Old 31st January 2009, 19:34   #1
dlichterman
Forum King

I bought a netbook

Hey everyone.....

Been a while since I've actually posted here. I just thought in my infinite boredom that I would post a pic of my new computer....an Acer Aspire One A150. I freaking love this thing! The reason I chose this one was that they didn't fuck with the keyboard, they only shrunk it, so all the keys are right where they are supposed to be, unlike some of the other netbooks(*cough* DELL MINI 9 *cough*).

Here you can see it compared to my 14 inch Dell and touch pro. This thing only weighs 2 pounds! Its so much nicer than lugging my "big" laptop around. I also bought a battery from china that is coming in the mail that should get me around 7-8 hours of battery life. I'm hoping that I wont need to bring a charger some days! I got the model with XP, a gig of ram, a 160GB Hd(was only supposed to get a 120, but it was upgraded free!), a webcam, and 2 SD card readers. I really freaking love it, and totally recommend the Acer.

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free.-*-If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0-*-Guess the band from pics game
dlichterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2009, 20:24   #2
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

i thought about buying a netbook but i figured i cant do shit with it because for anything other than office and web you cant do anything with 1.6 ghz.
P$ycHo™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2009, 20:39   #3
gaekwad2
Foorum King

No, it won't run the latest games at 100fps.

But for a lot of uses a 1.6GHZ processor (that according to reviews is generally faster than a Pentium M) is more than enough.
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2009, 20:41   #4
Namelessv1
Forum King

I've been looking into buying a netbook, Acer specifically, but I was wondering about how comfortable the keyboard was. Is it fairly easy to take notes or create a lengthy document or is it rather cramped?
Namelessv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2009, 21:01   #5
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

Re: I bought a netbook

Quote:
Originally posted by dlichterman
I also bought a battery from CHINA that is coming in the mail that should get me around 7-8 hours of battery life.
LOL

This is a sig of some nature.
Psythik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2009, 23:35   #6
dlichterman
Forum King

Re: Re: I bought a netbook

China was the only place I could buy a battery that was 7200mAh. Stock is 2200mAh. 2.5*3.27=8.18 hours! I'm just hoping for a good 7 and I'm sold.

The keyboard is not too bad because they didn't fuck with it, they just shrank it. I am able to type pretty fast on here, it takes about a day to get used to but after that its fine.

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free.-*-If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0-*-Guess the band from pics game
Old 1st February 2009, 06:33   #7
General Geoff
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to General Geoff Send a message via AIM to General Geoff
I got an Aspire One with a 6-cell battery, and it lasts ~6 hours during normal usage for me. I've had it last up to 6.5, depending on how I'm using it.

General Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2009, 09:49   #8
dlichterman
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by General Geoff
I got an Aspire One with a 6-cell battery, and it lasts ~6 hours during normal usage for me. I've had it last up to 6.5, depending on how I'm using it.
3rd Party or OEM? One I bought was obviously not OEM....65 bucks shipped though!

Old 1st February 2009, 13:10   #9
Vie
Forum King

Location: Thoron fields and Duranium shadows. Posts: Crap mostly
Should have gone for the Asus EEE 901, sorry but its a better thought out machine even if its not the cheapest.

Also its Vie proof since I've dropped it multiple times onto hard surfaces without a flaw, even its silly piano black top lid is still scratchless despite me never bothering to put it in its sleave.

Also, I'm on it right now using my 1680*1050 monitor, running at its native rez without having to perform any tricks, it works out of the box.

I had looked at the Aspire, but to be honest I have very little faith in Acer's build quality, got burnt by an Acer Laptop before.

Member most in need of SpellCheck Lifetime Achievement Award

I'm a Twitch Streamer these days, it's weird.
Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2009, 23:06   #10
General Geoff
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to General Geoff Send a message via AIM to General Geoff
Quote:
Originally posted by dlichterman
3rd Party or OEM? One I bought was obviously not OEM....65 bucks shipped though!
OEM.

General Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 05:50   #11
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
I like it a lot. If I were still in college or grad school, I'd buy something like that. It looks rather handy, although I don't know if I'd get used to the reduced size keyboard as quickly as you did.

When I was in grad school, P4/XP computers were popular, but I had a Pentium (1) MMX laptop with Windows 98SE and Office 2000 Pro on it. That was sufficient for taking notes, browsing the internet, or even using to store/use images and music. The thing still works.

I hope your new notebook is just as useful and long lasting.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 07:12   #12
dlichterman
Forum King

So far it has been great. It makes such a difference not having my bigger laptop with the extra battery. The weight difference is very noticeable since I am taking the train to school every day. Plus it gets looks from everyone! The keyboard does take some getting used to, but once you get used it to it you can type fast yet again.

Pentium 1! Wow those were the days....
I actually have a PII 300mhz CF-27 Toughbook thats a touchscreen. That thing is fun to play with.

Old 3rd February 2009, 22:38   #13
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
She's been an oldie but a goodie. I usually just use it as a winamp player for the garage stereo, and a display for directions/plans for projects that I type up in the house. The "drink beer now" 3D text screen saver is running.

I don't have a newer picture of it in the current garage - It's too damn cold to plug it in out there now, but here's what it looked like at my last place in Akron, OH (see far left). And besides, my current garage sucks compared to my last one in the pic.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 08:59   #14
biggman15

hmm..... a reason to post! I just bought one of these little netbooks last thursday. I love it too. But the little keyboard is odd. I'm tempted to find a keyboard that travels well just to throw in the car for when I visit a friends house. I've gotten used to it a bit. I'm not hitting random keys as often as I did. But I also had to disable the touchpad. for me, this little thing is a huge upgrade. My last computer was a full desktop running a 1Ghz. Man it's easy to choke that thing...

And I still haven't decided what to do about a travel mouse. Oh well that's more of a I don't like the cheapo's and I don't want to spend the money on a nicer one...

biggman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 14:33   #15
forlan2074
Banned

I looking for a smart Acer netbook skins is having all the qualities for which i m looking for, Is this website is really good in providing notebooks with elegant skins? I am going to buy a new netbook.

Acer netbook skins
forlan2074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions