Old 30th December 2012, 13:59   #1
Rikev

Cannot Play DVD or VOB Files

I'm trying to enable DVD playback in Windows 8 but it won't work. I'm not sure I'm doing it properly as I put the disk in the tray, double click the VOB files and WinAmp loads but doesn't do anything with the file. is this correct?

I've tried the following:

- Installed the MP4 Splitter (copy to system32 and registered under Admin Command Prompt).
- Installed FFDShow and configured it's codecs as per the guide on here.
- Tweaked the file extensions for the plugins as per the guide.
- Used the preferred filters tool to set everything to use ffdshow instead of Windows defaults.

It still won't play DVDs and all I have to show for my efforts is a load of third party stuff on my system.

The WinAmp is the free version (I lost access to the E-Mail account with my Pro key in it!) and a clean install of both WinAmp and Win 8 64.
Rikev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2012, 22:58   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Rikev,

You should do some research on Google. You need a special codec to play DVDs. This codec is not free for apps produced in the US. Windows 7 provided it natively and it was removed in Windows 8 to reduce cost.

Microsoft was (and maybe is still) offering a free patch for adding the Windows Media Center for early adopters of Windows 8. WMC includes the codex needed to play DVDs.

VLC also has native support for playing DVDs. VLC is produced in a country that has laws prohibiting charging for this codec.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2012, 02:44   #3
Rikev

So the guide to playing VOB files and that on here doesn't work for Win 8? I know it lacks DVD support out the box hence looking for alternatives to Windows Media Player.

VLC unfortunately crashes every time I try to open a DVD so I gave up on it.
Rikev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2012, 04:27   #4
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Rikev,

Windows 8 is too new for the Winamp devs to have had the time to figure out all the compatibility changes that will be needed.

I like I said before, the only free way to play DVDs in Windows 8 at this time is with WMC or VLC. Do you have version 2.0.5 of VLC? Have you checked the VLC forum for a solution to the crashing?

Article about this stuff linked below (I suggest you also read the comments at the end of the article).

http://www.extremetech.com/computing...s-in-windows-8

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 16:11   #5
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

You can also use Media Player Classic Home Cinema:

http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/

The main problem is, that larger companies like AOL or Microsoft are forced to pay the license fee.

There were also a couple of 3rd party plugins for Winamp which allowed DVD playback. But some of them required a third party DVD decoder (for example an installed PowerDVD, which installs the Cyberlink DVD DirectShow Decoder.).

Never mind most of the old Winamp plugins are not working with current Winamp releases anymore, because they never got any update. And a lot of the plugins I've tried in the past were buggy from the start, hehe.

Playing Vob files in Winamp should be possible if a third party decoder like Cyberlink or ffdshow is installed on the system. You can add .vob to the extension list in Nullsoft DirectShow decoder. That's all explained in the sticky threads in this forum. Though, you wont get any proper dvd navigation etc.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support