Old 17th August 2011, 03:47   #1
2Charlie

What do I need to get started?

I'm a newbie at this. Will someone list all the things I need to start broadcasting live through ShoutCast? I've read that I have to purchase a streamer or host? If that's the case, then how is ShoutCast fit into the puzzle? I thought ShoutCast is streaming my audio.

I have checked some youtube tutorial but those I found didn't show from start to finish instruction.

Any information is much appreciated.
2Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2011, 14:06   #2
dotme

Depends on your level of technical abilities, and access to sufficient bandwidth. Essentially with the Shoutcast platform, you have two main options.

1) Rent a pre-configured Shoutcast server from one of the multitude of stream hosting companies (A representative list here: http://www.radiotoolbox.com/hosts). The upside to this path is that the host takes care of the server, and the bandwidth - all you have to do is fire up your DJ software, aim it at their server, and away you go. Downside is the monthly fees - but if you size small, and don't pay for more capacity than you need, it can be affordable (hobbies cost money)

2) Install your own instance of Shoutcast on your own PC - Advantage is that it's free. Downside is that you need to be good with configs, firewalls, and have a basic understanding of networking. You also need to have sufficient upstream bandwidth to support streaming to your end-user listeners. To get started with this option, read the stickies at the top of the Shoutcast forums.
dotme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2011, 16:34   #3
2Charlie

Many thanks for the help.

Okay, so I found two free streaming servers:

http://listen2myradio.com/
http://freestreamhosting.org/

I am thinking of trying the SAM Broadcast software; however, which downloads from the Shoutcast do I use if I'm going with SAM instead of WinAMP? Second, how do I get my radio channel to be listed in ShoutCast's directory? Third, do I need to configure anything in ShoutCast's configuration file? If so, step by step instruction is appreciated.

One last thing, does anyone know of another or better free steaming host besides the two I listed above?
2Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2011, 17:39   #4
dotme

SAM broadcaster is a Source tool, like Winamp and other DJ software packages. Both work fine as a way to stream music to a Shoutcast server.

Many "free" shoutcast hosts have fine print that may prohibit a public listing of their server in the Shoutcast directory. You should do some homework there, and make sure the provider you select doesn't have those kind of restrictions - if a YP listing is important to you.
dotme is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support