Old 28th June 2008, 02:39   #1
pixiefied
Mother Trucker

Send a message via Yahoo to pixiefied
windows xp d-day

After delays, delays, and rumors of more delays, the era of Windows XP has finally reached its final hours. Microsoft has made it official: Monday, June 30 will be the last day Microsoft sells XP to the masses. In fact, some companies have already stopped offering XP as an option on new machines as they prep for the switchover.

Earlier rumors that Microsoft might extend the sales date have proven untrue, as Microsoft has reiterated that, indeed, June 30 will be the final sales date cut-off for the product. That's it. It's a Vista world now.

Loopholes will remain for some PC makers for some months to come, namely those who are building ultra-low-cost computers that aren't powerful enough for Vista. (Though some machines in this class, like HP's Mini-Note, actually come with Vista anyway.) For at least the rest of the year, downgrades remain an option for many PC purchasers too, though you'll have to jump through some hoops, and possibly pay extra, in order to get XP.

As I've written several times (and reassured many of you in email responses), XP fans needn't panic about the loss of XP. Even if you don't have a copy on hand, the product will be available through many channels for years to come (and likely forever), through both retail outlets and the aftermarket. As I type this, nearly 1,000 copies of XP are on sale on eBay, where they usually sell for less than $100.

In other news, Microsoft has recently pledged to keep supporting XP, including the release of security updates, all the way through 2014. So XP users needn't fret that you'll suddenly be victimized by hackers due to unpatched security flaws. Updates should work exactly as you're used to them currently through the Windows Update system.

Microsoft originally announced over a year ago that Windows XP would be going off the market in January 2008. XP was later given a brief stay of execution, to June 30, 2008. That deadline is fast approaching, which has led to much panicking from people who aren't quite sure what XP's "going off market" means, exactly.

People are still as confused as ever. So let's take a stab at clarifying, once again, what's going to happen by answering some frequently asked questions about XP's imminent disappearance.

Will Windows XP really no longer be on sale after June 30? Sorry for the double negative, but no. All this means is that Microsoft will stop selling the OS. Finding a computer with XP preinstalled will likely be very difficult, as well. However, you'll still be able to find copies for the foreseeable future, and likely the unforeseeable one, too. See for yourself: You can find copies of just about any Microsoft product, including ancient versions of Windows and even MS-DOS, by simply searching online. But hang on to your current copy of Windows XP. You may need it down the road if you don't want to move to Vista.

Will I be forced to upgrade to Vista soon? No. But it will get harder and harder not to, especially since new software and peripherals are likely to stop working with XP. That could take years.

Will my XP machine stop working in June? No, but Microsoft will stop releasing non-security software updates to the masses on April 14, 2009. But let's be clear: XP will continue to "work" even after this point.

Will Microsoft shut off product activation for XP after June? No, that would be crazy. While no one has said this will happen, it's conceivable that Windows could shut down product activation for XP at some point. But that would only happen after XP reaches its end-of-support term (when all support plans expire). The good news for you: That happens on April 8, 2014, which should be plenty of time to get the kinks worked out of Vista-or switch to a Mac, Linux, or anything else. Bottom line: Your copy of XP will work, totally legally, for at least six more years.

What about this exception for Windows XP Home Edition I hear about? Doesn't apply to you. Microsoft will continue to sell XP to makers of ultra-cheap laptops like the Asus Eee PC until 2010 because they just can't run Vista. But it is not going to make XP Home Edition available as installable software to end-users.

What about after 2014? Well, that's unclear. But it's possible XP will stop being installable at that point. Microsoft's official policy is that these dates have "no affect [sic] on how long you can use a product," which may imply product activation will work forever. However, two things come to mind:

1) Even the most die-hard XP enthusiast will probably be ready to upgrade at that point (as XP will be nearly 15 years old, and your PC will be dead by then, I'm sure).

2) Even if Microsoft shuts off product activation, the hacker community will certainly make dozens of tools to let you continue using XP with abandon. Fret not.

Can I install XP on a PC that has Vista already on it? Yes. You can delete any partition with any OS on it (and reformat it) during the installation of XP. If you're feeling brave, you can even run both OSes at the same time by setting up a dual-boot machine.

gotta love microsoft.

"Well, got to love you and leave you, need to go get into the shower and rub my hard naked body all over with soapy bubbles, I'll be back later to carry on playing....

It'll take you some time to get over the image of me naked in the shower......mind you don't masturbate to hard thinking about it...."
- Mr.Jones
pixiefied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2008, 04:18   #2
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

i can't wait till they stop all the updates. its a pain in the ass.
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2008, 04:19   #3
sgtfuzzbubble011

That should give me plenty of time to pay off my new truck, save up about twenty thousand dollars, move to the other side of the country, then build my new computer system before I get a new version of Windows. Woo!
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2008, 21:09   #4
fc*uk

I thought that I read a news article from google news stating that MS decided to extend the support date to something like 2010 or 2011.

Don't tell me google news fed me shit yet again... I was all happy for a second.

On second thought, that activation date of April 8, 2014 looks familiar. Oddly familiar. I bet the idiot that wrote the article mixed up the end of life date with the end of support date. Asshole, you duped me. Pfffffft. False hope and shit.
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2008, 21:17   #5
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Mainstream support for XP ends in 2009.

Extended support (mainly security fixes) is up to 2014.
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2008, 01:29   #6
Vil

-cough-linux-cough-

present day present time
Vil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2008, 11:14   #7
gaekwad2
Foorum King

-cough-VMS-cough-
Old 29th June 2008, 12:05   #8
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
Quote:
Originally posted by gaekwad2
-cough-VMS-cough-
VMS costs about $12,000. Or did you mean VMs?

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2008, 13:27   #9
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Quote:
Originally posted by k_rock923
VMS costs about $12,000.
Only for professional use.
Old 29th June 2008, 14:05   #10
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

So did you actually mean VMS or Virtual Machines?

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
Old 29th June 2008, 14:12   #11
gaekwad2
Foorum King

I meant VMS, as in another OS with limited market share that does some things a lot better than Windows but isn't really a replacement for it.
Old 29th June 2008, 14:28   #12
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

But that's not really a fair comparison because it doesn't run on x86.

Old 29th June 2008, 15:17   #13
gaekwad2
Foorum King

That's true.

But maybe you could run VMS in a VM.
Old 29th June 2008, 16:12   #14
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

*head explodes*

Old 29th June 2008, 17:07   #15
fc*uk

Quote:
Originally posted by Vil
-cough-linux-cough-
I do use linux as you all should know by now.

The problem is neither Traktor, Ableton, nor Torq supports linux. Emulating the software and midi mappings using either wine or crossover is futile at best.

I need to keep Windoes on at Least a few of my boxes/laptops because of this reason alone.

Plus, that software costs an arm and a leg. There is no way in hell, even if they made it for linux, I would purchase it all over again.
Old 29th June 2008, 18:51   #16
Vil

Quote:
Originally posted by fc*uk
I do use linux as you all should know by now.

The problem is neither Traktor, Ableton, nor Torq supports linux. Emulating the software and midi mappings using either wine or crossover is futile at best.

I need to keep Windoes on at Least a few of my boxes/laptops because of this reason alone.

Plus, that software costs an arm and a leg. There is no way in hell, even if they made it for linux, I would purchase it all over again.
Out of curiosity, have you looked for software that will do what you want in Linux? It might be more difficult to learn and use, but it might exist. :3

present day present time
Old 30th June 2008, 02:06   #17
Omega X
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Omega X Send a message via Yahoo to Omega X
Quote:
Originally posted by Vil
Out of curiosity, have you looked for software that will do what you want in Linux? It might be more difficult to learn and use, but it might exist. :3
I did that once. Still can't replace Windows yet.

And the rest wants you to VM windows for what you need but still runs crappy if its not native.
Omega X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2008, 03:22   #18
Vil

Quote:
Originally posted by Omega X
I did that once. Still can't replace Windows yet.

And the rest wants you to VM windows for what you need but still runs crappy if its not native.
If by once, you mean years ago, you might want to check again.

present day present time
Old 30th June 2008, 03:31   #19
fc*uk

Vil: I'll claim ignorance here. If someone can point me to native linux functionality of any of the programs I mentioned, I would be more than happy to check them out.

To date, I know of none. I'm not saying I am right, but I am not saying that I am wrong either.
Old 30th June 2008, 04:36   #20
Razzinno
Piffle Producer

Quote:
Originally posted by Vil
Out of curiosity, have you looked for software that will do what you want in Linux? It might be more difficult to learn and use, but it might exist.
But it usually doesn't. The utopia we like to believe is in our grasp, doesn't exist and nirvana will likely never be achieved with any one OS, which will leave my hard drives partitioned with multiple operating systems for many years to come.
Razzinno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2008, 22:04   #21
Vil

Quote:
Originally posted by Razzinno
But it usually doesn't. The utopia we like to believe is in our grasp, doesn't exist and nirvana will likely never be achieved with any one OS, which will leave my hard drives partitioned with multiple operating systems for many years to come.
Everyone has different experiences with it, I suppose. There is nothing I want to do that can't be done in Linux.

fc*uk, I'm not sure exactly what it is that software does, but I do know there are programs for editting music and djing around. I wouldn't know how good they are since I don't actually do that stuff. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/Audio I would look through this page and see if any of those programs sound like they do what you are interested in then going to each program's webpage and reading a bit more about it.

present day present time
Old 1st July 2008, 01:09   #22
fc*uk

awesome link. Dunno how I have not seen that before.

Mixxx looks like it may have promise. It actually looks like a stripped down version of Torq. May be something worth looking into indeed...
Old 1st July 2008, 18:39   #23
zootm
Forum King

A lot of those programs aren't all that mature (there's nothing to rival Ableton, for example) but some are excellent. They occasionally require some extra setting up but Ubuntu Studio is trying to make it easier. Ardour is excellent apparently.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2008, 03:15   #24
Karakawe

I thought that Dell was still going to sell XP, along with certain distros of Linux, namely Ubuntu.
Karakawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2008, 13:37   #25
zootm
Forum King

Dell already sells consumer PCs with Ubuntu on them. They can only sell XP until it is discontinued.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 10:26   #26
_bullet_time_99

Send a message via ICQ to _bullet_time_99 Send a message via AIM to _bullet_time_99 Send a message via Yahoo to _bullet_time_99
Just another bad move like the other bad movements done by Microsoft...
_bullet_time_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Breaking News