Old 8th October 2007, 07:16   #1
ulillillia

Questions about WMA

I have a question involving WMA for my MP3 player. Those who know me should be familiar with my unusual music habits and systems. For those who aren't:

I listen to music at different speeds editting the sample rate of WAV files to change the speed. When I process my music for my MP3 player, I form a base file which is simply the song looped seamlessly for about 8 minutes (to help minimize the "gap" from reloading). I then use a self-created program to write a series of WAV files with only the sample rates changed (from as low as 10,000 (20% true speed for 50,000 Hz true speed) to as high as 500,000 (500% true speed for 100,000 Hz true speed)). Currently, I use a BAT file to batch convert these WAV files to MP3 files. Depending on the frequencies used, the format varies slightly. If no frequencies above 4000 Hz are clearly audible, I use 12,000 Hz at 16 Kbps. If no frequencies above 6000 Hz are clearly audible, then I use 16,000 Hz at 21 Kbps. For all else, I use 22,050 Hz, 28 Kbps. All are in ABR format and mono.

Now to my questions:

1. Does WMA support these otherwise very low quality formats (12,000 Hz, mono, 16 Kbps (for MP3 format))?
2. I've seen that WMA needs half the disk space usage for the same quality (that is, 128 Kbps MP3 and 64 Kbps WMA for CD-quality music (44,100 Hz, stereo) are about the same).
3. Does WMA support lower than 8 Kbps or oddballs like 13 Kbps that MP3 doesn't support?
4. What effect does playing WMA files have on battery life relative to playing MP3 files (I.e. does it last 30% longer or 80% as long (as examples)?).
5. Does my MP3 player, Creative MuVo2 4.0 GB model, support WMA?
6. Is there a free-without-limits WAV to WMA batch converter that allows me to resample the output files (like any player would support 300,000 Hz sample rates...) to something as low as 12,000 Hz? Lame does this very well and it allows me to set the bit rate.

Thanks for any assistance.

void BlueWater() {water.color=blue; while(GameRunning) {if (fox.pos == InBlueWater) {fox.air--; FoxDrown(fox.air);} else {fox.air=1800; fox.flags = WantsToGetWet; } WaitFrames(1); }} // My top favorite thing in 2D Sonic (as C)
ulillillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2007, 00:30   #2
ulillillia

Doesn't anyone know? It's been almost 6 days since I posted this? Is anyone even familiar with WMA?

void BlueWater() {water.color=blue; while(GameRunning) {if (fox.pos == InBlueWater) {fox.air--; FoxDrown(fox.air);} else {fox.air=1800; fox.flags = WantsToGetWet; } WaitFrames(1); }} // My top favorite thing in 2D Sonic (as C)
Old 15th October 2007, 10:19   #3
Twilightseer
Frenchoderator

Not me. WMA isn't liked very much here as it is a proprietary format that doesn't not provide many advantages over existing, free solutions like MP3 or OGG.

Just out of curiosity, why do you want WMA specifically? Can't mp3 do?
Twilightseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2007, 23:21   #4
fc*uk

WMA is a little more picky as to what exactly you can squeeze into it.

The only program I have in my arsenal that can do this is Sony's Sound Forge (I have version 7). I know Sony gives out 30 day demos of Sound Forge, so you can download it, check out that it has, then decide if you want to fork over the cash for the program.

yes, this program does support oddball formats (5, 6, 8, 10, 12 kbps in the low end).
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2007, 00:20   #5
ulillillia

I currently use MP3 and I saw that WMA has half the file size for the same quality (which means more speeds and songs that I could have). I was just wondering about the specs of WMA. My MP3 player doesn't support OGG (Creative MuVo2 4.0 GB) so that's definitely not an option. I was mainly just curious about the details and now that I see the details, I'll just stick to MP3.

While my MP3 player doesn't support AAC, what about that format?

Old 16th October 2007, 00:51   #6
fc*uk

AAC is a good format; iTunes uses it for the music that they sell on their music store (DRM version that is). Though aac is good, I have never seen the advantages over mp3 (same quality at the same bitrate).

AAC+ (HE-AAC-PS; High Efficiency AAC Parametric Stereo) is however a different story. In a nutshell, aac+ gives mp3 quality sound at half the bitrate (128k mp3 = 64k aac+). Only problem with aac+ is that next to nothing supports it; only way I know of to make it portable is to use it on a pocket pc device.
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2007, 10:49   #7
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Quote:
Originally posted by ulillillia
I currently use MP3 and I saw that WMA has half the file size for the same quality (which means more speeds and songs that I could have).
Correction: You saw Microsoft's marketing claims.

At the ultra low bitrates you're using it is better than mp3, by how much is another question though.

You could use eg. SRCdrop to resample to rates the WMA encoder accepts but whether it's worth the effort...
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2007, 10:53   #8
Twilightseer
Frenchoderator

AAC+ is very good for low bitrates. Typical use for it is Shoutcast streams, since a 48 Kbps AAC+ stream sounds just as good as a 128Kbps mp3 stream.

AAC+ has very limited hardware support (my phone happens to support it ) so until it becomes more widespread, its use is pretty much limited to streaming.
Twilightseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2007, 03:22   #9
ulillillia

While I can use experiments to find the point at which compression-related distortions become audible (as I've done with MP3 - 18 Kbps ABR MP3 for 16,000 Hz, mono is the point at which, anything lower, distortions become audible so I use 21 Kbps just to give a little extra "space"). If WMA or AAC had the same quality at 16 Kbps (or even lower), then I'll more strongly consider them. My MP3 player only supports WAV, MP3, and WMA. WAV, being uncompressed, is not an option, WMA is the only other thing I can test but, before this thread, I knew very little about it. While most everyone bases it off CD quality, experiments can answer some of my other questions such the base bit rate, battery life, etc.. Why bother using CD quality when, in my case, frequencies above 4000 Hz are practically absent (barely audible that the lower stuff is more clearly heard), thus, I use much lower sample rates to cut back on the space usage. All my songs are mono (since the two tracks of stereo versions are practically identical all the way through - why waste double the disk space?).

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Music O'Rama