Old 18th December 2004, 01:26   #41
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
1) To be alive the system must be able to reproduce. I personally have never seen or heard of any atom, quark, etc, spawning another of the same.

2) if it is not alive, it can not possibly be intelligent. For the sake of argument, let's assume that yes, the Atom is alive. Does that in turn denote intelligence? When we look at a plant, we know it is alive, but is a plant intelligent? That depends on how one defines 'intelligence.' Dictionary.com (which I believe is Websters, but I could be wrong, it makes no difference) defines it as:
  • The capacity to acquire and apply knowledge.
  • The faculty of thought and reason.
To combine those definitions one can arrive at a definition which says intelligence is:
the ability to receive and process information and react accordingly
Now let us look again at the plant. The plant sense's the sun, and the plant grows towards the sun. The plant also sends its roots into the ground. One could argue that the plant received the sun, and grew accordingly, and this, has intelligence, but this is where the definition becomes grey.

True as it may be that the plant grew accordingly, but what made it do so? It certainly did not process any information, did it? Does it have any reasoning ability? Most would say 'no, the plant grew that way because that is what plants do. Again, it is difficult to prove either way, but I do think most would say that the plant is not intelligent.

Either way, however, it matters not, as the atom is not alive, so to debate its intelligence is mute.
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2004, 02:07   #42
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
How am I so sure that my bedsheets or toilet paper is not aware themselves then?

Oh...I shudder at what they'd think of me...

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2004, 18:24   #43
Sir_Ed

Quote:
Originally posted by squakMix
And how do we know that there arent tiny donkeys living in our water?
...because there's no reason to believe that.
Ah, but there being no reason to believe something does not automatically render it impossible.
Who says the things living in our water won't someday evolve into a bigger and better donkey and call itself Horse's Ass?

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." - Jack Nicholson
Sir_Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2004, 18:36   #44
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
It hasn't happened for countless of billions of years since the creation of the universe...It ain't gonna happen how...

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2004, 03:25   #45
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by dlinkwit27
True as it may be that the plant grew accordingly, but what made it do so? It certainly did not process any information, did it? Does it have any reasoning ability? Most would say 'no, the plant grew that way because that is what plants do. Again, it is difficult to prove either way, but I do think most would say that the plant is not intelligent.
Actually, from an entirely materialistic view of the universe, that's exactly the same as a human doing something - more complex, but, essencially, exactly the same.

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
The DMCA. It really is that bad. : Count for your life.
xzxzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2004, 03:36   #46
Smeggle
Just Strolling By
(Major Dude)

wondering if I could maybe move this in a different direction. Most are getting hooked up in the anology of 'Life' or 'Living Entities' as a complex whole.

Move it back to Atoms and there constructional parts - then hook that with 'Frequency' and/or 'Resonance'.

here's an interesting statement;

'The Colour(color) of Sound' or should it be 'The Sound of Colour(color)'?

If 'Colour(color) is a sound - Then can colour(color) be made from sound?

btw some very interesting ideas and points - thanks for the input

~

Music is Life, Love and Happiness :|: Life is Music. Serren - 1985 - 2005
Religion? Religion is a Blasphemy against humanity - From the film What the Bleep do we know

siggy link So stumbling? whats it all about
Smeggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2004, 10:59   #47
Mrs_Mia_Wallace
has a crush on Bilbo
(Forum Queen)

Location: Switzerland Posts: The starting points at a racetrack.
I'm not really sure what you mean Smeggle but I know people who are Synesthetics - they see colors when they hear sounds etc, their senses are all mixed up...but that's not what you are referring to I think.

A color for me is light of a certain wavelength, not a sound, could you maybe specify your question?

