Old 11th September 2011, 03:12   #1
avital.chissick

Playlist editing - adding a directory

Hello,

My music is sorted into folders.
Is there a way to add the entire contents of a specific folder to a playlist ?

Thank you.
avital.chissick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2011, 14:41   #2
Squishy Tia

If the folders are not nested, then you can do so easily. You just put your finger on the folder, and when the popup menu appears, select "Add to playlist" or "create playlist". You can then select the playlist or type in the name of one you wish to create.

If your folders are nested (see below), you must do each subfolder individually and select "Add to playlist" -> select playlist for each subfolder.

Nested folders look like this:

Final Fantasy X OST
----Disc 1
----Disc 2
----Disc 3
----Disc 4

Non-nested folders look like:

Final Fantasy X OST
Disgaea OST
Guns n Roses

NOTE: If you attempt to sync playlists from the Winamp PC version (Desktop PC) and any music files have ANY punctuation and/or special characters in their names, EVEN ONE, the entire playlist will fail to sync. This leaves you with only manual playlist creation like mentioned above for making playlists on the phone.
Squishy Tia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2011, 06:24   #3
avital.chissick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy Tia View Post
...You just put your finger on the folder, and when the popup menu appears, select "Add to playlist" or "create playlist". You can then select the playlist or type in the name of one you wish to create...
Tia, thank you.

But in which app do I do that ?
In winamp I couldn't find any reference or view of folders.
Old 6th October 2011, 23:23   #4
Squishy Tia

Quote:
Originally Posted by avital.chissick View Post
Tia, thank you.

But in which app do I do that ?
In winamp I couldn't find any reference or view of folders.
You do so from within Winamp itself.

Main screen -> Lightning logo (press it) -> Albums -> Select folder containing your songs (assuming it is a flat folder with no other sub-folders inside it) by holding your finger on the folder name and selecting "Add to playlist". You can then choose to add to an existing playlist or create a new one.
Old 7th October 2011, 07:34   #5
avital.chissick

My folder contains over 100 mp3 files, from various artists and albums.
When I use what you suggested, the selection for the folder names gets me a small subset of the music files from that folder, and after checking I realized the the subset were files that had an empty Album tag.

So this does not add a folder, it adds an album.

The only way to make this work would be to re-tag the files and have the all get the same Album tag.

Adding a folder contents to a playlist is a very common task.
Old 17th October 2011, 01:18   #6
Squishy Tia

I've noticed this behaviour as well. I have a folder marked "Other Music" on my computer. I copied it over to my SD card and only some items got copied into the playlist while the rest did not. If there are various album tags (as in some files from different albums), Winamp sees only those of the specific album, in my case the "unknown" album(s) and copies those into the playlist.

It's frustrating as hell, and instead of Winamp being "smart" it's actually being quite dumb and making what should be a simple one time selection a total nightmare.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp for Android