Old 16th December 2004, 19:39   #1
Smeggle
Just Strolling By
(Major Dude)

Are Atoms aware? or Intelligent even?

Do Atoms know what they are? or are they just that an Atom?

Would it be reasonable to consider that for an Atom to exist in conjunction with another Atom that it must be aware of it's neighbouring Atoms?

And if an Atom is 'Aware' of it's neighbour, then would it be true to state that it must be 'Aware' of itself?

Every thing is made from them and that includes us, any thing even the Air that surrounds us but what says that an Atom of carbon belongs to a human being say and yet the same type of Atom is a part of the surrounding Air?

If then, we follow a course that says that Atoms are 'Aware' and that they 'Know' what, where they are, would that not mean that every thing that has happened and is happening is 'recorded' somehow? and that we can 'Read' this stored information...

Essentially then 'Are Atoms Aware and if so do we then follow that they have Intelligence'?

Just some off- topic thoughts in relation to Mia's thread on Robots and A.I.

~

Music is Life, Love and Happiness :|: Life is Music. Serren - 1985 - 2005
Religion? Religion is a Blasphemy against humanity - From the film What the Bleep do we know

siggy link So stumbling? whats it all about
Smeggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2004, 19:49   #2
Wolfgang
Forum King

Well, I study chemistry and according to me, the answer is a rotund NO. They're lifeless little things, but they do cause some people to get very excited (some chemists. Not me). They have electrons whizzing round in them and you can actually "see" them using STM (Scanning Tunneling Microscopy):

That's iron atoms on a copper surface.

But I don't think they're aware. That does bring the question of "how come WE are aware, then, if we're made up of inanimate specks of matter" and I struggle to decide upon an answer for myself there.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2004, 19:58   #3
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
Not EVERYTHING are made of atoms. There are such things as quark stars. Made of, uh... quarks.

SSJ4 Gogitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2004, 20:00   #4
Smeggle
Just Strolling By
(Major Dude)

Quote:
That does bring the question of "how come WE are aware, then, if we're made up of inanimate specks of matter"
Exactly my point! Is it actually us who are aware or is it the Atom? Or is it because via electrical impulse and the order we then place the Atomical structure that gives us this ability - the ability of 'Awareness'.

We also have to factor in a very important point (and probably the most important facet IMHO) Resonance. After all even an inanimate object is made from Atoms and those Atoms are 'Alive' in that to exist they have a resonance.

~

Music is Life, Love and Happiness :|: Life is Music. Serren - 1985 - 2005
Religion? Religion is a Blasphemy against humanity - From the film What the Bleep do we know

siggy link So stumbling? whats it all about
Smeggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2004, 20:09   #5
CaboWaboAddict
Forum Sot
(Major Dude)

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolfgang
Well, I study chemistry and according to me, the answer is a rotund NO. They're lifeless little things, ...
No offense intended, but that is a very chauvanistic answer. Just because something is beyond our comprehension, doesn't mean it can't be.

Idiot's Advocate
My site (under construction)
CaboWaboAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2004, 20:11   #6
Hydroxide76

Send a message via AIM to Hydroxide76
I don't think it is physically possible for something without bodily organs, or a brain in the matter, to try to became "aware" of their surroundings, understand it, then react to it in their own specific way. They can't be that intellegent.

But then again I am proving myself wrong by saying we get infected with bacteria and viruses all the time that seemingly "know" where to attack, infect, and then produce inside the host. The issue of how the common cold is slowly becoming immune to most antibiotics because we are breeding a superbug that "learns" from the antibodies is an example.
Hydroxide76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2004, 20:28   #7
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Atoms are made of electrons, protons and neutrons. The atom itself isn't a single object, but a collection of anywhere between two to hundreds of these three fundamental particles. And even more so, there are lots more particles, such as quarks (three of which make up protons and neutrons), w and z bosons (weak nuclear force carriers, which play a role in transmuting one quark to another type (or leptons into another type of lepton) as well as forming heavy nuclei), gluons, which hold atomic nuclei together, as well as hold the quarks together in the form of protons and neutrons, as well as more than a dozen other elementary particles. If atoms are “alive”, then the elementary particles that make up the atom (or in some way, have to do with its formation and structure) must be alive as well. If none of the elementary particles are alive, and yet the atom is, then it can just as likely be that atoms are not alive, yet the combination of atoms into molecules and other more complex structures can be alive. The latter is my belief and take on it.

Old 16th December 2004, 20:32   #8
Wolfgang
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboWaboAddict
No offense intended, but that is a very chauvanistic answer. Just because something is beyond our comprehension, doesn't mean it can't be.
True. But I did say "according to me."

I really don't think atoms are anything more than a collection of subatomic particles, as Gogitta said, that somehow, when arranged properly, create something aware. There is something missing in the whole "what sparked life off" thing, and I haven't made up my mind yet. Maybe I never will.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2004, 20:41   #9
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Life is just a name.
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2004, 20:45   #10
Mrs_Mia_Wallace
has a crush on Bilbo
(Forum Queen)

Location: Switzerland Posts: The starting points at a racetrack.
My opinion is basically the same as Wolfgang's and Gogitta's. To me, atoms are not alive since they don't grow, have a metabolism (they can change charge but I don't consider that a metabolism), and they cannot reproduce themselves - not regarding core reactions since they are not reproduction as we consider it but simply falling apart. Since they are not alive, they cannot be aware of themselves or their surroundings. They act because of their forces around it but in my opinion do not have a knowledge about it nor have a choice to do so. Intelligence for me is the ability to learn or solve problems which atoms clearly don't posess.

I have to agree though that the microscopic worls is fascinating, even more proteins that are designed in a way to just react to certain elements and perform work only when it's needed - they are not aware either but the whole machinery is nevertheless extremely interesting - for me at least, that's why I study biochemistry

Cabo - I don't think Wolfgang meant it the way that no one else can have a different opinion, we were asked to give our thoughts and he simply stated what his opinion was.

And I'm glad that my other thread inspired you Smeggle!

Mia
Mrs_Mia_Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2004, 20:46   #11
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

It isn't really the atoms their selves that arrange themselves into something that create something aware. Clumps of different atoms form molecules (some of which are amino acids), which can form DNA (another acid, deoxyribonucleic acid, to be exact), which can lead to the formation of virus’ with the help of other acids and molecules, which can lead to single-celled organisms, which can later evolve to multi-cellular organisms, and so on and so forth, until you get to the human species. It just so happens that the brains of humans are able to “think” ((develop complex response to simple stimuli, to which the entire body responds to (the response to the stimuli itself becomes a stimuli)). This “thinking” gave rise to more complex thought, which eventually allowed us to come to the conclusion that we “think, therefore, we are”.

Old 16th December 2004, 21:15   #12
S-uper_T-oast
Forum King

And a man on acid today decided that all matter is just energy moving very slowly.
S-uper_T-oast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2004, 21:39   #13
mark
Forum King

yeah, i suppose it is.
mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2004, 21:46   #14
Germ
rules all things

I think that you're all clueless
Germ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2004, 22:37   #15
MaTTFURY
Major Dude

im more clueless... on further note;
were only human... humans use go... simple... like anyother animal ... (genesis, cell, whatever, atoms*) .. there just here to be used by us... but we have the brains to do what they can do... but there brains are our brains... they ARE THERE FOR THE TAKING... like anyother human lifeform -
-> Cow -> Processed -> Eaten -> Shit -> cooked -> end of life ...
but they dont have to be used...

i am not normal, no really.
MaTTFURY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2004, 22:44   #16
mikm
Major Dude

GrammarBot v .05 Loaded
Attempting to parse thread.

Line 02: we're only human... humans use go... simple...
Error! Bad Grammar Overload!

powered by C₂H₅OH
mikm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2004, 22:49   #17
Sir_Ed

Quote:
They can't be that intellegent.
The following isn't very relevant to the topic, since we've already established and seemimngly agreed that atoms are lifeless, but am I right in assuming there's a difference between intelligence and instinct?

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." - Jack Nicholson
Sir_Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2004, 22:52   #18
MaTTFURY
Major Dude

you got the point though didnt you? + they should include a grammar check & spell check :P

i am not normal, no really.
MaTTFURY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2004, 22:54   #19
Mrs_Mia_Wallace
has a crush on Bilbo
(Forum Queen)

Location: Switzerland Posts: The starting points at a racetrack.
I'd say there is a big difference, short said, to me instinct is simply the ability to react accordingly on your environment, maybe even from experience, but intelligence is the ability to reason and plan your actions rather than just do something without considering effects etc. Now if it is always better to act according to your intellect and not your instincts is a whole different question

Mia
Mrs_Mia_Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2004, 22:57   #20
mikm
Major Dude

Actually, I couldn't understand it at all. "Humans use go" - that makes no sense whatsoever.