Old 29th August 2004, 11:30   #1
Timorg

My Skin & Uploading Problems

Well I have spent weeks on my winamp skin. I love it, I want to share it with the world, and for whatever reason I can't work out. It wont let me submit the skin, it says that I havent filled out all the boxes. (Yes I filled in all the boxes.) I have no idea of the problem, if anyone could shed some light it would be great.

But I present it here for your enjoyment and I hope that a solution to the problem presents itself.

Classic Blue

Comment:
Classic Blue Winamp Skin - Its the classic skin with a blue twist.

Description:
This is my Classic Blue Winamp Skin, this skin is as complete as I feel it could be. I have skinned everything that can be skinned, and I think I have left no piece of colour unturned. I even gave the easter egg a twist. Inside the archive is also a blue version of elvis_real3d_beatspiral.avs. Just for completeness.

Category: Retro

The full image is quite large (1420 pixels tall)
http://www.howqua.net/big.png

The skin can be found at
http://www.howqua.net/classic-blue.wsz

Can you only have the files that are required in the skin, or other files ok? I have gpl.txt and classic blue.avs in there. Could that have caused the problem? Other than that, I have no clue what the problem could be.

I wasn't sure where I should post this, so I picked this forum, hope that its in the right place. I searched the forums for this problem and I couldn't find a solution.

-Timmy
Timorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2004, 12:06   #2
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

If your using .png for submissions, don't , it seems to have some problems with png images.

But as a word of advice, don't submit it at all , we haven't allowed colour variations of the classic base skin in for some time now.

Sorry.
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2004, 12:46   #3
gaekwad2
Foorum King

And afaik you can't release it under GPL either since it's clearly a derivative of a non-GPL work.
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2004, 13:40   #4
Timorg

Thank you for a quick reply, I think I will follow the advice. This is my 1st skin, and has been a good exercise for me, putting togeather a skin and everything. Now I have a good understanding of how they go togeather and everything. Now I guess its time to stretch my wings and come up with something original.

Gaekwad2, to my understanding of the GPL it makes no reference to how the work was created. I just scaned though it again, and I cant find that term or condition that you are refering to. A quote or a line number from the text version would be nice. The closest thing I can find is that Nullsoft own the original skin. So section 7 possibly applies here. If Nullsoft contacts me and says that this derivative work is illegal. I will remove the notice and destroy all copies of it. I hope it doesnt come to that though.

-Timmy
Old 29th August 2004, 13:44   #5
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

For future reference, forget the gpl blah blah blah, Steve Gedikian, who created the original classic base skin, gave permission years ago for anyone to modify and do what they like with it.

It's just we don't publish the results here on winamp.com, we had 1000's of these types of skins a few years ago so we decided not to take any more
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2004, 18:17   #6
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
deviantart.com, on the other hand, takes anything and everything submitted to them, so if you want to show it off, get some opinions, make an account and submit it there.
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2004, 22:17   #7
Nini
skin domptrice
(Major Dudette)

Send a message via ICQ to Nini Send a message via AIM to Nini
I don't think it's a good idea to submit it to deviantart.. They would all cry that it's a rip blah blah
Maybe www.1001winampskins.com would be better.

PS. Although I am not a fan of the base skin, I think you did a good job with your rework
(Didn't we all start with the base skin? )

The skin love webring
Nini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2004, 05:46   #8
Timorg

Well it’s submitted to 1001 Winamp Skins.

The GPL is important to me; I apply it to all the software that I write. I decided to use the GPL because I could. There is no good reason not to. I use a lot of GPLed software, and have learnt lots of programming techniques by looking at various programs source. Even though this is just a Winamp skin, every little contribution to free software and the Free Software Foundation (http://www.gnu.org/) helps. Because if the believers in free software make everything they do GPL, they will slowly change the face of software as we know it.

-Timmy
Old 30th August 2004, 08:08   #9
StillWater
Forum King

1001winampskins.com also has a filtering process, though generally more stringent than the winamp.com one; it too will most likely not accept the skin

Now that you've explored the skin structure and are ready to take the next step and do something more creative, may I recommend Skinner's Atlas to you. It's a template that most of us use to build our skins upon (and those who don't, should )

Sow a thought, reap an action; sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny.

All my skins: @ winamp.com @ 1K1WS @ Deviantart.com

My latest Flash Project: BreathingEarth.net
StillWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Classic Skins