Old 12th July 2007, 05:55   #1
GParnell

Nullsoft Ripped Me Off

I purchased Winamp on OCTOBER 4TH, 1997 when it was donationware (shareware) and I received a registration number that told me I was eligible for "ALL versions of Winamp, past, present and future." However, Nullsoft/Winamp has decided to ignore my request for proper information to register the current version of Winamp. This is clearly a violation of the agreement, which I have in writing. What's the deal, Winamp? Too big now that AOL bought you??? I've been trying to reach you since before they did so, and so what REALLY is your excuse?? Are you just out to make a quick buck at the expense of your original investors??
GParnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2007, 06:23   #2
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
Winamp is still free. All the features available in the original shareware version are still free. Pro includes ripping and burning, which costs.

http://www.winamp.com/player/faq#240

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2007, 12:34   #3
DrO

Re: Nullsoft Ripped Me Off

Quote:
Originally posted by GParnell
Too big now that AOL bought you??? I've been trying to reach you since before they did so, and so what REALLY is your excuse??
well you've not been trying very hard then seeing as Winamp was bought by AOL back in 1999 when the shareware version became a free version (which is what the shareware purchase on covered)... and especially since there's been these forums in place since 2000

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2007, 13:40   #4
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

whatever
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2007, 07:49   #5
jmbattle

We're talking less than 20 USD for goodness sake...

James
x
jmbattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2007, 09:16   #6
gaekwad2
Foorum King

...and almost four years since the introduction of Winamp pro

slowpoke or copypasta?
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2007, 00:22   #7
joeditt

Why not answering properly?

Rarely experienced that much ignorance, and most of it shown by folks with mod's responsibilities. That's worse than preventing to establish a customers' help desk phone, but equipping it with not a single person, only with a permanent audio loop saying "All the lines are busy".

Rocker: if you prefer listening to whatever instead of even reading (which would enable you to find out it is not a technical question), why at all are you posting?

jimbattle: free software is free software is free software. No matter of how little interest this might be in your obviously well-earning world, there are uncountable millions of users who are lucky to at least manage to get a computer of their own and pay their provider's fee. Starting with "this costs only so little" quickly lets you end up with ten low-cost necessities, summing up to what forces you to choose between keeping either your apartment or your www access, no more chance for both. Oh, not you, but many of those 80 percent of our species.

GParnell most probably does know only too well promises like "free forever", including "all future versions", are hardly trustworthy literally. A proper answer wold be, (a) new owners regularly at least re-interpretate former announcements, and (b) there's always a current free version, and you don't even need something like a registration number.

Which would have been an answer owed to any asking user, as public answers are always written for the asking person PLUS many, many others who read it, too. (That's why in so many sites' faq lists you read "search the forums" ... never seen, eh?) With not really answering - no matter what you may think of whom and whoever's intentions or second thoughts - you only create (1) frustration also of all others who just are surfing by, and (2) the need to ask each damned little detail as often as necessary until you understand you can stop this only by ... answering.

So, do that job you've chosen by your own free will.
joeditt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2007, 06:30   #8
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Yes, always someone will tell you what to do, even though it already has been explained many times.

AND YES, THERE IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE A FREE VERSION FOR THOSE PEOPLE WHO BOUGHT THE SHAREWARE VERSION WAY BACK IN '97, The link is right here:

http://www.winamp.com/player/free

And you know what? This version does not need registration, al the features in it work, free of charge.

Last edited by Wildrose-Wally; 21st July 2007 at 06:49.
Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2007, 12:39   #9
joeditt

Ex act ly .
joeditt is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion