClassicPro© ==== cPro Skins ==== ClassicPro© Homepage ==== SC Forums
Old 6th April 2008, 18:35   #92
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
What bothers me are all the requests from forums members to add this, add that, and then when these additions are implemented, there are inevitably a plethora of complaints by forums members of slow load time, CPU usage issues, and accusations of Winamp becoming "bloatware".

I've long ago concluded that nobody will ever be satisfied, but that they will always complain. Nobody's ever satisfied. Never ever, and it's a freakin' shame.

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Old 6th April 2008, 20:52   #93
Disasterpiece

I'm still curious if there is something new in Bento #120 (since #118), or it's just bug fixes, etc.

ECS nForce3-A | AMD Sempron 2800+ @ 2000 | 1GB DDR400 A-Data | WD Caviar Black 500GB | ATi Radeon 9550 128MB/128bit | Yamaha YMF724F-V & Sennheiser HD-555 | Samsung SyncMaster 206BW
Old 7th April 2008, 03:15   #94
osmosis
Major Dude

yeah, just fixes that i've seen.

Request: A little SmartView Query Language love.
Old 7th April 2008, 13:23   #95
Chrissyx

Send a message via ICQ to Chrissyx
Quote:
Originally posted by Nunzio390
What bothers me are all the requests from forums members to add this, add that, and then when these additions are implemented, there are inevitably a plethora of complaints by forums members of slow load time, CPU usage issues, and accusations of Winamp becoming "bloatware".

I've long ago concluded that nobody will ever be satisfied, but that they will always complain. Nobody's ever satisfied. Never ever, and it's a freakin' shame.
Just add Win 9x support again and I'm happy.^^

I like "silly devs"!

At the going down of the sun and in the morning ...
we will remember Winamp ♥
Old 7th April 2008, 13:50   #96
DrO

don't go bringing that up again since you know well enough what the answer is and why it was done.

-daz
Old 8th April 2008, 12:07   #97
Chrissyx

Send a message via ICQ to Chrissyx
Sry I couldn't resist.^^

No, but seriously: You're doing a great job and I think, everyone is quite happy with Winamp, despite all the requests, wishes and rants.

I like "silly devs"!

At the going down of the sun and in the morning ...
we will remember Winamp ♥
Old 10th April 2008, 23:08   #98
alexjoey

Hi, just want say good work you did, winamp still rules, I'm uping you that when one wants to update the tag in an mp3 but which one is read-only protected, the "can't write message box" doesn't appearing whereas it should does to alert the user that change was lost.

I'm on 5.531, and I had adopted the Big Bento skin.
An other 'error' is whereas I've unchecked the box from prevent Winamp see updates I see this box checked again.

Thanks.

Last edited by alexjoey; 10th April 2008 at 23:38.
Old 12th April 2008, 20:11   #99
hashonboat

Quote:
Originally posted by Alpha2k6
Im running Vista Ultimate 64-bit no crashes here.. using ObjectDesktop with latest WindowsBlinds 6.09g beta, are you using an earlier version ?
Running Vista Ultimate 32-bit and Windowblids 6.09g beta here and the latest whql nvidia forceware drivers
Old 13th April 2008, 17:23   #100
pegase06

Hi,
I have a suggestion.
Some album are composed of multiple disk.
The album has a title and each disc has a subtitle.
There are tags for disk title.
Old 14th April 2008, 16:01   #101
Alpha2k6

Quote:
Originally posted by hashonboat
Running Vista Ultimate 32-bit and Windowblids 6.09g beta here and the latest whql nvidia forceware drivers
ok im running 174.74 beta (174.74 WHQL won't work on 8800 cards)

there is also a 174.85 beta driver avalible.. but ill probably wait for a WHQL now since ive got no trouble with this one.
Old 14th April 2008, 19:14   #102
pegase06

Hi,
I have a suggestion.
Some album are composed of multiple disk.
There are tags for album title, but there are no tags for disk.
It is possible to add tag for disc title ?
Old 14th April 2008, 22:13   #103
Grrrrrrr

Winamp only gets worse. Every update and it's still incredibly slow to startup, uses a ridiculous amount of memory and leaks gdi objects like crazy. Stop adding new useless crap and fix the core. It's even slow to shut down! 20% cpu on a quad core ffs.
Old 14th April 2008, 22:30   #104
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
Quote:
Originally posted by Grrrrrrr
Winamp only gets worse.
Wrong! Winamp only gets BETTER! If you've come here and posted your first post in these forums just to troll, then please go away.

If not, and instead you posted what you did only because you don't know what you're talking about, then READ THIS to gain a little insight and understanding about the BEST media player in existence.

Rather than repeat myself, I've linked to one of my replies above. Make sure you read it all and also follow all the links.

You also posted this nonsense as well above...
Quote:
Every update and it's still incredibly slow to startup, uses a ridiculous amount of memory and leaks gdi objects like crazy. Stop adding new useless crap and fix the core. It's even slow to shut down! 20% cpu on a quad core ffs.
After you read what I linked to above, you should then come to an understanding that the "useless crap" you referred to was added to the core components due to countless requests to have it added by Winamp users. You'll also understand that slow-down issues CAN be avoided, depending on what YOU choose to install in the very configurable installer options, instead of blindly clicking NEXT to every screen you see in the installer. You'll also then come to understand that you posted what you did above prematurely, without knowing the facts.

Also, read through this as well --> Like The Wind

Happy Winamping!
Old 18th April 2008, 01:42   #105
hazy89

my winamp toolbar doesn't work =l
Old 18th April 2008, 13:32   #106
kzuse

Send a message via ICQ to kzuse Send a message via Skype™ to kzuse
Okay, now Grrrrrr is right in at least one point:

It's even slow to shut down!

That is right. On my two PC's winamp needs more than 5 seconds to disappear from the task list.

Sometimes, after dissapearing, it even throws a goodbye message to me, saying that memory could not be "read". That is not really kind to the user, and only because he wants to exit Winamp...
Old 18th April 2008, 14:15   #107
Wolfgang
Forum King

Grrrrr also has a point regarding CPU usage. I've done a clean install with no plugins and Winamp permanently uses between 12 and 17 % CPU when something is playing. Otherwise it uses 0% as it should.

Oddly enough it seems to use a lot less RAM than in 5.3x versions. On my machine, 5.3x used about 24k RAM but 5.53 uses only about 3 to 4k. 5.3x, however, didn't use so much CPU all the time. If I remember correctly, it was negligible.
Old 18th April 2008, 18:30   #108
williamdavid

plugins shuld be more improved and shuld add some extra thing to run other media files in

William David

Its no secret that Fender makes great guitar amps,but which one is the best? We think it's the Blues Junior. Find out why.
http://fenderbluesjunioramps.com
Old 18th April 2008, 20:54   #109
pjn123
Major Dude

Quote:
Winamp only gets worse. Every update and it's still incredibly slow to startup, uses a ridiculous amount of memory and leaks gdi objects like crazy. Stop adding new useless crap and fix the core. It's even slow to shut down! 20% cpu on a quad core ffs.
Maybe its the skin your using.

Also, I know I've posted this before, but deleting your studio.xnf file (%appdata%\winamp\studio.xnf) will also speedup your starts... especialy if this file was getting very big. If you test allot of skins this might be the case.

Maybe we'll see a option in the preferences someday that will clear this file. Most people dont even know of this, and I dont think its cleared when you uninstall winamp(but might be wrong). Also Winamp might look slow @ timer resolution of 33ms... mines always @ 15. Maybe winamp should introduce a optimize prefs page... that will clear the studio.xnf... set the optimum timer res.. and stuff like that... all in one performance boost for people that dont know what all these stuff mean.

ClassicPro© v2.01 : This plugin allows you to use cPro skins in Winamp. ClassicPro skins are all SUI skins and loads very quickly. ClassicPro skins is even easier to skin than Winamp Classic skins. A new layout have been added since version 2.
Old 23rd April 2008, 03:50   #110
dndell

Thanks for the studio.xnf tip. Now how do I reset the timer option you speak of? I'm getting very frustrated with how long it takes this version to start after I double-click an mp3.
Old 23rd April 2008, 12:17   #111
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Preferences -> Skins -> Modern Skins -> General -> As Fast as possible for this maschine
Old 23rd April 2008, 13:21   #112
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

That setting isn't going to have any effect on startup time.

http://nunzioweb.com/daz/like_the_wind/

The more plugins present, the longer the startup time.

If you're still using the antiquated method of double-clicking mp3's in Windows Explorer to open Winamp, then you probably needed to uncheck a fair few unneeded items on the Choose Components page of the Installer Options.
Old 23rd April 2008, 18:30   #113
pjn123
Major Dude

Yip, the timer resolution isnt going to speedup the startup. It will just make Winamp looks faster when its finished loading.

dndell, while your there you can also delete the winamp.ini file. When I have a problem with Winamp I first delete the studio.xnf file to see if the problem is still there.. and if its still there I delete the winamp.ini too. Those two files will fix most of your problems most of the time.

If it still starts slow you can always check my signature for ClassicPro(alternative sui skin). That starts a little quicker than Bento but not that much.

Old 24th April 2008, 06:33   #114
gatekeeper6838

Minor gripe, but figured it might be worth mentioning:

I also receive the Winamp crashing on startup glitch, only I knew what the culprit was right away:

Fault Module: dsound.dll

This is Creative ALchemy. I realize that this is a total hack as ALchemy was meant for games. Nevertheless, I use it on Winamp for the hardware accelerated sound / SRC which does sound slightly better than Vista's software audio stack. 5.52 or prior does not crash with ALchemy, but 5.53+ does. There are several workarounds, namely:

-Launching Winamp from Winamp Agent
-Doing a "Run as administrator" on winamp.exe

I can definitely live with this, it's no big deal. I'm just curious if there has been any changes to how Winamp handles permissions that could be causing some of these crashes?
Old 25th April 2008, 17:52   #115
Auren

Send a message via ICQ to Auren
Russian Translation Font Bug

There's a bug in Russian translation:

Old 5th May 2008, 02:35   #116
skyfire360

Just popping in to say that the "alt-f4 to close a plugin's config window closes Winamp.exe" bug is still present (didn't see a fix for it on the release notes, so wasn't expecting it to be fixed)
Old 6th May 2008, 17:47   #117
Kn0tte
Major Dude

Hey people.
Just popping in to say that two new colorthemes are made for the standard Winamp Modern Skin. They are made by JonnyMac and me (Kn0tte), but most credits goes to JonnyMac

The new colorthemes are (which are ported/made from Bento):
"Bento Default"
"Bento Default | Yellow"

Download the attachment and while Winamp is not running place it in the C:\Program Files\Winamp\Plugins\ColorThemes\Winamp Modern folder. You can create the folder if you don't have it, the actual path will vary with where you installed Winamp.

Then run Winamp and look for Bento Default and Bento Default | Yellow in the Winamp Modern color themes.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With this post I am also suggesting that the DEVs can download the file and try it. Maybe they could be implemented as standard colorthemes for the WA Modern skin in the next/a future version?
Download the attachment below and try it

If you want, here is the original link where the colorthemes has been made/edited (link goes to the post with the final/last attachment):
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....98#post2344098
^
Attached Files
File Type: xml colorthemes_wa.m.skin.xml (6.9 KB, 426 views)

Last edited by Kn0tte; 6th May 2008 at 18:05.
Old 15th May 2008, 01:36   #118
D_LeX

This last version has many problems.
- A Giant CPU usage.
- It crashes often
- at startup, It often makes crash windows, or it takes a very long time to start
- sometimes, it doesn't read the files anymore ( [invalid frame] ), without any reason ( for example while playing in loop mode)
- the interface takes a loooooong time to draw and undraw
- it takes a long time to shutdown
Old 15th May 2008, 04:17   #119
Serpher

Works fine for me.
But I must say that performance's needs to be improved.

Sorry for my bad English
=====================
MB: Gigabyte P35C-DS3R || CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (3.00 GHz) || RAM: 8 GB Kingston DDR3 1333MHz || Audio card: ASUS Xonar D2X || Video card: GeForce 460 GTX || OS: Windows 7 SP1 || DirectX: 9.0c (latest) || Winamp version: latest || Winamp skin: Modern
Old 23rd May 2008, 20:46   #120
kaelw

i can't get any downloaded skins to work in the new winamp. can anyone help?
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion