Old 6th July 2001, 19:48   #1
fuct'n'bored

Send a message via Yahoo to fuct'n'bored
nuf said

hah, you cant even lif, let alone swing, the dictionary i deserv.please dont use a crain
fuct'n'bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2001, 19:52   #2
zorpidus
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to zorpidus
Maybe because warez are illegal copies of copyrighted material and AOL doesn't want to be part of it?

zorpidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2001, 19:56   #3
scottyc
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to scottyc
warez aren't illegal in all countries to the same extent they are in the united states, where aol and nullsoft are headquartered, but these companies have to go by the strictest laws that apply, not the most lenient, so they don't want to be involved with supplying links to illegal material. and neither should you.
scottyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2001, 19:59   #4
fuct'n'bored

yeh but NO ONE can touch aol or nullsoft for what is said in a forum so there is no legal problem and u can get aol free by colecting the tryl cd's and nulsoft dosin charge for its software any way so wats the deal?

hah, you cant even lif, let alone swing, the dictionary i deserv.please dont use a crain
Old 6th July 2001, 20:04   #5
sim0n__sez

Quote:
Originally posted by fuct'n'bored
yeh but NO ONE can touch aol or nullsoft for what is said in a forum so there is no legal problem and u can get aol free by colecting the tryl cd's and nulsoft dosin charge for its software any way so wats the deal?
i gots about 20 of those. each 520 hours, hmm. 520 X 20 = ?? = 10400 hours!!! holy shit. (too bad i dont use aol)
sim0n__sez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2001, 20:10   #6
fuct'n'bored

Quote:
Originally posted by sim0n__sez
too bad i dont use aol
oxeymorons(u can probly gues the word witch i was trying to spell) are funny

Old 6th July 2001, 20:16   #7
sim0n__sez

am i an oxeymoron?
Old 6th July 2001, 20:21   #8
Jstalilwyrd
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Jstalilwyrd Send a message via Yahoo to Jstalilwyrd
Quote:
But by allowing users on the forums put links to warez, that essentially means it condones the practice of downloading warez. In plain English, warez = bad and letting people know where they are at is just as bad.

It's like going to the Blizzard forum and posting a site to get Warcraft or Diablo as warez. C'mon now.
Jstalilwyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2001, 20:24   #9
Ice
Moderator Alumni
Americas Favorite Smut Peddler

Quote:
your missing the point. it is illegal, nuff said right there. we dont want illegal activities taking place on our forums, or do we want to encorage illegal activities.

but i'll go further. other websites have been taken to court for passing on links to illegal material. 2600 magazine is one of the bigger ones. we dont want to be a part of that.

second, its the rules. you agreed to them when you registered to this board.

I'd like to meet a mad man who makes it all seem sane
To work out all these troubles and what there is to gain
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2001, 20:24   #10
sim0n__sez

too bad i already downloaded it. 'cept i cant figure out how to install it, i mean these 12 files and shit...
Old 6th July 2001, 20:58   #11
fuct'n'bored

i started this thred cuz i was wondering y we wernt allowed warez linking since it is perfectly leagul to have warez links in a publick forum(with the write disclamers)

now i know its cuz it looks bad

thanks everyone for educating me

Old 6th July 2001, 21:08   #12
s1138
Alumni?

Send a message via ICQ to s1138 Send a message via AIM to s1138 Send a message via Yahoo to s1138
we dont like warez.
i didnt read all the posts, but.....

we all know we use warez. most of us use it. hell, i use it.

but we arent allowed to use it, cause its illegal software.
and though its not illegal in all countries, it is illegal in the US. and that is where Nullsoft is, and that is where the forums are.

s1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2001, 21:22   #13
ampburner
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to ampburner Send a message via AIM to ampburner Send a message via Yahoo to ampburner
Quote:
Originally posted by scottyc
they don't want to be involved with supplying links to illegal material.
I can understand that AOL/NS don't want it...it's their forum, their rules...their call. But....

Quote:
they don't want...[...]...and neither should you.
COME ON! Don't tell him what he should want. Who are you? his mother? Warez are just as illegal as the mp3's YOU are currently listening to. If you don't want to use warez then don't, but if someone else does then let him...sjeesh. We all know it's illegal, so there's no need to tell him that, and you're not likely to convince him not to use warez...
ampburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2001, 21:55   #14
Ice
Moderator Alumni

listening to mp3s isn't illegal. using adobe photoshop without a lisence is.

Old 6th July 2001, 21:55   #15
scottyc
Major Dude

anyone who wants to be involved in illegal activity is a bit of a masochist or something. i do illegal things: download stuff, smoke stuff, drive too fast, but the whole time i wish the activities were legal, because i don't want to do illegal things.
Old 6th July 2001, 22:00   #16
ampburner
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to ampburner Send a message via AIM to ampburner Send a message via Yahoo to ampburner
Quote:
Originally posted by Ice
listening to mp3s isn't illegal. using adobe photoshop without a lisence is.
Right. And everybody here ONLY listens to mp3's of music they've already bought on CD. Who are you kidding?

Quote:
i don't want to do illegal things.
LOL You mean you don't want the things you do to be illegal ( )
Old 6th July 2001, 22:34   #17
s1138
Alumni?

Send a message via ICQ to s1138 Send a message via AIM to s1138 Send a message via Yahoo to s1138
here is the straight answer for you people who dont get it.

no warez on the winamp forums.

mp3s are ok, because the could be legal. however, warez is warez, and no matter how you try to justify it, its still illegal.

Old 6th July 2001, 22:40   #18
ampburner
Forum King

I get that we can't post links to warez here. 'We're just debating about warez.
Old 6th July 2001, 22:57   #19
Ice
Moderator Alumni

ampburner: please read the announcement.

no warez. period. we're not changing the rules.

and it just happens that the song i'm listening to (Peter Ilich Tschaikowsky - Klavierkonzerte - 01 - Rachmaninov Piano Concerto no 2- Moderato) is legal. i own the cd. classical 0wnz.

Old 6th July 2001, 22:57   #20
NeoRenegade
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NeoRenegade Send a message via AIM to NeoRenegade
Quote:
520 X 20 = ?? = 10400 hours!!! holy shit. (too bad i dont use aol)[/B]
Well, it says in fine print something along the lines that once you use a trial CD you can never use one again, so you have to pay.
NeoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2001, 23:18   #21
ampburner
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ice
ampburner: please read the announcement.
no warez. period. we're not changing the rules.
Ice: Please read my posts.
before you reply to them.

When did I ever ask you to change the rules? Hell, I never even said I wanted to post links to warez. In fact I said that I DO understand why Nullsoft doesn't want it. I DO respect that. I DO accept it. In fact I even said that twice!

You make it sound like I'm whining for you to let me post that kind of links, while I'm not.

Quote:
and it just happens that the song i'm listening to (Peter Ilich Tschaikowsky - Klavierkonzerte - 01 - Rachmaninov Piano Concerto no 2- Moderato) is legal. i own the cd. classical 0wnz.
So? You're an exception.
Old 7th July 2001, 01:27   #22
Ice
Moderator Alumni

the first line was aimed at you. about your sig.

the rest isn't really aimed at you.. you understand that we can't promote warez. thats the point.

Old 7th July 2001, 01:28   #23
tjb2004
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to tjb2004
Quote:
am i an oxeymoron?
In short, yes.
Quote:
Originally posted by Jstalilwyrd
It's like going to the Blizzard forum and posting a site to get Warcraft or Diablo as warez. C'mon now.
I hope someone isn't stupid enough to download the full Diablo II on a 56k. It's only 1550 megs.
Quote:
thanks everyone for educating me
Now lets work on your spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
Quote:
anyone who wants to be involved in illegal activity is a bit of a masochist
So we enjoy physically injuring ourselves with what?
tjb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2001, 01:37   #24
ampburner
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ice
the rest isn't really aimed at you.. you understand that we can't promote warez. thats the point.
OK...that's a problem out of the way

Now about my sig. I've had it for what seems like ages, noone ever once complained. I know it's over the size limit, but only 4k. It's (far) more than 12,500 pixels too, but it's only 50 pixels high, and just very wide...but the width of the page (blank space to the right sig) isn't used for anything else anyway...

Should I change it to a 1 wide by 12500 high transparent gif of only a few kilobytes?
( )
Old 7th July 2001, 01:37   #25
Psycho Puppet
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Psycho Puppet Send a message via Yahoo to Psycho Puppet
Because links can be traced back to forums if they are linked here which can lead to the shut down of these forums. Nullsoft can get in trouble as well. And like said above, warez are not illegal but they are just abused to the extent in which downloaders do not buy the product itself. *Sarcastic mode on* After all, people only use warez for demonstration purposes only. *sarcastic mode off*.
Psycho Puppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2001, 02:12   #26
chiquita chad
Forum King

ive always wondered.... whats the actual chances of a person using a personal PC to get caught using warez??
how could the companies find out if you dont do something stupid like sending an email to them saying you illegaly registered their product?? ... wouldnt they have to hack your PC or come to your house and check?

Artist Track
chiquita chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2001, 02:29   #27
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

People are expected to know right from wrong in our society. To steal a person's program is wrong and deprives them of their livelihood. I know there are many here who aspire to program, code, develop things for others and many spend lots of money, time, and effort attempting to do so. Is it fair that they are robbed of their aspirations by those who feel the need to steal their accomplishments?
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2001, 03:01   #28
Huehuetenango
Forum King

Quote:
am i an oxeymoron?
are you a statement which is self-contradictory?
(such as military intelligence)
Huehuetenango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2001, 03:12   #29
s1138
Alumni?

uh....

im not stealing there programs. cause if i didnt download it, i wouldnt use it. i have no need for them. just gives me the tools, if i ever need them

Old 7th July 2001, 06:02   #30
a-arse
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ElChevelle
To steal a person's program is wrong and deprives them of their livelihood. I know there are many here who aspire to program, code, develop things for others and many spend lots of money, time, and effort attempting to do so. Is it fair that they are robbed of their aspirations by those who feel the need to steal their accomplishments?
But what if the person is not a person but a huge company that makes money by buying smaller companys out and making money off their software? Then are you still ruining there livelihood by stealing a single peice of software?

(naming no names....)
a-arse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2001, 08:01   #31
mr_sax
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to mr_sax
yes but you hafta admit that Microsoft puts too high a price on their software

so getting windows 2k pro warez is not stealing from them

it's like $0.50 down the drain for them..

o no!

and the program sux too

just like all o/s's

mr_sax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2001, 08:53   #32
zorpidus
Major Dude

Ok, please lets not go through the whole "warez are justifiable" thing again. We had a thread like this a couple of weeks ago, and this one is leaning towards it again

That thread featured some lame excuses like: "If I wouldn't download warez, I just wouldn't use (buy) the program"

As for posting links to warez in a public place (i.e. these forums)... Would you post methods to steal car radios on the forums??? Would you (without joking ofcourse) post a guide to shoplifting ???

No? Well, don't post links to warez either, 'cause it's just as much stealing as shoplifting, robbery,...

The only difference ofcourse is that you can't get caught that easily when you download warez. But that doesn't make it any less of a crime.

Old 7th July 2001, 08:54   #33
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

im with sax boy
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2001, 09:18   #34
a-arse
Banned

Ok warez isn't justifiable.

Quote:
Originally posted by zorpidus
Would you (without joking ofcourse) post a guide to shoplifting ???

Could we jokingly post warez links then?
a-arse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2001, 10:00   #35
zorpidus
Major Dude

Re: Ok warez isn't justifiable.

Quote:
Originally posted by a-arse
Quote:
Originally posted by zorpidus
Would you (without joking ofcourse) post a guide to shoplifting ???

Could we jokingly post warez links then?
You've got me there

Old 7th July 2001, 10:17   #36
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

with regards to price of software, a company like ms could make its office product for 1 customer and charge (theoretically) that customer the total for the development, 100's of 1000's of man hours of work that went into designing, coding and the 5 mins of testing they did in the lunch break (), or they could charge a lower fee to everyone and make their money by selling lots of copies cheaper.

Unfortunatly i think ms has landed somewhere in the middle. they make their money back very easily but there are still thousands of people who have a warez version, not because they want to but because they don't have £400 to spend on an office suite. I would buy software if i could afford it and it was resonably priced, but 1) i'm a student and 2) lots of software isn't reasonably priced. I've probably have a few grand worth of illegal software on my pc over the years but i don't want to, i'd rather pay and get some sort of support if i need it but unless your a big company you can't afford an os, graphics package...

if companies lowered their prices a little they would sell far more copies and make more money whilst at the same time make more people happy with them.

.: fwgx.co.uk.:.My art:.

"We think science is interesting and if you disagree, you can fuck off."
fwgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2001, 13:22   #37
s1138
Alumni?

same here.

i cant afford a $200 typing program. or a $600 graphic program. for that much, i could buy myself a whole new computer! programs are over priced. they always will be, and people will always try to get around paying for them.

Old 7th July 2001, 19:58   #38
Ice
Moderator Alumni

if i had $609, i'd buy photoshop. it's worth it.

Old 7th July 2001, 21:48   #39
randman

The way I see it is this:

If you want warez, you should learn where to find them. This being a legit site trying to abide by the laws that govern it, is not the place to promote or post links to warez.

We all know they exist, and most of us know where to get them. It isn't here.

I know it's been said already by others. I just felt the need to put in my 2 cents.
Old 7th July 2001, 21:57   #40
scottyc
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by tjb2004
Quote:
anyone who wants to be involved in illegal activity is a bit of a masochist
So we enjoy physically injuring ourselves with what?
i'm sorry, i didn't realize that we could only be injured physically, i'll have to rethink all those broken hearts and hard feelings.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions