Old 21st November 2002, 22:35   #1
LAVAB84615

Send a message via ICQ to LAVAB84615 Send a message via AIM to LAVAB84615
new harddrive???

sup all,
just wanted to know what you think is the best and quietest hard drive out there now. I'm thinking about a new 40 gb seagate barracuda, but, i keep getting distracted by those cool western digital "special editions" 8 mb buffer... what do you think?
LAVAB84615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2002, 22:39   #2
dylman
Forum King

My Maxtor 80Gb sounds very cool when spinning up/down. Other than that, nobody seems to have a bad word to say about Western Digital drives.

Just avoid IBM!

There's no need to tell me when I'm right;
I operate on that principle exclusively and with absolute certainty
dylman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2002, 23:34   #3
n_ick2000
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to n_ick2000 Send a message via Yahoo to n_ick2000
Re: new harddrive???

Quote:
Originally posted by LAVAB84615
i keep getting distracted by those cool western digital "special editions" 8 mb buffer.
yes

Get one of those.

I will be getting one soon to replace my terrible IBM drive. Turns out IBM makes terrible drives, so don't even consider them. I learned the hard way.

But, yeah, I have heard numerous review on the WD Special Editions, and it seems that they rule. So, go get one.

|
n_ick2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2002, 00:05   #4
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

The WD caviar SE drives are excellent, but seagates baracuda drives are pretty good too.

I've got 3 baracuda IV's in my current system (two 20's, one 60) and they've performed flawlessly. Theyre also very very quiet for 7200 rpm drives.

I'll be buying another hard drive after christmas (probably a 200gb) and will most likely grab a western digital.
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2002, 03:17   #5
Bass Evolution

dont look at the size to make ur decision on ur hdd please! make sure u look at rpm, heads and other features...will make the difference between slow and super speedy! 7200rpm is as low as u should go...its like monitors...15 inch are bad!!! hehe

hmmm whats wrong with IBM hhd?? (mine werks brilliant)
Bass Evolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2002, 03:26   #6
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by Bass Evolution
dont look at the size to make ur decision on ur hdd please! make sure u look at rpm, heads and other features...will make the difference between slow and super speedy! 7200rpm is as low as u should go...its like monitors...15 inch are bad!!! hehe

hmmm whats wrong with IBM hhd?? (mine werks brilliant)
A 5400rpm drive would be fine for storing mp3s and backing up stuff, when it comes to cost per gb, theyre hard to beat...

IBM's deskstar drives have earnt themselves a reputation for being unreliable.
Old 22nd November 2002, 03:34   #7
Bass Evolution

*looks at IBM deskstar*

please atmo tell me more, im interested...
but really mine is the best hdd ive eva had

my last one, no two hdd have phuked up and they were WD...*sigh*

and i will agree 5400 is fine for backup, but for any apps it just has no edge to it...
Old 22nd November 2002, 04:02   #8
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Try a google search, theres litterally thousands of reports of drives failing..

Not all are deskstar drives (but theyre not called deathstars for no reason). Anything with moving parts will eventually wear out, some are lucky, some are unlucky. I've only ever had one drive fail, and that was a 100mb maxtor in my old 386sx.
Old 22nd November 2002, 04:08   #9
InvisableMan
Ninja Master!
(Forum King)

you want a 10k rpm IDE drive.

do not do scsi.
InvisableMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2002, 04:16   #10
TheOrgasmicMe

Send a message via AIM to TheOrgasmicMe
western digital with 8MB buffer is VERRRRRRRYYYY speedy go find a graph somewhere, it increases preformance on all files under like 2 gigs or something like that, they are also very quiet, with liquid bearings, a friend of mine just got one, they are very nice. i think you should get it.

oh yeah, and im sort of back now, ive been gone for a while now because im a lazy fucktard.

Sean k.

- Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
TheOrgasmicMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2002, 19:06   #11
AjStone
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to AjStone Send a message via AIM to AjStone Send a message via Yahoo to AjStone
I'm holding out for the Serial ATA drives to be released soon.

300 MBps transfer rate!!
AjStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2002, 22:19   #12
AloneInTheDark

I suggest a 40 Gb Maxtor Ata 133 (i don't remember model). It's a very slim hdd (his height is about half of a normal hdd), cheap and reliable. I think that Ibm hard disks are not so bad (do you know that Ibm sold his hard disk business to Hitachi?... very strange... )
AloneInTheDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2002, 23:34   #13
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by InvisableMan
do not do scsi.
More expensive, granted. But far superior in design and speed. IDE really doesn't cut it compared to SCSI disks.

I too also have two IBM disks a 13 and a 83 and both are excellent drives, never had a problem with either and the 13 is almost years old now. Both very fast and the newer one is pretty quiet too. One of those 15k rpm SCSI drives would be a mean boot disk

"We think science is interesting and if you disagree, you can fuck off."
fwgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2002, 15:38   #14
BMWboy

Currently, my computer has 2 Hdds in it. on is a 20 GB5400rpm Maxtor and the other is a 40GB 7200rpm samsung. the samsung used to be my main drive, until my computer had a horrific crash that caused it to think that it had no C: drive. when I finally got it to recognize the C: drive, it tried to boot up win 98, even though it was runiing Win XP. I still have no clue what caused it. I wound up having to reinstall XP on the slower Maxtor, one of the last things I did before it crashed was to clean up the drive, I only had 100MB free after XP went on it, and now my computer is slow as all hell. in order to solve this, I just got a 120GB 7200rpm WD hdd for my PC,with the intention of making it my main drive (the local best buy had them for $100 USD), hooked it all up only to find out that, at some point in the last 6 months my floppy drive had gone bad(shows how much I use it), and i need to floppy drive to copy the C drive. so now I am just waiting for the next computer to get a floppy so I can copy the old C: drive.
BMWboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2002, 00:35   #15
Bass Evolution

sounds like a virus..crashes shouldnt remove HHD's....
=solution=

hehe
Old 24th November 2002, 10:49   #16
AloneInTheDark

I think that was a virus too. The Pc must always recognize every hdd. Of course, if the hdd is not faulty...but in this case, the system can never find it and, above all, it can't boot Win 98 if you have Win Xp! A virus got your Pc! I'm agree with Bass Evolution: you must format the hdd, but not with the Dos Format, you must use Win Xp Cd (if i'm not mistaken, you can't access to a disc formatted with Ntfs file system using a Dos formatted fdd)
Old 24th November 2002, 11:01   #17
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Sounds like the mbr was overwritten somehow. Its possible for a virus to do that, but more its more likely to have taken out both os' rather than just xp.

Why do you need a floppy drive bmwboy?? With 120gb, you could create a fat32 partition to backup all your stuff, then reinstall both os'.
Old 24th November 2002, 11:48   #18
c2R
Stereotype?
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by AloneInTheDark
(if i'm not mistaken, you can't access to a disc formatted with Ntfs file system using a Dos formatted fdd)
Yes and no. You're right in saying that natively, you can't read a NTFS partition from DOS. However, you can install ntfsdos (http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/fr.../NTFSDOS.shtml) on the DOS boot floppy. The free version allows read-only access, while the pay version allows read-write access.
c2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2002, 14:33   #19
AloneInTheDark

I know it, c2R, but i didn't remember the program name. Do you know if exist something similar to access Linux partition through a Dos boot floppy? My friend asked to me, to format an hdd previously formatted with Linux (i know i'm out of topic, but it's important, thanks)
Old 25th November 2002, 01:39   #20
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Re: new harddrive???

Quote:
Originally posted by LAVAB84615
I'm thinking about a new 40 gb seagate barracuda, but, i keep getting distracted
by those cool western digital "special editions" 8 mb buffer...
what do you think?
Heyhey, I've got one of each, and believe me, both are awesome.
Seagate Barracuda 60Gb & Western Digital 80Gb Ultra ATA / both = 7200 rpm
Truly awesome!

(just got the new WD drive yesterday, and moved 30Gb of MP3's straight
over to it, didn't take too long either)

After backing up everything off it, I binned my old IBM drive.
Yup, IBM make lousy hard drives. Bad sectors started appearing a few weeks back.
I've heard good & bad about Maxtor, but I've never owned one to get first-hand experience.
Basically, what I'm sayin' is: go for either Seagate
(Seagate Barracuda only, not standard Seagate crap) or WD,
and you won't be disappointed.
Though, if I had to choose between the two, I'd go for the WD . . .
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2002, 10:24   #21
LAVAB84615

thanks all, i got an 80 gb WD 8 mb buffer for 80 bucks!!! heck ya! $1 per gig! yay!
Old 4th December 2002, 10:28   #22
s0be
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to s0be Send a message via AIM to s0be Send a message via Yahoo to s0be
ok, I have 2x scsi-2 seagate barracuda 10x RPM drives (hot swap) and they are THE loudest drives I've ever heard. I also have 2x WD caviar IDE drives, that are near silent, and 1 seagate 5400rmp scsi drive that's near silent, oh, and this IBM deathstar drive that sounds like a moaning goat.

(go with WD)

/*
S0Be
*/

And On that day, the Lords of the land said unto their Master Architect, "The temple you have made to the gods of Wasabi and Maki has brought us no great prosperity" and they sent out him into the lands.

As he traveled to a far off land, he found he wasn't traveling alone, but that he had gained companions, and when they found their new land, they started work on a new temple, one that would be OPEN to all who wanted to worship.

from The Book of Wasabi C 12 Vs 09 (pg 2003)
s0be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2002, 10:30   #23
LAVAB84615

yah, ibm harddrives suck
Old 4th December 2002, 16:03   #24
Curi0us_George
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Curi0us_George Send a message via Yahoo to Curi0us_George
1. Don't get a 10000 rpm drive. The benchmarks show no difference in actual speed.

2. Don't worry about ATA133. Current IDE harddrive technology doesn't need more bandwicth than ATA100 provides.

3. The 8mb of cache is worth the money. Get it if you can afford it.

4. Don't worry about SCSI. It's not worth the extra cost (nor the cost of the controller)

5. Get the biggest harddrive you can afford. You'll be glad you did in a year.

For the freedom to express myself in my own way without fear of being censored or banned.

47 65 6C 61 65 64 2E 63 6F 6D 00
Curi0us_George is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions