Old 4th April 2004, 02:11   #41
Moguta

shaneh, I can't get any of your plugins to work. I did a total uninstall of WinAmp, and deleted Program Files\WinAmp.

Reinstalled WA 5.03 & then extracted your plugins to \WinAmp\Plugins , started WinAmp, and the DLLs aren't even listed in the preferences under General Purpose or Media Library plugins.

Magnatune - A role model for ALL digital music stores!
Moguta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2004, 02:17   #42
shaneh
Major Dude

Thats odd. They shouldn't be in any directoy under \plugins. ie ml_plsfind.dll should be located at:

...\Winamp\Plugins\ml_plsfind.dll

I can't think of why they wouldnt at least be showing up. Perhaps just try them one by one and see if you can get any of them to work.
shaneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2004, 02:31   #43
Moguta

Quote:
Originally posted by shaneh
I can't think of why they wouldnt at least be showing up. Perhaps just try them one by one and see if you can get any of them to work.
Still nothing. =(

Does it make any difference that my OS is Windows 98?

Magnatune - A role model for ALL digital music stores!
Moguta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2004, 02:39   #44
shaneh
Major Dude

Probably... I know gen_context at least uses some things not available to win98 and wouldn't work. The others should though.

Try disabling the SEH for plugins in the winamp preferences and see if they are crashing. But I probably just need to do a re-compile - I didnt realise there were so many ppl still using that OS. It really is quite poor, and a pain to support.

edit: Nonetheless I will create a vmware image of '98 and see if i can get a version compiled for it. Will be done in a few days.

Last edited by shaneh; 4th April 2004 at 05:38.
Old 4th April 2004, 18:44   #45
inthegray
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to inthegray
shaneh, anyway you can get "edit selected items" to right click on the playlist, to allow editing multiple ID3 tags?
inthegray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2004, 03:55   #46
shaneh
Major Dude

Unfortuantly theres no proper way to get the selected items in the playlist. Some others have done it doing ugly hacks with hooks and invisible windows etc, but its real ugly and I dont like that and would rather not do it.

It is possible to attach to the 'Send To' part of the menu to retrieve a list of selected items, gusb does it. Im not sure if hes done it using standard APIs just by being part of the 'devices' tree in the media library, or hes used some other hack.

Itd be great if winamp supported a 'get list of items' IPC, or documented the method to attach to the send to menu.
Old 5th April 2004, 13:17   #47
inthegray
Major Dude

somewhere right now.... baby jesus is crying.
Old 6th April 2004, 17:36   #48
Abarabusto

Location: A small cave on the planet siiikar with broadband access
I assume this rating is stored as part of the id3v2 tag. Does anyone know if it is compatible with the way some other programs store ratings in tags, specifically Helium 2?
Abarabusto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2004, 19:07   #49
Dextro

no I believe ratings are stored in the Winamp Media Library itself, not in the ID3 tags but since you can add custom fields maybe it would be a good idea no? Cross-player ratings anyone?

Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2004, 22:30   #50
Abarabusto

I would hesitate to use anything which was only in the library beacause if anything happened to the lib file there goes all my ratings. I have about half my songs rated already using Helium 2 (Which is not a player, but it is the best MP3 database available. Although it has a player built in I override it in favor of winamp). If I am not mistaken, there is a tag already defined in id3v2 for rating which Helium uses. It would be great to use the same tag. Of course there is also the clunky Musicmatch preference tag which would probably be a bad idea to use.
Old 7th April 2004, 03:52   #51
shaneh
Major Dude

I too think it would be a better idea to use id3 tags for the ratings, but I guess that method was chosen so you could rate other file formats in all the same way.

Its annoying to lose all your meta data on your songs because you move your mp3s from C:\mp3 to D:\mp3 or C:\music or whatever. Or rename a file from 'title.mp3' to 'artist - title.mp3' etc

Itd be nice to see it as an option in the media library though, for those of use who only rate mp3s.
Old 11th April 2004, 11:35   #52
electricmime
Major Dude

you could just insert a rating in the comment section.. and then it could be any rating you want (if you want it to go up to 10) thats where i put the genres, so bands that cover multiple genres (or are hard to label) will be handled better...

There is no reset button on life... but the graphics kick ass
electricmime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2004, 12:10   #53
shaneh
Major Dude

ID3v2 I think already supports arbitrary meta data. The problem is the media library doesnt use that. For various reasons - different formats have different types of tags, rating items on non-writable media(CDs), not wanting to modify your files (keep meta data and data separate).

I imagine it would be quite easy to write a plugin which exports the rating data to id3 tags, and also allows you to import the data. A nice way to save your ratings to your mp3s allowing you to get them back if you ever move them about.

Theres some id3 writing libraries out there. I could do it quite easily myself. But personnaly Id rather see winamp support using id3 tags natively and save stuffing about importing/exporting, and save me the time of writing the plugin :P
Old 11th April 2004, 12:35   #54
electricmime
Major Dude

it would be nice for them to save the ratings in the tags, but like i said.. you could easily just stick them in the comment section for now...

Old 11th April 2004, 13:09   #55
mazemaster

Sorry for sounding dumb, but I can't figure out how to to set the global hotkey for rating the current song. I got the ratings working by right clicking on the song in the playlist editor window with the plugin, but I checked the global hotkeys section in "preferences" and there are no new "actions" to set a hotkey for.

I know how to set a windows global hotkey for a program by creating a shortcut to it and setting the hotkey in the shortcut's properties, but how can I set a global hotkey for the rating command within winamp?

By the way, I have the update that was posted on the previous page in this thread, in case you were wondering.
mazemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2004, 13:16   #56
electricmime
Major Dude

do you have http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=138586 ?

because i believe its only with that (and after you install it, it shows up int he global hotkey menu)

Old 12th April 2004, 02:11   #57
shaneh
Major Dude

Yep, Toaster has the hotkey support. You do not need the 'rate it' plugin for hot key support. I didn't want to add hot key support to 'Rate it' because it has no way of providing feedback on what the rating is, and what you just rated etc.
Old 12th April 2004, 03:33   #58
mazemaster

Thanks, it worked.
mazemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2004, 22:23   #59
PaRaD0x

I just installed the sexplugs package, but I don't see how to use it....it doesn't seem to appear anywhere in my winamp. This is the first plugin I've ever used, and it seems like I did it properly...as I see it listed in the plugins menu, but I don't see how to use it.

Specifically, the play count editor is what I need access to.

Thanks!
PaRaD0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2004, 23:33   #60
Dextro

For the playcount editr go to the media library and right click the song you want to change de play count of and then it's under the "send to:" menu.

The other plugins just right click any song on the playlist to see them

Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2004, 23:49   #61
inthegray
Major Dude

make sure also that you've unzipped your plug-ins into your Winamp plug-ins folder ( i.e. c:\program files\winamp\plugins )
Old 13th April 2004, 04:46   #62
Veej007

explorer context is amazing, man. it can have move (just stick the target folders in your sendto menu) and rename ("properties") functionality, and with mp3tagstudio installed there's an mp3ts shell extension that shows up with "rename file from tags."

any way to get it to show up in the media library, too?

also, there's something that i don't get about the find in media library bit. if my first item under local media is a media view set to include all my music, nothing happens. i mean, when i set "find song" up, should it be inputting the song name query (ie "?title="stairway to heaven") into the search box? if all it does is pull up a relevant media view without narrowing the search results, i can't really see how it's terribly functional... but then again, i have this nagging suspicion that it just isn't working properly for me
Veej007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2004, 04:47   #63
Veej007

and also, when i use the rename function as described above (which will be one of my biggest uses for gen_context), the playlist entry doesn't get updated automatically. is there a way to have the playlist entry point to the renamed file? that way i could change the filename before editing the id3 info, or before moving it to another folder via the sendto, or whatever else... just kinda sucks that rename has to be last because the plugin doesn't know how to remember what it renamed to...
Veej007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2004, 04:55   #64
shaneh
Major Dude

It should be putting the query in the search box. Not sure why it might not be for you. Try using it with the media library closed and see what happens. Perhaps youve rearranged your media library somewhat - it should work ok in the default setup. Also, check your advanced title formatting, it uses the same format when using 'find song'. There is a small bug in that it includes the '-' when finding a song, but its probably more effort than its worth to fix it.

It would be pretty easy to get the context menu stuff in the media library too. It might even be possible to get it to work on multiple items by using the 'Send to' functionality, but dont quote me on that. You realise you can use 'Explore item folder' to open up an explorer view of the file in the ml (you can with the playlist too with a plugin by DrO).

With regards to renaming, its possible to have the 'Rename' feature on the explorer menu just like in Explorer, but then I would have to support some kind of renaming dialog.

Just use 'Playlist entry' to rename a file :P

But to rename a file with the properties dialog as you describe, would be quite hard to detect if a change was made, because its done as part of explorer, separate to winamp. Also, doing it in the media library would be tricky cause the media library would have to purge and refresh the changed file.

I would recommend just using musicbrainz.org for all your tagging needs. The more people that use it the better it becomes, and its completley free and very good.
Old 16th April 2004, 12:42   #65
skinme!
Forum King

Just out of interest: did you say that Toaster added the accelerators 63115 thru 63110? Or are they default in Winamp? I've set up StrokeIt to do rating with mouse gestures but I don't know whether the accelerators are default in Winamp.

He had decided to live forever, or die in the attempt
In America - a must see film
skinme! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2004, 12:46   #66
skinme!
Forum King

D'oh. I had Toaster 0.1. Didn't realise that Toaster 0.4 added global hotkey support for rating. No need for StrokingIt anymore Thanks shaneh

He had decided to live forever, or die in the attempt
In America - a must see film
skinme! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2004, 02:23   #67
shaneh
Major Dude

63110 to 63115 are just arbitrary menu identifiers for my rate it plugin. Winamp doesnt support any rating IPC command, it is done internally by the rate it plugin and by toaster.

You cannot just send those as a WM_COMMAND, because the rate it plugin recognises which track to modify based on the right click beforehand.

But if you use toaster, you can:
toaster_ipc=SendMessage(plugin.hwndParent,WM_WA_IPC,(WPARAM)"ToasterIPC",IPC_REGISTER_WINAMP_IPCMESSAGE);

then send to the main window with the playlist position as the wParam, and one of the following as the lParam (the rate_up and rate_down ignore the wParam and just modify the current song - for some reason):

enum {
ZERO_STAR,
ONE_STAR,
TWO_STAR,
THREE_STAR,
FOUR_STAR,
FIVE_STAR,
RATE_UP,
RATE_DOWN
};

The code to do the ratings is pretty simple, but toaster provides a way to give feedback on what the current/new rating is. Note after doing this, it will show a notification for the current song, not necessarily the one that was just rated.

Last edited by shaneh; 17th April 2004 at 03:14.
Old 18th April 2004, 16:14   #68
Abarabusto

Quote:
Originally posted by electricmime
it would be nice for them to save the ratings in the tags, but like i said.. you could easily just stick them in the comment section for now...
Of course you can put it in comment, but you can say that about any other field you happen to need. It is not a solution. The real problem with comment though is that there is no mp3 manager that I know of that will let you group your database using the comment field.
Old 18th April 2004, 16:21   #69
shaneh
Major Dude

Mexp allows you to add arbitrary fields to the id3 tag in the form of 'groups'. Seems pretty useful, possibly more so than the current ratings system. They intend to add ratings as well, into the id3 tags. Incompatible with the media library of course. Ive suggested they have an option to actually use the media library database instead of their own, which would be good. But we will see what they do.
Old 2nd May 2004, 02:16   #70
Poppy

Would it be possible to make your ratings plugin work when the playlist editor is in winshade mode?
Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2004, 03:40   #71
shaneh
Major Dude

It would kind of be possible, but it wouldnt be a very elegant solution. I also think its a little unintuative as the menu when in winshade mode is the generic menu and is not apparent that you are operating on the song. (ie, there are no other playlist menu commands such as view file info etc).

I would recommend just using toaster or something to use hot keys to rate the current song.
Old 4th May 2004, 01:48   #72
electricmime
Major Dude

im not sure if you are aware of this, but the playlist rater only rates the song that playing, in addition to this, if you try to rate a song thats not the currently playing song, it changes the currently playing songs rating >.> (i think i mentioned the first problem before, but i just discovered the second one today)

Old 4th May 2004, 02:50   #73
shaneh
Major Dude

That is dependent on whether you are using 'update stuff in library on play'. Are you using the 'sync' version of the rater?

All it does is send an update message to the media library with the new rating for a filename. The sync version also sends a sync if dirty message, which seems to help although doesnt seem to always be necessary.

If its not working properly, its more a problem of the media library IMHO, as it isn't really doing anything 'tricky'. I'll take another look nonetheless, but it works ok for me, (but I dont use 'update on play' or whatever it is).
Old 4th May 2004, 02:51   #74
HaloHQ

I love the popup plugin, something I've always wanted in winamp. One question: where can i get the newest version? Is it the last one you posted in this thread, or the one here: http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=138586
And a bug is if you are on the configure screen, and set the fade time to 0, it crashes. Same thing if you try to preview while the previous previous is still up. Just minor things though. Great plugin overall.
HaloHQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2004, 02:53   #75
shaneh
Major Dude

Hmm, scratch that, on more testing it does seem to behave like you describe, but only after a while with a large playlist. If you just start it up with a small playlist, you can rate songs ok.

Not too sure what the issue is, but as I said, I'll take another look.
Old 4th May 2004, 02:58   #76
shaneh
Major Dude

@HaloHQ: I dont think I posted toaster in this thread (I have posted it in another though). But nontheless, the one on winamps main plugin page is the most recent.

Thanks for the bug reports, I'll add it to the list of things to look into and fix. Theres a lot of improvements that could be made, if I just had the time
Old 4th May 2004, 21:12   #77
electricmime
Major Dude

what is the sync version of the rater (and are you planning to fix that sync db in toaster?)

Old 4th May 2004, 21:46   #78
HaloHQ

Quote:
Originally posted by shaneh
@HaloHQ: I dont think I posted toaster in this thread (I have posted it in another though). But nontheless, the one on winamps main plugin page is the most recent.

Thanks for the bug reports, I'll add it to the list of things to look into and fix. Theres a lot of improvements that could be made, if I just had the time
Pretend I didnt say that... guess I thought it was included here: http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....41#post1309841
Anyway, good plugins.
HaloHQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2004, 01:47   #79
shaneh
Major Dude

@electricmime: It has been posted in this thread. It has a name like ml_plsrate_sync.dll or something. Its on the previous page.

Anyway, it does still behave like you described, but is difficult to reproduce, as it seems to only happen after a while. It could be after using toaster, or after rating in the media library, or after rating x songs or whatever. Im not sure. Feel free to do some testing for me .

I have already fixed the gui sync problem with toaster but have not uploaded it anywhere, but I dont think that option is actually needed. Are you having trouble rating using toaster? Ive never had it enabled and have been able to rate fine.

I will upload a new version once Ive fixed a few other problems, and if I have time, add some other features.
Old 5th May 2004, 19:28   #80
siebe83
Forum King

sexy plugins!

well, allmost sexy
i can't get the count plugin working
or maybe it does work, but i can't find it
i suppose it'd be in right-click menu in the library?

and the explorer plugin, oh i want that one, but it makes winamp crash
i've got a lot of plugins installed, so maybe some are conflicting, i don't know
also my explorer context menu might have too much options (several zip/rar-programs with submenus, mp3tagstudio submenu, etc)

to clarify:
when pressing right mouse button on item in playlist, and focusing 'explorer', the context menu appears
but immediately something else appears: an error box
the error message:
AppName: winamp.exe AppVer: 5.0.0.3 ModName: gen_ff.dll
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 000d53ac
and winamp is gone

hope you can fix it, would be great
or should i try a clean install?
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Developer Center > Winamp Development