Old 21st July 2007, 01:11   #1
joeditt

emusic - worse than adware

Freeware-offering folks working in the spirit either shared or prevented by Nullsoft-founders are very critical of adware, as it is penetratingly annoying, might seduce one to ignore bank account capacities, and is closely related to spyware.

These days, I changed my computer, downloaded WinAmp 5.x, installed, and - being a long-term fan of WinAmp (except that 3.x failure) - perhaps too blindly trunstfully klicking through the installing process without noticing what I might have found out then (or not?), discovered nothing disturbing. Until two days later.

I found my machine somehow registered at, or pre-linked to, or prepared to logging in / registering at
[color=dark-red]- I don't really care which of these, as it's scandalous enough it happened without PROPERLY telling me and letting me accept or deny in a way I CANNOT OVERLOOK -[/color]
emusic.com.

In this context, I don't care if emusic is affordable, recommendable, customer-friendly or whatever. IT LANDED ON MY MACHINE WITHOUT PROPERLY ASKING! No, it WAS landed - by WinAmp's installing exe-file!

If you regard this normal and no need to leave that out, then what's next? Registering users at some NASDAQ broker company? Is this now WinSpamp?

P.S. e-music at least is not highly recommendable. You're told you can pick 25 MP3 downloads for free - only, you first have to register with a credit card number! I don't have one, and I don't intend to ever get me one. I stick to personal contact to my own bank (and sometimes, its machines), and I - of course living in the 21st century - use their online banking service. But I'll never give even a part of whatever personal codes to receive what's advertised as oh so free offer - in this case, even with no reason to ask for consumer's age: so there's no excuse left to ask for these numbers, except forceful preparation of a purchase which is definitely not free at all.

Last edited by joeditt; 21st July 2007 at 01:26.
joeditt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2007, 01:30   #2
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
Couple of things...
  1. The name of the installer you downloaded should have tipped you off --> winamp535_full_emusic-7plus.exe
  2. The installation is modular - you can UNcheck what you do NOT want installed, instead of "blindly" clicking the "Next" button, which also include the option of UNchecking "eMusic Icon and Offer for 50 Free MP3s"
So, when you said this above...
Quote:
In this context, I don't care if emusic is affordable, recommendable, customer-friendly or whatever. IT LANDED ON MY MACHINE WITHOUT PROPERLY ASKING! No, it WAS landed - by WinAmp's installing exe-file!
...what you really should have said was this instead...
Quote:
In this context, I don't care if emusic is affordable, recommendable, customer-friendly or whatever. IT LANDED ON MY MACHINE WITHOUT MY PROPERLY LOOKING AT THE OPTIONS AND UNCHECKING THAT OPTION! So, it WAS landed - by ME and NOT by WinAmp's installing exe-file, because I "blindly" kept clicking "Next"!
There now... isn't that much more close to saying what actually happened?

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2007, 02:00   #3
joeditt

I disagree

Quote:
The name of the installer you downloaded should have tipped you off --> winamp535_full_emusic-7plus.exe
Great. To switch to ... where? Because this is the installer you get after following this path:
(winamp.com's URL) => Downloads => (GET BASIC / FREE)
On WinAmp'as very own site, there (except, perhaps, for some well-hidden secret) is no such thing like an e-music-free installer file.
Quote:
The installation is modular - you can UNcheck what you do NOT want installed, instead of "blindly" clicking the "Next" button, which also include the option of UNchecking "eMusic Icon and Offer for 50 Free MP3s"
You couldn't have rephrased my own "perhaps" if I wouldn't have previously stated myself I might have overlooked something. But a free offer shouldn't require the skills and concentration of one who each day has to do with negotiating and signing contracts, used to thoroughly reading all the small print. A serious offer contains not merely easy-to-overlook UNmark-boxes, but easy-to-notice check-to-order-ADDITIONALLY boxes only, UNcheckeD in the first place.

And reading your remarks gives me the impression your world is characterized by the motto "in case of doubt, it's always the consumer's fault". Far below any democratic system's presumption of innocence principle.
Old 21st July 2007, 10:26   #4
gaekwad2
Foorum King

I'll agree that additional offers like that should be opt-in instead of opt-out (or get their own page that won't let you click next until you've chosen yes or no to avoid all the click-through types not installing it).

But in what way is it "worse than adware"? Is it hard to get rid of? Does it run in the background gobbling up resources? Spy on you, transfer personal data without your consent? Or what?
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2007, 12:31   #5
joeditt

Fine.

Ok, we agree. As I must confess the title ("worse than") is somewhat polemic - to gain more attention and thus quicker replies. Sorry. As we in Austria use to say, "Not everything that limps is (already) a comparison." "Worse" was relating to already installing, not just searching - but, yes, spystuff is, no matter how started, in whichever way already (practically) installed, running anyway - and therefore definitely worse.

Thanks, gaekwad2 - and I hope additional stuff that wasn't asked for will come with the next update as opt-in, not opt-out.
Old 21st July 2007, 13:25   #6
DrO

emusic will remain as an opt-out as that is how the agreement was done and unfortunately was set as one of the very few installer options to not be remembered (purposefully) as unchecked. alas it's one of those things that needs to be remembered to uncheck.

as for the details of the emusic thing, i'm sure what it's meant to be doing is referenced in the installer guide (am having a quick break at work so i won't find the link out to that) but it really comes down to the same with everything, people just need to make sure they take a little bit extra time to ensure nothing in an installer is left checked when they don't want it to be.

there used to be a non-emusic build but for whatever reason this was removed (can't remember the exact reasons since i missed the convos about it) but i think 5.33 or 5.34 was the last version with non-emusic installers built (which i think sucks but i can sort of see the corporate reasoning)

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2007, 19:13   #7
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

someone needs to pay the developers.
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion