Old 28th August 2016, 01:13   #1
LamersAss

Mandelbox Explorer (LamersAss Remix)

Love the Mandelbox-Explorer preset from Geiss+Martin, but it lacks responsiveness and variation in my opinion. So played around with it today and made a "remix".

The changes:
- more colors
- camera speed and brightness respond to the music
- camera only moves forward
- fractal shapes change permanently

Here you can see it in action:

Teknomies - Cimallus | Demoscene Music - YouTube

Xerxes feat. Cartoon - Evighetsmaskin | Demoscene Music - YouTube

The attached ZIP contains the original preset and my "remix".

Have fun!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Mandelbox Explorer (LamersAss Remix).zip (19.1 KB, 338 views)

Last edited by LamersAss; 28th August 2016 at 03:35.
LamersAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2016, 04:23   #2
LamersAss

... finetuned the FOV/fractal modification (quicker change for more variation per track).
Attached Files
File Type: zip Mandelbox Explorer (LamersAss Remix) v2.zip (19.1 KB, 293 views)
Old 31st August 2016, 01:42   #3
LamersAss

I found the original preset of Martin's mandelbox explorer and tried another version of my "Remix", now with more variation in colors and a smoother movement through the always changing fractal. The ZIP also contains slightly tweaked versions of my first "remixed" presets from the "Fire Mix" mandelbox explorer.

Here you can see the new preset in action:

Xerxes - The Tobias Heimlich Maneuver | Demoscene Music - YouTube
Attached Files
File Type: zip Mandelbox Explorer (LamersAss Remix) v3.zip (30.8 KB, 278 views)
Old 4th September 2016, 15:43   #4
LamersAss

This is now the current version of the preset

"Martin - Mandelbox Explorer - High Speed Demo Version (LamersAss Remix)"

with more tweaks regarding responsiveness, variation in the fractal landscape and smoother camera paths. Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Mandelbox Explorer (LamersAss Remix) v4.zip (31.4 KB, 313 views)
Old 4th September 2016, 18:28   #5
Nitorami
Major Dude

LamersAss

Just a note. By changing speed and/or direction, you mess up the pathfinding algorithm, which is meant to find a clear path through the labyrinth. Therefore the algorithm will now run straight through the solid blocks, which gives me a headache and stresses the GPU... This may not be noticeable on current video cards, but causes a serious framerate drop on my poor old GeForce 7600

Martin
Nitorami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2016, 18:46   #6
LamersAss

Stopping and moving backwards of the camera is anti-climatic and collides with the beat of the music. So moving through the blocks is the best compromise. My remix is not intended for low-end graphics card - so where it is too slow simply cannot use it. They always have the original preset to use.
Old 4th September 2016, 19:20   #7
Nitorami
Major Dude

Well that makes life a lot easier.

Talking about anti-climatic, I do not like the speed modulated by volume either. Either go constant speed, or switch speed by some kind of beat detection, but do not simply modulate speed with volume. I am not critisizing you; it is so obvious to do speed = f (volume) and I did this myself years ago with simple presets but now I find it just awful.

As to the problem of going through solid structure: In the version attached the algorithm punches a hole in the middle by a small modification in the warp shader. I do not really fancy this but IMHO it is better than going through blocks.
BTW the algorithm you built this on is quite old and suffers from a few flaws in the correction of tangential distortion which causes unnecessary smear. It can be improved, although, whatever you do, it does not get a LOT better given the limitations of milkdrop.
Nitorami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2016, 05:50   #8
Fumbling_Foo

I'd like to chime in and comment that you, LamersAss (and it goes without saying, you too, Nitorami ), have much more to show than I, and probably many others before us in preset authoring. I've tried my damnedest for months straight for just one semi-original, hopefully good (well, all right, honestly hopefully spectacular) preset made up of mostly-borrowed, superficially-modified code. Keep up the good work, good job .
Fumbling_Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2016, 00:02   #9
LamersAss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitorami View Post
As to the problem of going through solid structure: In the version attached the algorithm punches a hole in the middle by a small modification in the warp shader.
Cool suggestion! I try to smoothen it, by not punching a hole the whole way through but just cut content away ahead of the camera (in a spiky spherical shape):

code:
dist > 0.005 + (pow(1-rad,15)*.05)

The next version is also adding more variation to the Mandelbox by changing the parameters of the formular slightly over time:

code:
zz = (2.6 + (sin(time*.0085)*.155) ) * (zz-.3+abs(sin(time*.0076)*.5)) + zz0 + (sin(time*.009)*.5)

Quote:
Keep up the good work, good job
Thx! =)
Old 7th September 2016, 04:26   #10
LamersAss

Okay, here is the latest version of my Mandelbox Explorer remix:

- more fractal variation over time
- space is cleared ahead of the camera to ease up the movement through structures a little.
Old 11th September 2016, 03:26   #11
LamersAss

... and added even more variation to the fractal landscape.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Presets