Old 15th June 2013, 12:10   #1
joanne.cooper

Thinking of making a change to Mac but LOVE winamp

Hi all
I tried searching the forums but couldn't find anything helpful. Hopefully somebody can help.
I am thinking of making a change to a Mac laptop. I have always had a windows laptop. My question is around Winamp for Mac and all the plugins I use. I use Winamp to play karaoke files (CDG) files. I also sometimes use Pacemaker to change the pitch on the fly and often use CHORDS! which works well for what I need it for, which is work out the chords of an MP3 file on the fly. On a gig and somebody wil ask for "American Pie", I have the Karaoke backing track and use CHORDS! to tell me the key and the basic chords of the backtrack.

I hope somebody will be able to tell me if I can do all this with the Mac version of winamp or if I am better off sticking with a windows laptop.
joanne.cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2013, 12:18   #2
DrO

the Mac version doesn't have a plug-ins system like the Windows version and even if it did then you'd not be able to use them unless new Mac versions were made for it. So unless you can run it all in a virtual Windows machine on the Mac, it seems you're better sticking with Windows if it's critical for your performances.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2013, 12:26   #3
joanne.cooper

Thanks for the prompt response Dr o. what would be involved in setting up a windows virtual machine?
joanne.cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2013, 17:16   #4
DrO

not too sure as i don't use Mac (other than in a virtual machine itself). i think Parallels or Boot Camp might be involved but i'm not 100% on that.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
mac, plugins