Old 31st December 2011, 07:13   #1
xlordvader

Winamp Makeover

Been sticking with Winamp, since the days when Winamp was the definition of a media library and the de facto music player for Windows.

I think its time Winamp did a overhaul of the interface. Personally I like
Cpro - minimal
http://www.winamp.com/skin/cpro-minimal/222356

Although, I wish I could have that skin without having to install cpro. I feel its a little sluggish and buggy on my Windows 7 x64.

I would love to see a Winamp 8.. or something. Please guys its 2012 already. Don't have too much time
xlordvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2012, 16:17   #2
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

The "re-write" thread has already been done... go and read that for what people think. (Summary - not going to happen)

And your request is just a skin request. So play with more different skins, and if you don't like cPro then make your own.

If you spend time digging through all the old skins, no doubt you will find something else similar to that butt ugly example you have linked to.
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2012, 02:24   #3
xlordvader

What re-write thread. ? Mine ain't a skin request. I want more feautres - don't know what really.. but something new.

I certainly want the shoutcast section cleaned up (I know I should probably state all this in the wishlist section). Searching and bookmarking streams is not very intuitive. A book mark shows me all the streams available for that one station (Playlist i understand that). But winamp already finds the stream it can use on its own. i don't really need to see all those streams. I would rather line up different station in my playlist. There are a few other minor things that could be worked on.
And yeah i'm going to make my way to the wishlist section of the forum.

I have gone through skins - there isn't much new stuff that really interests me. You got any butt ugly skins that you would want to share ?
Old 5th January 2012, 09:27   #4
DrO

Batter Pudding is referring to http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=339248

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2012, 06:11   #5
xlordvader

Cool and Thanks !
Although, I found another one along those lines and I read "WINAMP 6" !!!!
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=323562

I'm not too keen on a complete re-write. It has its drawbacks and is a painfully long process. Plus, I don't think there are any major issues with Winamp that it needs a re-write (but that's just me). What I think it really needs is a clean up of the UI, so that its features can be accessed more intuitively. Even if you skin it, its still the same on the inside. Making it feel a bit dated.

Anyways, just waiting on that 6! and hopefully some new features and skins :P
Old 6th January 2012, 10:53   #6
DrO

although it's mentioned, no one knows really if / when that would happen or what it'd be or anything specific. Winamp 5.5 could have been Winamp 6 - it's just a number and doesn't really have much standing on things e.g. look at all of the browser version numbers which mean little nowadays.

eitherway, if you don't like the ui (which a lot of people do and is why they keep using Winamp), you need to find or even better create your own skin which better suits what you're wanting. however, as discussed in the thread i linked to, a re-write will not magically improve things and i personally fear than such changes would be too late / cause more issues than it's worth - too many people use Winamp 2.x still after the Winamp3 debacle (to put things in context).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2012, 23:11   #7
xlordvader

Yeah that is true.. I'm not looking for a re-write either. Also I understand its just a number.

But looking at the past history of Winamp. They only jumped to a new number (2,3,5) when it was a drastic change from an earlier version. And usually it came with new features and a moderately revamped interface.

If my understanding is correct, creating a skin would only change the look. What I'm talking about is more in depth change of how the features like online services, device sync, podcasts are accessed in Winamp. I definitely don't dislike the interface. I like it over totally simplistic interfaces like itunes or songbird. But I think there is room for improvement.

Not sure if skinning it further will really help. Plus I haven't ever attempted creating skins even for Winamp 2 (which I felt was relatively simpler, when I read the docs.) Don't know about 5.
May be I'll have a look at skinning... one day. Procrastination lol
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Tags
interface, overhaul, winamp 8