Mia
Mrs_Mia_Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2004, 11:26   #48
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
In a way, colors are sounds, because as Mia said, colors are just frequencies on the electromagnetic spectrum. The spectrum runs from subsonic, sound, AM Radio waves, shortwave radio waves, FM radio and Television, Radar, to Microwaves, far IR (Infrared), IR, visable light (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indago, violet), UV (ultra violet), x-ray, gamma rays, cosmic rays.

the visable light spectrum runs from 384 THz to 769 THz (That's TERAherts. 1 THz = 1,000,000,000,000 hertz).

code:
Color | Wavelength (nm) | Frequency (THz)
Red | 780 - 622 | 384 - 482
Orange | 622 - 597 | 482 - 503
Yellow | 597 - 577 | 503 - 520
Green | 577 - 492 | 520 - 610
Blue | 492 - 455 | 610 - 659
Violet | 455 - 390 | 659 - 769

The thing with light though, is that the photon acts both as a wave and a particle (the particle being the carrier particle for electromagnetic interactions). This can be seen by shining a light through two very thin slits on a piece of cardboard, and looking at the resulting light pattern that shines through the slits.

Also, all objects absorb light. When you see something that has color to it, it is becuase a small part of the visable light wavelength is being reflected off of the surface, while the rest of the wavelengths are being absorbed. You see a shade of red on an object because that object may be reflecting the 660 nanometer wavelength, and absorbing the rest.

SSJ4 Gogitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2004, 12:31   #49
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

That's shit. Sound is not an electromagnetic wave, QED you are wrong .

For long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide, and balanced on the biggest wave you race towards an early grave.
|Musicbrainz|Audioscrobbler|last.fm|
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2004, 12:52   #50
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
Sound can be converted into electromagnetic energy and electromagnetic energy can be converted to sound. I see no reason why electromagnetic waves can't be seen as sound in that sense. Ever heard the hum of a power transmission line?

SSJ4 Gogitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2004, 14:23   #51
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

They can be converted to sound, that doesn't mean they ARE sound, far from it. Electromagnetic waves are electromagnetic energy, sound waves are kinetic energy.

For instance, the frequencies used for shore to submarine radio communication are the same as the audible frequency range, transmitted at ridiculously high power. Thankfully, we can't hear them, or we'd be hearing an awful 1kHz screeching all the time.

For long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide, and balanced on the biggest wave you race towards an early grave.
|Musicbrainz|Audioscrobbler|last.fm|
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2004, 16:07   #52
mark
Forum King

there was something on the news a while back (or maybe it was in the breaking news forum here) about some color blind music student who got a nifty set of headphones that converted color to sound so that he could hear the color. twas nifty.
mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 09:48   #53
Traffanstedt

Think about what you're saying..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydroxide76 View Post
I don't think it is physically possible for something without bodily organs, or a brain in the matter, to try to became "aware" of their surroundings, understand it, then react to it in their own specific way. They can't be that intellegent.

But then again I am proving myself wrong by saying we get infected with bacteria and viruses all the time that seemingly "know" where to attack, infect, and then produce inside the host. The issue of how the common cold is slowly becoming immune to most antibiotics because we are breeding a superbug that "learns" from the antibodies is an example.
Ok then... how do you explain jellyfish? A living, fully functional creature with no eyes, ears, brain, or heart. And marine biologists have found that these creatures don't just endlessly swim around with no purpose. So, if jellyfish are possible without brains or vital organs, then it's possible for an atom to be intelligent. Anything that reacts to something else have some sort of intelligence. Everything.
Traffanstedt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 08:27   #54
BoomerBlammo

Oh the things they must have seen if they are intelligent...
BoomerBlammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 16:06   #55
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traffanstedt View Post
Ok then... how do you explain jellyfish? A living, fully functional creature with no eyes, ears, brain, or heart. And marine biologists have found that these creatures don't just endlessly swim around with no purpose. So, if jellyfish are possible without brains or vital organs, then it's possible for an atom to be intelligent. Anything that reacts to something else have some sort of intelligence. Everything.
If you extend your definition of intelligence to being affected by external influences which would a) not be a very useful definition and b) simply create a tautological argument.

Also, jellyfish still are an organism consisting of living cells that may not be as specialized as those in our nervous system but are capable of processing and transmitting information.
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2016, 10:27   #56
Dachip

From a human perspective probably not but, from some broader definition, maybe so?
Dachip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2016, 10:42   #57
gaekwad2
Foorum King

A perspective that includes spirits and the tooth fairy.
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions