Old 28th June 2001, 10:56   #1
Sheepy Deepy

Just heard that as discussed with record industry representitives, Napster plans to slap on a monthly/annual fee to the globally used music sharing facility.

Ok, so Napster is really nice to use, but what sort of person is going to pay up when there are so many other file sharing programs like Imesh, Gnetella...? the list is endless (not to forget its sister counterpart - Aimster).

Indeed, if you do pay the fee, it appears that you are no longer breaking the law by sharing copyright music. (???)

sHEEPY dEEPY
Sheepy Deepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2001, 12:30   #2
s1138
Alumni?

Send a message via ICQ to s1138 Send a message via AIM to s1138 Send a message via Yahoo to s1138
im too young. i dont have a credit card.

s1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2001, 13:05   #3
drox

Napster subscription service

According to Napster @ a press conference a few days ago, users have "demanded" to pay for their service! That's a heaping pile of bull, though, and they know it - and shall feel it when users stick with free services like WinMX and Morpheus while Napster is left standing there with it's hands out.

Napster says consumers are concerned that artists are getting ripped off. If that was so, why have they not boycotted the record industries for ripping off artists AND consumers for decades now?

The whole concept of a file sharing service where users can only download specific songs to which the service is licensed is just foolish anyway...they might as well put all the songs they can legally distribute on a web site or server and allow people to download it there. It's pointless to try to maintain the facade of a sharing community; if people don't see it already they will as soon as they start using it for a while...
drox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2001, 15:59   #4
OutKast

Send a message via AIM to OutKast
Who the hell is going to pay it, i agree with drox, i mean the best file sharing program i know is bearshare,

http://www.bearshare.com

This is completely free and you can also download other files .avi .gif .mpeg and so on. Any way is the government going to shutdown every file swapping program on the net

OutKast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2001, 16:03   #5
zorpidus
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to zorpidus
Napster's nearly deserted. Paying to download isn't gonna make that better.

People being concerned that artists are being ripped off is the most ridiculous statement I've heard from Napster ever.

zorpidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2001, 16:29   #6
zachdude

Send a message via AIM to zachdude
I agree, if people were really concerned about ripping artists off, they would send them checks in the mail... if anyone is ripping artists off, it's the RIAA...
zachdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2001, 16:36   #7
Urkel

I've uninstalled Napster right after they started using those filters... and I sure as hell am not going to pay for it. They'd have to pay me to use it...
Urkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2001, 16:50   #8
scottyc
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to scottyc
right on, Urkel!

(and i love the name, what a refreshing flashback to the early 90's and what i fondly remember as TGIF!
scottyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2001, 18:59   #9
piesupreme
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to piesupreme Send a message via AIM to piesupreme Send a message via Yahoo to piesupreme
right on urke! the thing is, if napster improved, i.e no transfer errors, no stupid file names, the quality of bearshare and the range of audiogalaxy, and the sheer size of all combined, then i'd pay for it. but the chances of that happening are....

fuck-all.

use the search, that's what it's there for.
Jungle Ravers never die, all we do is multiply
piesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2001, 20:54   #10
ampburner
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to ampburner Send a message via AIM to ampburner Send a message via Yahoo to ampburner
What is this napster you speak of?
ampburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2001, 20:58   #11
zachdude

either you're not from america, or you've been in a cave for the past year or two...

It's an MP3 sharing prog. the "first" one to become widely popular, therefore the first one to be attacked by the RIAA
Old 28th June 2001, 23:50   #12
Budgie
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Budgie
@ zachdude: ROFL, are you that naive? Ampburner tried to be ironic ... He was trying to say that since Napster totally sold out, installed filter software which actually disables you to find any known songs at all, nobody uses it anymore ...

There are so many other alternatives around, yet no single attempt even comes close to Napster as we used to know it ... Sadly ... WinMX might be pretty cool at the beginning, yet it turns out that downloading songs is quite a challenge (both with my 56k dial-up and my friends' ISDN and DSL lines). Morpheus and Kazaa are okay - On the one hand, they have a rather huge user community (which means many songs can be found), but both software only allows downloading MP3s up to 128 kbits ... Ow ... Audiogalaxy is, in my opinion, still the better way to download music.

My 2 cents ... Ack, broke now

Peace out.

Please consider the Forum Rules before posting utter crap. Thank you!
Budgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2001, 00:48   #13
ampburner
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to ampburner Send a message via AIM to ampburner Send a message via Yahoo to ampburner
LOL

And the irony is that my joke would have been lame if you hadn't reacted

P.S.
What does living oustide of the U.S. have to do with it? I hear Al Gore has invented some sort of 'international net' or something that would allow europeans to connect to it aswell? beats me!
Old 29th June 2001, 00:54   #14
The Only Lynx
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to The Only Lynx
you are the grass, let you grow?
ok.. you will need some sun and water though

"when you are with me i'm free, i'm careless, i believe"
The Only Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2001, 17:50   #15
Budgie
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Budgie
@ ampburner: Hehehehee, irony indeed . Maybe zachdude tried to be ironic, too? ... I seriously doubt it tho . Additionally, I really don't know what living outside the US has to do with Napster - I live in Germany and Napster was on the news so many times, besides everybody I know (even my grandma!) knows about Napster. Heh.

@ The Only Lynx: Hehehe, you actually are the 2nd person who figured out my sig . I guess it's time to make a new one with a different font *lol* ... Talkin' 'bout the sun and water - Good thing it's summer with lots of warm showers over here, so I am surely gettin' enough water and sun

Peace out guys.

Please consider the Forum Rules before posting utter crap. Thank you!
Budgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2001, 21:30   #16
drox

Napster digs even deeper

This is just a public service announcement to make sure people don't actually pay for this shit service:

* The new Napster will allow only low-quality mp3s to be traded.

* mp3s downloaded from the service will not be burnable to CD. (although I don't know how this will work)

* Subscriptions will cost between $7 - $14 (5-10 pounds)

This isn't heresay either, all from Napster inc. themselves.
Old 29th June 2001, 21:49   #17
DJ ROACH
Chick God
[Major Dude]

Send a message via AIM to DJ ROACH
see the riaa eats my ass! realy they pushed napster to be: sold out lossers in total decay! fuck the riaa.(such a poet)
and this bull shit low quality mp3's?
one of napsters fatal attempts to please the record industry and keep the $ signs in thier eyes. *AUGH* wtf napster your so dead just die now with honnor dont be a seelout looser.
low quality mp3....hmmmm...never heard of it...i guess cuz its just 2 easy to turn a scratched 45 into cd quality!
and the other thing not recordable! do they have fuckin idots in thier reaserch or just 60yr old accountants that still cant use a speak & spell?
serious, um ok well lets see i play the song thru winamp like im broadcasting as it records it in wav into a file.
thats the easy way for any body to figure out how do do it beside the millions of other ways to do it.
napster is fucked.
all the riaa did was give me lotsa contacts thru napster that have huge amounts of music (like me) that i can trade privatly with thru something like aimster.
PLEASE JUST DIE NAPSTER YOU GET ME WAY TO WORKED UP!
DJ ROACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2001, 22:03   #18
Ice
Moderator Alumni
Americas Favorite Smut Peddler

irc or ftp groups are still the best way to go.

I'd like to meet a mad man who makes it all seem sane
To work out all these troubles and what there is to gain
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2001, 00:29   #19
bonj
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to bonj
I'm getting really sick of people saying how much Napster sucks and Napster should die, and Napster is just a bunch of sellout losers, blah blah blah. Have a little respect. These guys fought harder than anybody to change the face of the music industry and make it legal for everybody to freely obtain music.

Yes the service is rather useless now, but there are people willing to pay. Trust me, I know a few. If you had the potential to profit from a product you created, because you have tons of loyal "sheep" you know you would do it too, but you know they tried their hardest to keep it free.

heh?
bonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2001, 01:24   #20
NeoRenegade
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NeoRenegade Send a message via AIM to NeoRenegade
Re: Napster digs even deeper

Quote:
Originally posted by drox
* mp3s downloaded from the service will not be burnable to CD. (although I don't know how this will work)
Well, thank God for the DiskWriter plugin!

And as far as the quality issue goes, there are already too many idiots sharing low-q files on Napster, and we may just see some decent-sounding 128kbps files.
NeoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2001, 02:23   #21
DJ ROACH
Chick God
[Major Dude]

hmm loyaly sheep sounds like aol

Quote:
Originally posted by bonj
I'm getting really sick of people saying how much Napster sucks and Napster should die, and Napster is just a bunch of sellout losers, blah blah blah. Have a little respect. These guys fought harder than anybody to change the face of the music industry and make it legal for everybody to freely obtain music.

