Old 5th May 2005, 19:22   #1
Saaren

Sony Network Walkman Plugin: any chance?

Any chance a plug in is being worked on for the new line of sony NW's? They support MP3 "natively"... although all files still have to be combobulated onto the drive. It couldn't just be simple drag and drop with Sony...

And personally, I hate SonicStage...

I've got an NW-E407. Anyone else got a new NW and hate SonicStage?

PS I'm a new user and tried searching for sony, network walkman and MP3 player and the best I could come up with was 2 year old posts... I tried though
Saaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2005, 19:13   #2
Saaren

Bump
Old 4th July 2005, 07:00   #3
Saaren

Still no interest in this? No one owns a NW-407 or 507 and would like to be able to transfer music on with Winamp? Or is it just impossible to write the plugin?
Old 4th July 2005, 10:56   #4
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

does it mount as a drive in windows? could just use gUSB plugin or whatever it is.

CraigF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2005, 22:53   #5
kmw

I have a Sony NW-HD5, great player but sonicstage is a hassle. It would be great if someone could make a plugin to make the player interface with winamp.
The sony players do show up as removable drives but the music cannot be transfered to them this way. I belive sonicstage adds a "wrapper" to the MP3s which copy protects them and they are transfered to the device as .OMA files.
There is a program from sony called Sony Vaio Music Transfer. It is a drag 'n' drop program which will transfer music to the player.

I was wondering if a basic plugin for winamp could possibly link these two programs so that when you click "Send to: Sony Walkman" in winamp it will launch Vaio Music Transfer, transfer the songs and then close it again.
kmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2005, 09:25   #6
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

I'll take a stab and say that connect is converting the files to OpenMG format, and the network walkman cant playback anything else. OpenMG is not an open format, and will no doubt require licensing fees assuming you can even license it.

So yeah, I guess if thats the case, thats that.

Old 21st July 2005, 18:06   #7
Saaren

Actually, the player (mine, the NW-407) plays MP3 files "natively", though it still reformats the file. I don't know the details, but while Sonicstage doesn't actually convert the data to OMA, it does change some of the file structure (as kmw pointed out, but without converting the data format).

I guess that even the method that Sony uses to transfer files to the device without converting them would be protected?
Old 22nd July 2005, 19:44   #8
kmw

Found out about another sony program that you can use instead of sonicstage. I havent had chance to try this out myself yet but it looks pretty good.
LINK
kmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2005, 00:27   #9
Sphix

WARNING

I have only tried this with the NW-HD5.

It is very possible that this could corrupt your hard drive, delete your mp3s, remove SonicStage device authorization, etc.
Proceed at your own risk.

Hmmm I still wondering if it's safe or not
But this SonicStage is crap, that's true
Sphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2005, 17:50   #10
Saaren

Actually the Sony site states which devices the software is compatible with (these: NW-E103/E105/E107/E403/E405/E407/E503/E505/E507)

This simple software is actually interesting, since you run it from your device, and don't have to install SonicStage whereever you go. It doesn't convert files to ATRAC3, which is a bit of a drawback but...

I'd still love (what else can this forum do??) to see Winamp able to transfer (and convert to ATRAC3plus, hopefully) to my device, and this software is _really_ simple, but like Sphix said... SonicStage is crap.
Old 26th July 2005, 15:54   #11
equazcion

I accidentally started my own thread about this elsewhere. God, YES, I have the HD5 and I completely agree. The hardware is SO good, but of course Sony had to screw us with the software. My vote is yes on the issue of "should someone write a winamp plugin for the HD5 (or make ML_iPod HD5 compatible)" If you have the HD5 then you understand how sorely needed something like this is. Please show your interest so that we can start getting a plugin written!
equazcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2005, 21:06   #12
equazcion

I just tried the method kmw linked us to. It works pretty well actually, in a simplistic way, but it's completely devoid of any features, sorting ability, user-friendliness, or tag editing capability. You can't even see the tracks that are there, all you see is albums. The software is completely harmless though, it doesn't make any changes to your HD5 besides copying a few files to it.

Long as you make sure your files are tagged right before doing any transfers, this seems like a good alternative for the time being. Here's the link to the complete information again for anyone who who wants to try it:

http://www.syndetics.net/sony-hacks/sonicstage.html

Here's a link directly to the software download:

http://www.sonydigital-link.com/Shar...P3FMv2_ENG.exe

The software is called MP3 File Manager. It's made by Sony for some of their other players, but works with the HD5 as well, and it is not advertised in the US at all. If you haven't already installed the HD5's driver, the original link will get you that, or you can use the driver included on the software CD.

Download the file (second link, and depending on your browser you may need to right-click and choose to save the target file). Connect your HD5 first, then run the file. After the local install is done (very little is actually installed locally), the software will launch and search for your HD5. It will then copy the program files to the HD5. The whole process takes about a minute to complete. For those of you worried that you'll seriously mess up your device by using this "unauthorized" software (the warnings on the page in the first link are rather scary), trust me, you won't (but if you do, it's not my fault). The software is so small and does practically nothing, it doesn't make any changes to your HD5, it just transfers files.

When it's done, check out your HD5 in Windows Explorer (or My Computer). There's another root folder there now called "MP3FM" (MP3 File Manager). Go in there and you'll find the executable, "MP3FileManager.exe". Run this file from right there, from any computer (I think), and a window will be displayed where you can drag-and-drop music to your heart's content, quickly, easily, and (so far) stabley.

Again though, make sure your files are properly tagged. There's no graphical tree structure here, so your HD5 will read the file tags when you disconnect and organize accordingly. You'll need to wait until you can check with your HD5 or with SonicStage before you can see if everything has gotten organized correctly.
Old 27th July 2005, 05:32   #13
shortman_alan

yeah thats all well and good for a HD5 but would any of you guy now if that progam works with a HD1?? it does not take nartive MP3 they all have to be encoded to OpenMG through sonic stage and i dispise that progam.... can anyone help cheers
shortman_alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2005, 07:13   #14
Saaren

No, MP3 Manager will only transfer MP3's in their native data format to the device. I wish it would offer conversion on transfer, but it doesn't. I'm not aware of any other peice of software, but considering it's Sony we're talking about, I was surprised that it even made MP3 Manager...

Now that Sony allows its hardware to play MP3 data natively, aren't there any geeks out there that like the E-400 or 500 series (or the HD5) and desire the ability to use Winamp to transfer tracks?? The E-507 has been great for me... you guys should try it
Old 29th July 2005, 11:10   #15
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

buy will a sony playback device better than his ipod and he might do it.

Old 29th July 2005, 11:13   #16
equazcion

I would do that but I, too, am unfortunately poor.
Old 20th September 2005, 00:11   #17
kerbdog

If someone could write a plugin for the Sony units I could donate for the duration of the project a NW-507 maybe.
Its badly needed since it looks like Sony will be making more native MP3 player units.
kerbdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2005, 02:56   #18
STanger

Send a message via AIM to STanger Send a message via Yahoo to STanger
Quote:
Originally posted by Saaren
Actually the Sony site states which devices the software is compatible with (these: NW-E103/E105/E107/E403/E405/E407/E503/E505/E507)

This simple software is actually interesting, since you run it from your device, and don't have to install SonicStage whereever you go. It doesn't convert files to ATRAC3, which is a bit of a drawback but...

I'd still love (what else can this forum do??) to see Winamp able to transfer (and convert to ATRAC3plus, hopefully) to my device, and this software is _really_ simple, but like Sphix said... SonicStage is crap.
ATRAC version anything sounds nasty horrid imo, and I don't think that Sony would allow something like this to happen, espcially when you consider that they include their own transfer software with the player.
STanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2006, 23:47   #19
moomoomoo

http://www.wicked-messenger.info/for...p?topic=2157.0

needed files
moomoomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2007, 09:33   #20
circlejerk

ml_sony

An open source plugin for Winamp exists. I have not tested it yet, but here's the URL:

sourceforge.net/projects/mlsony
circlejerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion