Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Breaking News

Old 14th August 2008, 06:31   #1
Simfee
Banned

Consumers Still Shy on Blu-Ray; Missing Out on Glorious High Defintion Cinema

What good is winning the war if there's no one to celebrate with afterward? That's the dilemma the Blu-ray camp has found itself in after having whipped HD-DVD out of contention in the high definition DVD market. According to a new consumer survey from ABI Research, there exists a widespread reluctance among consumers to jump on the Blu-ray bandwagon, with over half of the 1,000 respondents saying they have no plans to purchase one citing "other priorities."

So why the reluctance? Steve Wilson, principal analyst with ABI Research, believes it can be attributed to consumers' perceptions about the value proposition, which ties directly in with the high cost of both Blu-ray players and HDTVs. "We expect that player prices will remain above $300 for Tier One models for the remainder of this year," Says Wilson.

These are viable reasons, but what the survey didn't touch on is the recent movement towards digital downloads. Michael Bay, best known for directing Transformers, predicted the impact downloadable movies would have on the industry, and the medium has been picking up momentum. In addition to a plethora of services to choose from, Netflix subscribers can have movies delivered to their TV sets via a $99 set-top player that comes HD ready, and this fall Microsoft will update its Xbox 360's dashboard to accommodate Netflix subscribers as well. And then there are those that are content with the quality of up-converted DVDs.

This all brings up an interesting question: Would the situation be the same if HD-DVD would have won the format war? Post your thoughts below.
Simfee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2008, 07:22   #2
drewbar
Sawg 2.0
Major Dude

So why the reluctance? Cost. And minimal benefit. Sure, it looks better, but it isn't like everyone has a HDTV. DVD din't take off for the video quality, it took off because of the size and not having to rewind d bonus features. Really, about the only thing Blu-Ray offers is a higher quality. A $300 player and more expensive disc and the economy is in the shitter! Is anyone at all surprised?

It would be the same thing if HD-DVD won. Make the players $100. No more then double an el-cheapo DVD player then maybe it has a chance.

But Blu-Ray is a stop gap as it is. It may be several years off until it is refined but digital downloads of movies will kill at the very least the rental business.

Count with us!
Jan 1st, 12AM (PST, GMT -8) 2010 - 282,246
drewbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2008, 13:25   #3
MegaRock
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to MegaRock Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRock
Yep and if you're one of the hundreds of millions of people who still have a standard TV there really is little to no improvement over standard DVD. You also have to wonder how many weeks or months will pass before an even better standard may be developed. Who's to say the 1080p HD format won't be replaced with one twice as good early next year!

Make both the player and the discs affordable and you may get better adoption rates. That and most of the movies made anymore are best viewed only once which may be why people aren't rushing out to buy them.

Megarock Radio - St. Louis Since 1998!
Tune In Now!
Corporate Radio Sucks! No suits, all rock!
MegaRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2008, 19:40   #4
Namelessv1
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by drewbar
So why the reluctance? Cost. And minimal benefit. Sure, it looks better, but it isn't like everyone has a HDTV. DVD din't take off for the video quality, it took off because of the size and not having to rewind d bonus features. Really, about the only thing Blu-Ray offers is a higher quality. A $300 player and more expensive disc and the economy is in the shitter! Is anyone at all surprised?

It would be the same thing if HD-DVD won. Make the players $100. No more then double an el-cheapo DVD player then maybe it has a chance.

But Blu-Ray is a stop gap as it is. It may be several years off until it is refined but digital downloads of movies will kill at the very least the rental business.
Not to mention the horrendous load times with these initial standalone players. The PS3 actually looks like its the best Blu-ray player currently on the market for its price point.
Namelessv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2008, 20:23   #5
Simfee
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Namelessv1
Not to mention the horrendous load times with these initial standalone players. The PS3 actually looks like its the best Blu-ray player currently on the market for its price point.
No, PS3 is not, read this:

The Best Blu-ray Players
http://www.pcworld.com/article/147209/the_best_bluray_players.html
Old 15th August 2008, 21:10   #6
Namelessv1
Forum King

None of those Blu-ray players in the ~$400 price range come close to the PS3's startup+load time. None of those players have a wifi connection like the PS3. And, none of those players have their firmware updated as frequently as the PS3.
Old 16th August 2008, 15:03   #7
Simfee
Banned

Philips BDP7200/37 Blu-ray Disc Player: price is $400, you can update the firmware, no WIFI support, but the rendering quality is better than PS3.
Soon, PS3 will die, because of next-gen Blu-Ray players.
Old 16th August 2008, 17:27   #8
LuigiHann
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to LuigiHann
I think I'll wait 5 years.

Who is the milkman? What is the purpose of the goggles?
LuigiHann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2008, 18:13   #9
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
Quote:
Originally posted by LuigiHann
I think I'll wait 5 years.
QFT

as many others have said, HD-TV's aren't exactly cheap enough to be affordable to everyone yet and neither is blu-ray either, it definetly could have picked a better time to start trying to make itsef a huge name and one in every house kind of thing, bush's war on the economy can't be helping sales of high end electronics, that's for sure.

on the other hand we should consider computer users as well, now i'm willing to bet some of the nicer LCDs do support 1080p, but those are also going to be extremely expensive as well, and as far as i know the price of blu-ray player for a computer (but more so a burner, which i can almost guarantee a lot of people are waiting for to become cheap to add to their computer) is still very overpriced, and prices on a blu-ray burner have been known to make people faint for quite some time with the cheapest i was able to find via a quick search of tiger direct showing a hefty $299 price tag.

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Too-DAMN-Much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2008, 19:26   #10
Namelessv1
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Simfee
Philips BDP7200/37 Blu-ray Disc Player: price is $400, you can update the firmware, no WIFI support, but the rendering quality is better than PS3.
Soon, PS3 will die, because of next-gen Blu-Ray players.
regarding the Philips BDP7200/37:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/14720...y_players.html
Quote:
While the unit powered up in less than 20 seconds (reasonably good for a Blu-ray player), it took an additional, mind-numbing 44 seconds to start playing a disc. The total startup time, 64 seconds, was the second worst in the group.Once running, the player responded sluggishly to such remote control commands as popping up the menu and skipping chapters.
http://reviews.cnet.com/video-player...-32815210.html
Quote:
subpar image quality on Blu-ray Discs in standard 1080p mode; lacks Profile 2.0 support; no Ethernet jack for firmware upgrades.
Which means the only method of firmware upgrade is by downloading from the Philips website and burning to a CD. I'm pretty sure the PS3 will be updated more frequently than any of the current standalone Blu-ray players.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/13/c...lu-ray-player/
Quote:
the obsessive audiophiles / videophiles at the Criterion Collection use Sony's PlayStation 3 as its reference Blu-ray player.
Like others have said, with the current pricing of Blu-ray players and HDTVs still yet to be adopted by the majority of consumers, there isn't much of a compelling reason for most people to take the dive right now.
Old 16th August 2008, 20:20   #11
Simfee
Banned

I don't care about startup time.
I cares about quality & features of.
Old 16th August 2008, 21:53   #12
Namelessv1
Forum King

Well, then, good luck with waiting for a disc to load on an overpriced player.
Old 17th August 2008, 05:00   #13
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
Mr. Simfee

Blu-Ray is really expensive(for the disc and player). Could I afford it? Only if I spend an entire paycheck on the player alone. The movies? I hardly like shelling out $15 for a DVD much less $30 for Blu-Ray.

I don't know of anybody that can afford that kind of thing without first consulting the checkbook.

There is no sig.
deeder7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2008, 08:33   #14
Simfee
Banned

Yes.
Right.
Old 17th August 2008, 08:35   #15
Simfee
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Namelessv1
Well, then, good luck with waiting for a disc to load on an overpriced player.
That's stupid: Burn & update the firmware.
Old 17th August 2008, 08:50   #16
Namelessv1
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Simfee
That's stupid: Burn & update the firmware.
You misunderstood my post.

Last edited by Namelessv1; 17th August 2008 at 09:39.
Old 18th August 2008, 01:23   #17
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

i think what you missed is, the drive isn't able to read a DVD while it's firmware is being updated (if it's even done in the operating system outside of a console platform) so you'd need to burn the update to a CD or DVD and stick it in a seperate drive to do the update, or did i miss something?

Old 18th August 2008, 02:44   #18
Namelessv1
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Too-DAMN-Much
i think what you missed is, the drive isn't able to read a DVD while it's firmware is being updated (if it's even done in the operating system outside of a console platform) so you'd need to burn the update to a CD or DVD and stick it in a seperate drive to do the update, or did i miss something?
I was referring to the startup and load times (the time it takes it to power on before the player is ready to start reading a disc and the time it takes the player to start playback of the movie once the disc has been inserted) of the current generation of Blu-ray standalone players such as the Philips BDP7200/37 being markedly slow in comparison to the PS3.

Firmware is a separate issue. Because the Philips BDP7200/37 lacks an ethernet port and any other means of connecting to the internet directly, the only method of updating its firmware is by downloading it from the Philips website, burning it to a disc, and then updating the player with it. That is not a big problem. But, the Philips BDP7200/37 nevertheless is not Profile 2.0 compliant. The PS3, on the other hand, because it receives fairly frequent system updates from the Playstation Network, easily made the transition from Profile 1.0 to Profile 1.1 and from Profile 1.1 to Profile 2.0.

I'm not endorsing the PS3 as a Blu-ray player that everyone should go out and buy, because I think $400 is too much for any Blu-ray player, unless you're apart of that niche market of large disposable incomes. I think it would be smarter just to wait for cheaper, faster players that are Profile 2.0 compliant right out of the box. But, if you're actually going to pay $400 for a player right now, the PS3 seems like the better overall investment.
Old 18th August 2008, 21:01   #19
Simfee
Banned

OK...
What about this:
EISA Awards 2008/2009
European Blu-ray Player Winner

Panasonic DMP-BD50

Description

The Panasonic DMP-BD50 is more than a spectacular Blu-ray Disc player as it also allows playback of conventional DVDs with full 1080p upscaling. Its SD card slot also opens up a new world of personal entertainment with support for JPEG pictures and AVCHD video. The DMP-BD50 is also capable of decoding all the new HD audio formats from both Dolby and DTS. The DMP-BD50 is fully compatible with the BD-Live function, available on the newest Blu-ray Discs, which allows consumers to access exclusive on-line bonus features via an Ethernet connection.
Old 18th August 2008, 21:14   #20
Namelessv1
Forum King

It's nice, but it's $600.
Old 18th August 2008, 21:39   #21
Simfee
Banned

Best products, horrible prices.
Old 20th August 2008, 09:38   #22
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
My question is, why can't people just realize that it's easier to integrate the "living room TV" with a computer? I've been doing this since the Pentium II days. It gives me the flexibility to play computer games on the TV, the ability to store videos/movies on the hard drive and play on the TV, etc.

Personally I hate removable storage with the exception of tiny flash drives and relatively small portable hard drives. Why keep track of scratchable disks when I can just (legally) download and build a library of videos where I can just do a quick computer search for what I'm looking for on a hard drive?

I'm long past buying stand-alone media players or video game consoles. It's a waste of physical space and money.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 16:50   #23
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
The only reason I don't use my TV to watch movies is because my monitor is bigger and has a better quality image. Same thing with my 360.

Do DVD player programs upscale DVDs to the screen's resolution?

There is no sig.
deeder7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 19:39   #24
Simfee
Banned

Also, PC renders any video at 32 bit color depth.
But TV & optical players max support is 16 bit.
I never buy a console, I play any console game on my PC.
Old 20th August 2008, 20:38   #25
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

i dont even watch tv anymore, i dont listen to CDs, dont watch DVD's because it is all files on my harddisc. and im not paying the price for 200 empty CDs for a single blue ray disc. not to speak of the RW drive.
P$ycHo™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2008, 19:03   #26
rockouthippie
Banned

I bought a fire sale HD-DVD player which also doubles as a upsampling DVD player with HDMI inputs into a 50" plasma 720p TV set.

HD doesn't really impress me a lot. It really only shows on computer generated movies.

420p (progressive scan) DVD's look really good in an upsampling player. Those players are pretty cheep...

Rarely would I think "This would be better in HD". Not enough for the price difference anyway.

When Blu-Ray players get in the < $100 range, then I think it's a option.

Really even on a 50" TV, my old eyes can't see the resolution improvement at my usual viewing distance of about 12 feet. At least not enough to change the viewing experience of most movies anyway.

Hi-rez ... yeah ... improvement in viewing experience ... not much unless you are sitting 3 feet from a 50".

HDTV's are cool because they are much better than conventional TV's, but I sorta give HD disk players a yawn.

I do recommend upsampling DVD players with HDMI though. That's worth a couple extra bucks.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2008, 19:58   #27
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

RoH!!!

Haven't seen you in a while. Welcome back.

Old 4th October 2008, 20:06   #28
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by swingdjted
My question is, why can't people just realize that it's easier to integrate the "living room TV" with a computer?
I have a computer hooked to my TV. It's an X2 3800 Athlon. I use Snapstream's "Beyond TV" and record HDTV from an antenna. I don't have cable. I do use Netflix. Between the streaming movies and DVD's by mail, it's enough TV. I like it better than any cable package I ever had.

BTV is highly, highly cool. Like a Tivo without a monthly fee.

Yep, you do want a computer on your TV. Or maybe for a small set, a computer and a capture card instead of a TV.

http://www.snapstream.com/products/beyondtv/

Nice typing at you too
Old 4th October 2008, 21:43   #29
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I've included this thing for the new box:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815116010

I'm hoping it'll be what I need. It too does the DVR work without the monthly fee (assuming, of course that one has the hard drive space for it).

It also helps me continue to change VHS tapes to digital media. Not just for movies, but I do a lot of media editing for work and often get VHS tapes from long ago, in addition to people asking me to incorporate clips from TV, newer camcorders, and slide shows. I'm hoping this will do it. The rig is almost complete, but the shipping on the RAM is taking forever, so I'm waiting... I'll post a better update when I get it all running.

Old 4th October 2008, 22:42   #30
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
From the comments:

Cons: The bundled software is bunk. Just install the drivers and forget the other software. Use Media Center.
It is bunk too... yep plain bunk.

Do you have a media center PC? If not, you might be better off with this bundle. I've never used a MCPC, so I don't know how good that is.

http://store.snapstream.com/btv-hvr1600.html

This has the IR blaster to control your cable box, a high gain HDTV antenna (necessary for off the air), a remote, Beyond TV software. BTV even has a server so that you can stream recorded shows over your lan.
Old 5th October 2008, 00:00   #31
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I think they might be referring to Windows Media Center, part of the operating system I was unfortunately forced to buy (Vista Home Premium 64). I was going to just use my license for XP x64, but I guess it has extreme limitations as far as drivers and lacks windows movie maker and media player, so Vista, here I come... I hope it's a good thing...

I bought basically the same thing (in terms of hardware) as what you linked to, but for a much lower price, even if I were to add the antenna separately (although no form of TV is available over the air here - not even non-hd). I've already received all my stuff for the box, just not the RAM yet. If I can get it to work with Media Center, that'll be fine, if not, I'll return it and consider the $90 more for what you've linked to.

The card I got has for some strange reason two IR receivers, one large one (called a "USB IR receiver") with a 5' USB cord, and the other smaller one (called a "remote receiver cable) with a 20 foot wire that plugs from the bigger one... Both appear to have what it takes to read what I do with the remote. Strange.

It includes RCA inputs for sound instead of the 1/8", which makes it easier than finding a bunch of converters, and it also came with an included s-video to RCA converter so that normal VCRs, video games, and old camcorders will plug directly in.

I'm hoping that this hardware, it's drivers, and Windows Media Center will do the trick.

Old 5th October 2008, 02:49   #32
Rellik
Major Dude

If you can still find a copy of Windows Media Center 2005, go for it. It's OEM XP with media center software.

Vista Home Premium does have a better media center package, but with the drawbacks of it being Vista.

Oh, and the Hauppauge software does suck quite a bit.
Rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2008, 05:02   #33
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Would it be a good idea to just make the system a duel boot with XP 64 as a secondary option (for when I'm just doing office software, browsing, and stuff like that)?

(in before "Linux you dumbass!")

Old 5th October 2008, 14:37   #34
leonel80

I won't spend money into this blu-ray technology. I am happy with the upscale work of my dvd player and sound. Until they are way cheaper will not change technology.
leonel80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 03:41   #35
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by swingdjted
Would it be a good idea to just make the system a duel boot with XP 64 as a secondary option (for when I'm just doing office software, browsing, and stuff like that)?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/

I wouldn't use hardware that's not on this list. That's even if you only use 32 bit. You might want to run 64 bit someday.

At this point, unless you are using apps that are specifically designed to run in 64 bit mode, memory access is the only advantage to running 64. 32 bit can only access 4GB of RAM. I only use 2GB in my machines, so it does nothing except create compatibility problems. Using Vista at all will give you a few headaches.

You won't notice any speed increase from running 32 bit apps under 64.

About the only thing I could think of that would necessitate running 64 is large database stuff.
Old 7th October 2008, 05:32   #36
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Both would be 64 (Vista Home Premium 64 and XP x64) if I were to duel boot. It would be a monumental waste of 16GB RAM (G.Skill DDR2 800) if I went with 32 bit.

It looks like the TV card is compatible and certified for vista. It was very difficult to find exactly which card on the search results, but 3 looked like they might be mine, and they were all certified. One of them mentioned that I would need a free download to run it rather than ready to go out of the box. Thanks for the link though - I'll use that a lot in the future when making hardware decisions.

Old 7th October 2008, 11:26   #37
rockouthippie
Banned

What you are actually going to do with 16GB of ram is beyond me. Beyond TV is working on a version that works with 64 bit, but not yet.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no media center bundled with either of those OS's. What are you going to use for software for that fancy capture card?
Old 7th October 2008, 15:04   #38
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

vista home premium 32 bit and 64 bit, both come with windows media center

Old 7th October 2008, 16:58   #39
Rellik
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by rockouthippie
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no media center bundled with either of those OS's. What are you going to use for software for that fancy capture card?
^ That and:
http://www.gbpvr.com/ (Free)
http://www.team-mediaportal.com/features.html (free, Open source)
http://sagetv.com/ (commercial)
http://www.snapstream.com/products/beyondtv/ (Commercial)

Quote:
MythTV can be a real bitch to get configured right, but it can be quite powerful once set up properly.

Thankfully you can get MythTV specific distributions like Mythbuntu, but there will still be a fair amount of configuration to do.
Rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2008, 19:25   #40
rockouthippie
Banned

The point is that at least Beyond TV won't, as yet, run in 64 bit. I wonder how many of these others will work.

I haven't regretted the $70 for Beyond TV at all. With the remote, it acts like a world class PVR. I think it IS mythtv ported for Windows and massaged to a commercial product. Sure works a lot the same.

"MythTV can be a real bitch to get configured right" That's pretty understated and I'm hardly a noob.

It looks like the open source stuff up there could be worth a try, but usually you get what you pay for.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Breaking News