Yes the service is rather useless now, but there are people willing to pay. Trust me, I know a few. If you had the potential to profit from a product you created, because you have tons of loyal "sheep" you know you would do it too, but you know they tried their hardest to keep it free.
i mailed congress, i was part of the napster action network. i even went as far as spending 3 weeks instant messging people to sign boycots to th riaa. (was over 5000 people) trust me i fought hard for the cause when there was one. now the wolf is no longer in sheeps clothing. they now see the sweet spot in the (largely potential) money making cow they had is dry (and they are screwed). making money was the ultimate goal. other wise they would not have fought that hard to now conform to some value village welfair style mp3 sight. if the service would have stayed the same as it was when it first started...shit....id pay $50-100 a month (easy). im sorry to say that the iraa did not solve a problem just made a usless example & becasue of napsters willingness to conforum all they did was help the riaa (evil empire) so in my mind napster is worthless. this is just my opion. i have followed napster very closely up until the last 2 months and i wont get into why i stoped. i have been a napster member sence 1999.
Old 30th June 2001, 02:39   #22
Scarface2k1
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Scarface2k1 Send a message via AIM to Scarface2k1 Send a message via Yahoo to Scarface2k1
Quote:
Originally posted by Sheepy Deepy
Just heard that as discussed with record industry representitives, Napster plans to slap on a monthly/annual fee to the globally used music sharing facility.

Ok, so Napster is really nice to use, but what sort of person is going to pay up when there are so many other file sharing programs like Imesh, Gnetella...? the list is endless (not to forget its sister counterpart - Aimster).

Indeed, if you do pay the fee, it appears that you are no longer breaking the law by sharing copyright music. (???)

sHEEPY dEEPY
dude, no offence but....

....where in the hell have you been i herd about this in december!
Scarface2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2001, 09:32   #23
drox

Eh...

Quote:
These guys fought harder than anybody to change the face of the music industry and make it legal for everybody to freely obtain music.
I can't really agree...Napster was bought up pretty early by money-making interests; the goal has been to turn into a subscription service for quite some time, it's the legal battles and lack of a solid plan that delayed it so long. They have fought to change the way music is distributed? yes. Was it about making free distribution legal? hardly. It was more to make their own distribution method free. A matter of profits. The freedom/community b.s. is still posted all over their site; I bought into it early off but really, anybody who is calling congress in defense of Napster is really just acting as free legal help to one of many bigwig fee-based music networks ready to burst upon the internet and keep the distribution of music firmly in the hands of the big entertainment companies.
Old 30th June 2001, 11:28   #24
ddeaco

Send a message via ICQ to ddeaco
I hate copyright Laws!!!
Napster Was Cool before they add all the filters.
ddeaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2001, 13:52   #25
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Bonj, you got that right.

Only Napster had the balls to stand up to incredible forces and financial backing. You little nutless bitches whine about Napster charging and the fact that they sucked to begin with when the whole time you should have been paying for your music like everything else. But wait, you little bitches pay for nothing in the first place, since mommy and daddy are still changing your diapers.
I'm fucking sick and tired of hearing this shit about how much it sucks that you can't have this and that for free. It's all about the hacks and cracks (piracy and theft) and you all sit and say that when you finally get weened off mommy's big hairy nipple, you want to be a programmer, a coder. WHY? So that you can then bitch that people are hacking and cracking your hard work?
Fucking hypocritical idiots. Grow up and get your shit together, pussies.

This rant provided by Chev's house of true thoughts and common sense applications.
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2001, 15:47   #26
Sheepy Deepy

What can I say Skarface2k1?

I also live in a cave (which iccidently isn't in America) with my mate Ampburner.

sHEEPY dEEPY
Old 30th June 2001, 16:02   #27
zachdude

It's kinda funny... we're all quick to take sides, but maybe everyone at Napster has had this argument with themselves at one point or another... I'm sure Shawn isn't exactly happy with where Napster is right now, but I'm also sure that he wouldn't mind making a buck or two... It's human nature.

Anyone who is stupid enough to believe that the issue is as clear cut as one side or the other obviously hasn't had to make that many tough decisions in their life...

Everyone go out and read Crime and Punishment... it's a great book and would help everyone's perception of this a lot...
Old 30th June 2001, 16:02   #28
ampburner
Forum King

LOL ...lucky for us we live in a cave that's equiped with a puter and internet
Old 30th June 2001, 17:17   #29
DJ ROACH
Chick God
[Major Dude]

Napster had a awesome fight. They lost and now have legal obligations.
So be it oh well.
My question is if you lived in England in wwII. Now say that Hitler had taken over England after a long battle and bloody battle field.
What would you do?
A. stay in England and become a racist so its easy on you?
B. Flee to a neighboring country and continue to fight?
C. Die on the battle field dignified that you fought for a good cause?

B. & C. are honorable dignified jesters of fighting for a cause.
A. Is a yellow way out and shows that you did not fully belive in your cause.

Wich of those choices do you think napster would have picked? (A B or C)

Questions I would ask for people who pick A

Why would you fight so hard against Hitler just to work for him?
Why would you fight so hard against Hitler just to die for him?
Why would you fight so hard against Hitler just to do as he says?
Why would you change everything the way you know it just to please Hittler?
Hittler?
Old 30th June 2001, 19:44   #30
Scarface2k1
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Scarface2k1 Send a message via AIM to Scarface2k1 Send a message via Yahoo to Scarface2k1
Quote:
Originally posted by Sheepy Deepy
What can I say Skarface2k1?

I also live in a cave (which iccidently isn't in America) with my mate Ampburner.

sHEEPY dEEPY
oh.
Old 30th June 2001, 21:12   #31
ampburner
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ ROACH
My question is if you lived in England in wwII. Now say that Hitler had taken over England after a long battle and bloody battle field.
DJ Roach, dude... I can understand you don't appreciate the RIAA...but comparing them with Hitler?[*]WWII: ....millions of people were murdered.[*]napster battle: the ability for you to share music without paying for it were compromised so that the napster company could 'surivive'

...Don't you notice a slight difference. I get your point, but this comparison is not the best way to make it IMHO...
Old 1st July 2001, 08:58   #32
ComputerWiz311

Send a message via AIM to ComputerWiz311
Now I have a quesion. After I pay for the services of Napster, would the songs I download be on my computer legally without me having to buy the CD, or would I stil have to own a copy of the CD of the songs I put on my computer for them to be legal?

Trying to take over the world since 1981
ComputerWiz311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2001, 10:28   #33
Sheepy Deepy

ComputerWiz311, thats what I couldn't understand, the laws relating to copyrighted music state that you should own a purchased copy of the track before making other copies.

This monthly/annual payment would surely have to be covered in another kinda law or somin?

Any lawyers on the boards???

sHEEPY dEEPY
Old 1st July 2001, 13:53   #34
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Quote:
From the AskPerryMason.com website

Universally, the only CD's that are legally burnt are backups of existing copies. So, if you were to burn a CD of Napster downloads, whether you pay for them or not, that is copyright infringement.
Old 1st July 2001, 15:50   #35
Scarface2k1
Banned

or rip them yourself with your own cd's that you own and get the ones that you dont own with different programs other than napster. like direct connect for instance
Old 1st July 2001, 17:59   #36
ampburner
Forum King

Quote:
Universally, the only CD's that are legally burnt are backups of existing copies.
so...download from napster....burn the tracks within 24 hours, delete the tracks from your HD but keep the CD...then download all the tracks from naptser again!
It's perfectly legal!
Old 1st July 2001, 20:24   #37
Scarface2k1
Banned

kick ass, but what about people who Dont have a burner
Old 1st July 2001, 20:40   #38
ampburner
Forum King

If you don't have a burner....why would you download loads of mp3's? ...perhaps you would if you had an MD recorder...so just record them onto MD instead of CD!...
Old 1st July 2001, 22:32   #39
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally posted by ampburner
Quote:
Universally, the only CD's that are legally burnt are backups of existing copies.
so...download from napster....
burn the tracks within 24 hours, delete the tracks from your HD but keep the CD...then download all the tracks from naptser again!
It's perfectly legal!
How does burning the tracks within 24 hours make it legal?
Old 1st July 2001, 22:59   #40
ampburner
Forum King

Well if you delete them within 24 hours then it's legal (right?)
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions