Old 2nd July 2001, 00:21   #41
s1138
Alumni?

Send a message via ICQ to s1138 Send a message via AIM to s1138 Send a message via Yahoo to s1138
no they just say that.
if you EVER have a copy of a song on your computer that didnt directly come from your privately owned CD, then its illegal

s1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2001, 00:49   #42
ampburner
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to ampburner Send a message via AIM to ampburner Send a message via Yahoo to ampburner
LOL - Do I seem that stupid?
ampburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2001, 01:21   #43
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

That's true.
You know how many pirated movies exist on VHS?
Millions.
We know it, they no it.
Nothing they can do about it.
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2001, 01:28   #44
achfan

Send a message via AIM to achfan Send a message via Yahoo to achfan
ok i'm shocked by what i see that it is illegal to have the mp3s of copied copyright files i hope nothing happens to people who have the files they got on napster
achfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2001, 12:20   #45
Budgie
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Budgie
*LOL* - What do you think they should do? Go over everyone's house asking if you are in possession of any (illegal) MP3s and check if you have Napster installed?

Nobody can ever control stuff like that. MP3s are illegal if you do not own the original medium (CD, vinyl, tape, and so on). It's basically the same just as every other pirated media.

Peace out.

Please consider the Forum Rules before posting utter crap. Thank you!
Budgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2001, 12:34   #46
ampburner
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to ampburner Send a message via AIM to ampburner Send a message via Yahoo to ampburner
Mr. T says: Don't do drugs! stay in school! delete your mp3!
ampburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2001, 17:42   #47
NeoMoose

Send a message via ICQ to NeoMoose Send a message via AIM to NeoMoose
Napster just plain sucks. Gnucleus is the shit.
NeoMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2001, 19:22   #48
Markrian

Location: Sometimes I wish I was single - only sometimes though
Send a message via ICQ to Markrian
Even though I'm entering this thread quite late, I've got a few things to say. First of all, as Chev pointed out, don't complain about a free service. You're getting it for free, all you have to do is USE it. Well, look up the word "service" in the old dictoionary just so you have the definition right in your heads.

Also, don't bash Napster around - it was a revolutionary bit of software (admittedly not anything that groundbreaking) but it was the first of its kind to become exctremely well known. And being the first of the new generation of filesharing, it was obviously gonna suffer just as any pioneer or revolutionary would - take Joan of Arc, or Galileo, as a couple of examples, if you don't know any history.

With all these other filesharing products, like Kazaa, iMesh, BearShare, which are free and better than Napster, who cares if Napster now has a monthly fee? You don't have to put it down... You may as well complain about HMV or Virgin Megastores for charging for CDs!

Getting the media for free is illegal - so don't call people who share poor quality mp3s names, after all: beggars can't be choosers.

As for what zachdude said near the beginning of this thread, he's obviously one of the americans that have some sort of weird Aryan attitude about their country. I'm not saying that all americans are like that, not at all - hell, us europeans have been/are like that - take Hitler! It's just annoying to see pathetic comments like this.
Markrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2001, 19:40   #49
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

If nothing else, I salute Napster for bringing the plight of the musician to the public eye!
They've been screwed, just as the consumer has, by the recording industry for years.

Praise napster for at least showing everyone what scum runs the music industry.
Old 3rd July 2001, 04:48   #50
DJ ROACH
Chick God
[Major Dude]

Send a message via AIM to DJ ROACH
no you no what’s realy annoying. people who get annoyed with something they read (that they have the power not to read) and then get annoyed with it. then post their annoyance.
THATS ANNOYING LIKE TYPING IN CAPITOALS.
ok everyone you are all entitled to your own opinion. the minute you start calling people stupid your being a bigot.
get the fuck over it.
it realy shames me to see intelligent posts only to be insults to trash some one for having a different opinion or for describing something.
Grrrrrrrrrrrr bring it on.
i like the debate i just hate the insult and slams.
people grow the fuck up.
seriously
whats the point of replying if you cant keep the debate a debate.
huh?
tell me?
WTF
DJ ROACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2001, 05:09   #51
pyu

Send a message via ICQ to pyu
I dun give a damn.

Napster's dead, Long live Audiogalaxy.

IMO, Napster just trying to survive.

When will RIAA go after Audiogalaxy? After all, the number of downloads from CNET shows that Audiogalaxy has been downloaded over ten million times...
pyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2001, 07:14   #52
Grimlock

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheepy Deepy
Just heard that as discussed with record industry representitives, Napster plans to slap on a monthly/annual fee to the globally used music sharing facility.

Ok, so Napster is really nice to use, but what sort of person is going to pay up when there are so many other file sharing programs like Imesh, Gnetella...? the list is endless (not to forget its sister counterpart - Aimster).

Indeed, if you do pay the fee, it appears that you are no longer breaking the law by sharing copyright music. (???)

sHEEPY dEEPY
I'm not paying for nothing. For one thing I think this service is gonna be seriously limited in terms of what we can get on it. As for the other file sharinr programs, Imesh is implemeting a filter just like Napster and Kazaa annoucned that it would be fee based soon. I think they will all fall eventually. I thinkk the future of free services like this lie in the hands of people like Flipr.com where the service is still free but legal. I don't hold much hope for the others cause it's just a matter of time before they move on to the next hot thing..
Grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2001, 07:53   #53
Markrian

Location: Sometimes I wish I was single - only sometimes though
Send a message via ICQ to Markrian
Quote:
Originally posted by DJ ROACH
no you no what’s realy annoying. people who get annoyed with something they read (that they have the power not to read) and then get annoyed with it. then post their annoyance.
ok everyone you are all entitled to your own opinion. the minute you start calling people stupid your being a bigot.
get the fuck over it.
it realy shames me to see intelligent posts only to be insults to trash some one for having a different opinion or for describing something.
people grow the fuck up.
seriously
huh?
tell me?
WTF
ok, ok... sorry I said anything at all
Markrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2001, 08:05   #54
DJ ROACH
Chick God
[Major Dude]

does anybody know the legal statue a goverment can take over another for breaking its laws?
for example:
say i set up a server like napster
i base and run operations out of a country with no laws on copyright.
so "i" would not be breaking the law.
"they" the people who d/l in other countries would.
theres no way they could bust all of "they"
does anyone knoe the legal part?
Old 3rd July 2001, 09:03   #55
DJ ROACH
Chick God
[Major Dude]

Quote:
Originally posted by sawg
I am no lawyer, but this is what I have heard. if a service like napster is set up in another country that does not obey US copyright laws the server operate cannot be touched (Many countries will abide by the DMCA is there are US copyright violations, not too sure how it works). Now on the other hand by downloading the tracks you can be prosecuted because it is still a copyright violation on your part and in theory government/RIAA/MPAA could go after you. I doubt this will happen with the negative backlash against the recording industry already it would not look good in the media "Big record company goes after poor fan for downloading the latest Metallica Single".

But then again, I am no lawyer and I may not be too accurate.
how would "we" the goverment know whos d/l from the sight?
if this was set up it would be close to impossible for them to take action. huh? hmmmmm....anyone know a country w/o copyright laws. ohhh and a whole crap load of bandwith.
i just thought of something.
could the riaa go after the service providers for ading?
Old 3rd July 2001, 14:51   #56
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Ever heard of INTERPOL?
Read the fine print sometime.
Old 5th July 2001, 20:58   #57
DJ ROACH
Chick God
[Major Dude]

I was just reading an article in the L.A. times today about napster. (I tried to scan it so i could show everyone but my shity printer/scanner/fax/peace of shit ate it) any way it was talking of how it’s been shut down the last few days over software problems and so on. Then it started talking about the people that have sued them and then it got into it becoming a pay sight. Then it said that once it’s a pay sight they would keep track of the names and songs so they can pay the royalties to the artist.
Ok that pissed me off. So now they dont only make money of me once for buying the cd they now make money of me distributing it for them! WTF (my bandwidth my computer my time my hd space is it realy suck a privilege to have it?) screw that unless there is some incentive the riaa is not going to make one more FUCKING dollar off me. Its enough i bought the music now if i did this i would pay to have the music copied from me hmmmm lets put this in a list.
1. I buy a cd riaa/artist gets $18 (i know there’s overhead)
2. I put it on my computer
3. I join napster say it cost $10 a month
4. Some one D/L this song from said cd. The riaa gets $0.50
Every time it’s D/L.
Its fucking awesome for them absolutely no fucking overhead what so ever!
It’s like getting money for free.
Im the distributor what’s even worse i pay to be the distributor.
Sound a little fuct?
I think so.
How is the riaa making the money?
Off the very program that was made to defeat them, NAPSTER.
This is why i will not use NAPSTER when it becomes a pay sight.
See its funny, i bet they promote napster after a while.
There’s no telling exactly how much one cd could make now.
$18 some one puts it on their computer
They share it on napster 300 times in a year $150.00
Total they mad off one cd just in one year $168.00 :P
Who’s going to make it possible?
NAPSTER
Old 5th July 2001, 21:36   #58
s1138
Alumni?

Send a message via ICQ to s1138 Send a message via AIM to s1138 Send a message via Yahoo to s1138
i dont use napster.

big companies have a habit of fucking the consumer over. (despite the fact they always do it for our benefit. YEAH RIGHT!)

s1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2001, 22:54   #59
barelytethered

I'd Pay

If the mp3's were high quality, I was able to burn them to disc and they weren't filtered to hell like they are now, I'd pay. Napster was so much better then Bearshare or Limewire because the transfer rates were so much better and connections a lot more stable. The files weren't corrupted as often either. Considering that with cable I could easily download more then a few cd's worth of songs a month, I think the service would be well worth the cost.

What I would really like to see is a service like this set up by the artists themselves. That way music would be cheaper, but they'd be recieving almost 100% of the funds, going behind RIAA and the recording industries backs. Smashing Pumpkins tried it with their last cd. Despite the fact that sales were dismal is comparison with all their other cds, it was the most profitable for them. If a network was setup where all bands did this, the music would be cheaper, artists would have more freedom as well as more financial security, and the RIAA wouldn't have the clout it does now.
barelytethered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2001, 00:44   #60
DJ ROACH
Chick God
[Major Dude]

Re: I'd Pay

Quote:
Originally posted by barelytethered

What I would really like to see is a service like this set up by the artists themselves. That way music would be cheaper, but they'd be recieving almost 100% of the funds, going behind RIAA and the recording industries backs. Smashing Pumpkins tried it with their last cd. Despite the fact that sales were dismal is comparison with all their other cds, it was the most profitable for them. If a network was setup where all bands did this, the music would be cheaper, artists would have more freedom as well as more financial security, and the RIAA wouldn't have the clout it does now.
now that is something i completely agree with! if it was in the hands of the artist and publicly controlled, pricing would be fair. if the artist wants to charge more then what the public thinks is fair, that artist won’t last long. most importantly bands made just for the profit by record industries (like boybands) will be a thing of the past J/K i just cant see ethics in paying money to make a industry (wich i think is already unfair) more money.
$18-20 for a cd with 2 good songs on it screw that, what’s the mark up hmmm like 65-75% or more. (dvds almost twice that) would you pay $20 bucks for a bottle of water? now if i did something like paying to share my music and at the same time make them more money, which would be completely against my personal ethics. However you look at i think that we all can agree it would be a much more fair market if controlled by and for the artist. Instead of de regulating the power it should have been the music and film industries!
Old 6th July 2001, 16:53   #61
zachdude

Send a message via AIM to zachdude
Quote:
Originally posted by Markrian
Quote:
Originally posted by DJ ROACH
get the fuck over it.
people grow the fuck up.
seriously
huh?
tell me?
WTF
ok, ok... sorry I said anything at all
The only reason that I said American was because Napster is an American company, I could have said North American, or Human, and it would have had the same meaning... sorry to ruffle anyone's feathers...
zachdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions