Old 21st May 2014, 00:46   #1
anserq

Moving music to a windows 7 music library

Hello folks,

I haven't yet done it, but what I want to do is, move the music folder in d:/ drive to the windows 7 music library. I want to retain all settings like the media library ratings, and id3 information intact or other history intact.
Also I have a few playlists, what to do about the playlists that I have? Can I edit the path for those? If yes, how?
Basically how can I accomplish the goal of moving the music over to the library, and keep everything the way it is.
Please guide me.
Also, will I lose anything during this process?

Is it recommend to use the windows 7 music library folder instead of a folder on another harddrive.

If you can point me to another thread that covers what I've asked, please do so.

Thanks a lot in advance.
anserq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2014, 02:01   #2
MarkRH

Well..

First off, Windows 7 Music Library is just a Virtual Folder that you can add any physical folder to. For example, in my "Libraries\Music" view I have an MP3 folder. This MP3 folder is physically located at C:\Users\(my username)\Music\MP3" and Winamp's media library and playlists use the physical file path, not Windows 7's Virtual Library path.

You can just right-click on your current music folder's location and select "Include in Library" and then "Music" if all you want to is be able to see your music collection in the music library view which, like I said, is a Virtual Folder view.

Now if you actually want to physically move all your files from "D:\whatever" to "C:\Users\(your username)\Music\whatever" or whatever other location then that would be more involved and is something I haven't done. Since I don't care about ratings and play counts all that much, I'd just start over with the Winamp Media Library after I moved all my files. (Changing the watched folders list, etc..).

Perhaps someone that's done this can offer more insight.
MarkRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2014, 02:37   #3
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi anserq,

If you physically move your files to different folders, Winamp will treat them as new files and the history listing and playcounts will start over. Most important are the ratings. If you didn't add them to the actual files, then they will have to be re-entered in the media library records.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.1 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v20H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2014, 03:24   #4
anserq

Is there anyway of changing the path for the playlists that I have?
Old 21st May 2014, 03:40   #5
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by anserq View Post
Is there anyway of changing the path for the playlists that I have?
Playlists are text files. You can use an editor like Notepad to 'find & replace' all path designations that need changing. Be sure to use the same filename and extension when you save the results.

Old 21st May 2014, 03:47   #6
anserq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Playlists are text files. You can use an editor like Notepad to 'find & replace' all path designations that need changing. Be sure to use the same filename and extension when you save the results.
So I have to first export the playlists right?
Old 21st May 2014, 04:06   #7
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by anserq View Post
So I have to first export the playlists right?
Yes and No. Even if you only used playlists created within the Winamp media library you can get to them in the "Users/<your profile name>/Appdata/Roaming/Winamp/Plugins/ML/Playlists" folder. Shutdown Winamp first. These playlists have alphanumeric names that Winamp creates to associate internally with the names used in the media library.

If you're talking about WMP playlists, then yes you would need to export them.

Old 21st May 2014, 16:35   #8
anserq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Yes and No. Even if you only used playlists created within the Winamp media library you can get to them in the "Users/<your profile name>/Appdata/Roaming/Winamp/Plugins/ML/Playlists" folder. Shutdown Winamp first. These playlists have alphanumeric names that Winamp creates to associate internally with the names used in the media library.

If you're talking about WMP playlists, then yes you would need to export them.
Thanks
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
moving music