Old 23rd October 2010, 03:16   #1
pball_inuyasha

Winamp moves when display options changed

This is an annoying bug/behavior of winamp I have seen throughout the years. Whenever I change my monitors display options winamp moves from the position where I placed it.

I have two monitors and winamp is snapped to the bottom right corner of the secondary monitor. Whenever the main monitors resolution is changed (like when loading a game) or the orientation changed (rotating to use vertically) winamp will move from the place I set it on the second monitor. This is annoying as I have to move winamp back where it should of stayed. Winamp is the only program that resides on my second monitor that has a problem with this.

I would be happy if winamp could be changed so changing display options doesn't affect it's relative position on a monitor.

Tests I tried:
1. Place winamp on secondary monitor
2. Change orientation of primary monitor
3. Observe winamp no longer in the same place on secondary monitor
4. Undo orientation change, if winamp was "pushed" off the secondary monitor it will be on the main monitor if not it should be where it was placed.

It appears to me winamp is trying to retain it's x,y location. For example I have a 1680x1050 primary monitor so I put winamp right at the right edge it's x,y location will be 1500,500 for example. When the primary monitor is rotated it "becomes" a 1050x1680 monitor, so winamp will get pushed to the second monitor because it wants to stay at the same x,y coordinated and not change to account for the display change. I believe this should be a fairly trivial thing to fix since so many other programs can account for changes like this.
pball_inuyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2011, 05:48   #2
pball_inuyasha

sorry for bumping my own thread, but it's been nearly a year and this bug still persists.
Old 12th October 2011, 03:05   #3
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi pball_inuyasha,

This is not a bug. Winamp is not designed to do what you want. If you want this
feature added, I suggest you add it to the forum wishlist thread. If it is a fairly
trival thing to do and a Winamp developer has the time (after fixing real bugs)
it may be added.

It won't hurt to ask nicely.
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 05:41   #4
pball_inuyasha

I'll still personally call it a bug, since winamp is the only program that exhibits this behavior and that makes it outside the norm.

But I'll take you advice of asking for a fix in the feature suggestions area.
Old 12th October 2011, 12:04   #5
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by pball_inuyasha View Post
I'll still personally call it a bug, since winamp is the only program that exhibits this behavior and that makes it outside the norm.
Now is that nice?

I like that Winamp is outside the norm. With the right plugins, I can do stuff I can't
do with other media players.

But seriously, I understand your frustration, however I've yet to see an app that
self adjusts for resolution changes during or between executions. I think you're
very lucky that Winamp is the only app you've used that has position issues.

Most apps I've used let Windows handle remembering window size and position and
maintaining an equivalent placement if the screen resolution changes. Windows does
a good, but not perfect job of this. Sometimes it forgets and you have to 'retrain' it or
it puts stuff on the 'wrong' monitor if you hot switch from a single monitor to a multi-
monitor setup. Or, what I hate, you run a game or other full screen app that changes
the resolution and when you return to the desktop resolution sometimes things are
moved from where they were. Each version of Windows does get better at this stuff.

I've even tried a few of those apps that hook into Windows and try to help with
window size and position issues. They helped with some apps and did nothing for
others.

Some apps I've used do not let the OS or anything else remember the window size
and position you left them at. They always reopen the same way and you have to
re-adjust the size and position. They do not self adjust for resolution changes.
Sometimes some of them open partly off the screen (and its usually the part you
need to click on in order to drag them back) and you have to use keyboard shortcuts
to move them fully onto the screen.

Other apps I've used are like Winamp, where they remember the x,y for the size
and position you left them at and try to reopen at the same place. And yes, they
also do not self adjust for resolution changes. But, they also do not forget and
always return to the last size and position (if you don't change the resolution).

Going forward, the Winamp developers may join the crowd and decide to let Windows
handle remembering window size and position and adjustments for resolution
changes. This will not solve all the issues, but they won't have to take the blame.

Things are frequently not as hard as they seem. The reverse is also true. Sometimes,
you just have to roll with the punches until a solution is found. Live long and prosper.
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2011, 05:06   #6
netham45

A bigger issue is when Winamp positions itself off your screen. I sometimes use two monitors on my laptop, sometimes just one. If I leave Winamp positioned on the secondary monitor, it disappears when I unplug it. Not only is it off the screen, but the way that they handle their windows break the ability to do a 'move' on the window. It pretty much requires one to wipe out their settings if they want to get the window back, which is a bug.

It'd be nothing for the developers to check if the window was off the screen and move it back on when it's loaded, or let Windows handle the movement. It'd be better for everything to fail in the same way than to implement your own handler for screen resizes that fails in new and harder to work around ways.
netham45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports

Tags
moves, multi monitor, resolution change