Old 28th August 2009, 11:34   #1
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
Texting and driving?

How stupid are kids these days? Texting and driving? What the heck?

I can't text and ride a bike or drive. I have a hard time texting and walking as it is.

There is no sig.
deeder7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 16:35   #2
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Fuck texting

I don't even do texting...If someone wants to tell me something and they've got a phone in their hand, then they can call me...And even then, I'm annoyed at having to take phone calls...

Fuck phones

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 16:19   #3
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by MidnightViper88
Fuck texting
Fuck phones
Yep. Send me an email or stop by for coffee.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 21:57   #4
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

Txts are useful when you don't need an immediate reply and phoning may be inappropriate. Every single person I know works different hours and days, and none can take calls during work, for example. I also have a 'thing' against talking on the phone, I will if I have to but I just don't like it.

But yeah, I tried txting on my bike once... found myself at a red light with cellphone in breaking hand, had to use the curb and my shoulder as a break...
As for walking well, I can read a book on my phone so when I'm busing to work I can get through a couple of chapters. It's all about holding the phone up and away so you can still see in front of you and your periphery.
Paul_Bags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 10:18   #5
C100Wa

Majority of people text and most people who sit alone looking at their internet are whores of the internet age as well.

The web has an asthetic of clicking buttons, flashing ads, and the false sense of easy access to the whole world, in reality it is just the internet user and the computer alone.
C100Wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 10:57   #6
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

...I'm hilariously glad that your banned.
Old 30th August 2009, 16:31   #7
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul_Bags
Txts are useful when you don't need an immediate reply and phoning may be inappropriate.
Then they can leave a message; Voice mail and answering machines are convenient for a reason...

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 30th August 2009, 21:35   #8
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

I like my phone. Especially since my mom doesn't give me my messages.

There is no sig.
Old 30th August 2009, 21:48   #9
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

Except when it costs more to call than to txt, and when it costs to check voicemail as well. It can be no good leaving voice mail if the person has no money. Don't know what plans you have where you are, but here it's usually cheaper to txt a short message.
Old 30th August 2009, 22:09   #10
Rellik
Major Dude

In Utah, if you cause an accident while texting, you can face the pretty much the same penalties as a drunk driver.

Now proving that the driver was texting without breaking privacy laws, that's another matter.
Rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 23:39   #11
C100Wa

Quote:
...I'm hilariously glad that your banned.
Hey how is it going I am glad today is sunny outside. Have you ever walked outside your door.
C100Wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 05:45   #12
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Quote:
Except when it costs more to call than to txt, and when it costs to check voicemail as well. It can be no good leaving voice mail if the person has no money. Don't know what plans you have where you are, but here it's usually cheaper to txt a short message.
That's redundant; Whoever heard of cell phone service with just a texting plan...If someone is worried about how much phone costs are, then what the fuck are they doing buying a cell phone plan in the first place?

Oh, and you have a keyboard; It's not that hard to type the "e" in "text"...

Old 31st August 2009, 05:59   #13
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

To receive calls more often than make them?

It's commonly called a txt here (which is also I believe a trademarked term, like calling 'plasters' 'band aids'), it also distinguishes it from other forms of 'text' which could be anything from the works of Shakespeare to what I'm writing here now. If you want me to be correct I should call it an SMS message.
Old 31st August 2009, 06:20   #14
Rellik
Major Dude

Quote:
Oh, and you have a keyboard; It's not that hard to type the "e" in "text"...
txtrs r ntrius for shrtning wrds to get thr msg out quik

God that was painful to write.
Old 31st August 2009, 06:30   #15
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

I hate shorthand messages. So hard to understand.

There is no sig.
Old 31st August 2009, 06:34   #16
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Quote:
It's commonly called a txt here (which is also I believe a trademarked term, like calling 'plasters' 'band aids'), it also distinguishes it from other forms of 'text' which could be anything from the works of Shakespeare to what I'm writing here now. If you want me to be correct I should call it an SMS message.
It's called contextual conversation; In this sort of discussion, nobody's stupid enough to not be able to decipher between text conversations and a work of literature...

Old 31st August 2009, 07:51   #17
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

The fact that you don't like it doesn't make it any less valid. Call it colloquial, call it slang, call it shorthand, call it a trademark; that fact is that in the context of the conversation it's a valid term.

Now if I'd said something like:
Quote:
Originally posted by Rellik
txtrs r ntrius for shrtning wrds to get thr msg out quik*
then I could understand getting butthurt, but the use of a slang/industry term? What?

*I have no idea what the FUCK that says.
Old 31st August 2009, 17:27   #18
Rellik
Major Dude

"Texters are notorious for shortening words to get their message out quick."

I probably used bigger words than a texter would normally.
Old 31st August 2009, 21:28   #19
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

shortening textmessages is so 1991

Here, they found a simple solution for both calling and texting: You may not hold a phone in your hands while driving (with a €150 penalty).

I don't like textmessages but sometimes it's easier. If my reply is replied with another question, I usually call the person back. I hate those IM-like conversations.

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 21:43   #20
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

I like texting better than talking sometimes. Especially when I don't really want to talk to the person.

There is no sig.
Old 31st August 2009, 21:51   #21
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

"Txting" is still representative of shorthand laziness, no matter what it's contextual practicality is...Above all, it's evolved into something that's just stupid...Mountain Dew's marketed brand name was changed to "Mtn Dew" in order to appeal to the younger texting audience...This shit is just getting out of hand...

On the other hand, like WotL said, I don't mind simple texts to convey a single thought or message...Every year, my older sister sends out text messages to wish people a Happy Birthday or Merry Christmas or whatever...But if somebody tries to text me in order to start a continued conversation, that's when I don't even try, because it ends up being redundant and counter-productive if we both have our phones in our hands and would have a more efficient time just calling and talking each other...

Either way, I reiterate...

Quote:
Fuck texting

Old 3rd September 2009, 05:18   #22
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
Quote:
Fuck texting

(other parts of the post)

Fuck phones
I don't carry a a cell phone. Renee and I share one, but she keeps it. Sometimes they're necessary, but usually not for me. I know of no plan where texting is less expensive than calling alone. I feel it's a grossly inefficient (and sometimes very dangerous) way to communicate and is redundant to the already-better email system in place. Our school gets papers turned in from students with annoying abbreviated words because they're so used to texting. Our teachers do take credit away for this and I'm glad they do.

If you ask me, anyone at fault for a vehicular accident caused by cell phone use, either talking hand-held or texting should have to pay 100% of the cost of the accident, or until broke before getting any insurance help. Cell phone use while driving is no accident; it's a voluntary decision made, just like other no-insurance-help "accidents" such as falling through ice on a lake (insurance will not cover that and other related vehicle problems).

A cell phone "accident" nearly killed my mother (who was not the user), which is why I get rather firm when voicing my thoughts on the topic.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 01:56   #23
Razzinno
Piffle Producer

In case anyone hasn't seen or heard about it yet. (As of late, you now have to verify your age, due to the graphic nature of clip.) Simulated of course, but it makes it point.
Razzinno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 06:34   #24
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

Far too stupid. Most people who txt and drive will think "yeah but I'm not a stupid giddy girl completely not looking at the road, when I do it, I can see the road really well out the corner of my eye". An ad about distracted drivers should show a mildly distracted driver, not over the top behaviour that no-one can relate to. Also the crash itself is so bad I couldn't stop laughing...
Old 8th September 2009, 22:02   #25
stingercell

Texting and Driving (THE BIG MOUTH SHOW)

people that text and drive are like a virus, let them do it so they kill themselfs off! less Dumb Fuckers left out there for the rest to deal with.

Check out The Big Mouth Show talking about texting and Driving

http://www.youtube.com/user/MRBIGMOU.../1/5aDyByUGsT4

leave your comments about texting and driving!
stingercell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 22:45   #26
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

Re: Texting and Driving (THE BIG MOUTH SHOW)

Quote:
Originally posted by stingercell
people that text and drive are like a virus, let them do it so they kill themselfs off! less Dumb Fuckers left out there for the rest to deal with.
That logic is horrible. The more people txting and driving, the MORE dumb fuckers everyone has to deal with, not to mention it's not just themselves they kill.
Old 8th September 2009, 22:48   #27
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

When I drive I make sure there's a lot of room between me and the guy in front of me so I have time to react.

There is no sig.
Old 8th September 2009, 22:55   #28
stingercell

First of all there is bound to be some people out there that are taken before there time because of this way of thinking about, really if they can't pay fucking attention to the road there most likely doing something just as bad as texting and driving.

Talking on the phone

Eating a Cheese pizza

Giving head to there boyfriend...

and at that point i really don't care if they die or not. Bottom line is if your a good defensive driving then you don't have much to worry about.
Old 8th September 2009, 23:07   #29
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

And what if your options are lampost or car veering at you? Doesn't matter how good a driver you are, you can be faced with situations that are unavoidable to you, and situations bought on by careless drivers are entirely their fault.
Old 8th September 2009, 23:17   #30
stingercell

I almost feel like Police need to start treating texting while driving much like a DUI! If you think about it!

Its not only texting I am worried about anymore, its Updating your facebook or twitter or myspace while driving!

Programs like LOOPT on the iphone and blackberry that promote updating while traveling. They don't say 'Please update while your driving but there are really stupid people out there that feel they have to update people and let them know when they are doing something out of the norm!

Something my father told me a long time ago "KEEP IT IN YOUR PANTS" he was talking about having sex at the time but this can be used for text or using your cellphone while driving as well!

KEEP IT IN YOUR PANTS UNTIL YOU REACH YOUR DESTINATION!
Old 8th September 2009, 23:27   #31
fc*uk

Come dude, you live in Michigan. You know we can't drive here; we had problems with it even before cellphones became main stream.

Yeah, I know, refer to "giving head to their boyfriend comment".

Can't tell you how many times I have seen that on m way to/from up north.
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 23:39   #32
stingercell

First of all! living in Northern Michigan i would have to say that we have some of the best driving having to deal with record braking snow falls.

I see city's calling a snow day for 2 inches of snow when we get 12 inches and there still not sure if we should have a snow day. this is because when you live in the northern part of michigan you have to make the choice to drive in the danger zone and risk your life ever day on the road.

We know how to drive better in Michigan because we have the the most fucked up roads in the country! because of that we have to keep our eyes sharp and our reflexes even sharper.
Old 9th September 2009, 00:15   #33
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I don't know anyone that drives a car on a road with 12" of snow. There are very few vehicles out there that are capable of it, and if you don't have one designed for that and yet still drive in it, you likely are not a good driver. The reason for no school closure is that it had already been properly cleared, or at least partially.

Communities without the means to quickly and effectively remove snow resort to school closure in less severe conditions not because their drivers can't handle it, but because the equipment and manpower aren't there to make the roads safe in time. For example, when I taught in South Dakota, we often had school in session when the snow was over the level of the windowsills (about 3-4 feet), because the roads were as clean as they would be after only maybe 1-2 inches. On the other hand, I have friends in South Carolina that have to close schools after only 4-5 inches of snowfall. Here in Iowa, school closings might come early because in my extremely rural district (all corn farms, each measured in multiple 640-acre per square mile section), we have more miles of roads to clean than some entire countries - literally.

Furthermore, accumulated snowfall is rarely a sole reason for school closure - it usually has more to do with other intervening or related conditions, usually involving ice. Even with no snow, freezing rain in Pennsylvania (where I grew up) will cause a school closing because roads aren't passable. Then, people from states with a lot of snow call Pennsylvanians pansy asses or less competent drivers when they do the smart thing and reduce traffic on dangerous roads. Another example, with very little snowfall and a lot of wind, whiteout conditions happen, and even though there's not much snow to speak of, it's nearly impossible to see more than 10 feet in front of your front bumper.

Nothing personal, it's just that I work for a school that must make tough decisions when it comes to snow days, and few people understand all the factors that go into it - and I've just scratched the surface.

Old 9th September 2009, 00:50   #34
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

The annoying part is when public transport is still running and you get no word from the school that they're closing. Then you have to wait for an hour in the snow to bus home again.*

Admittedly we get all of one days snow here a year if we're very lucky, so it's no wonder the policies are a bit on the cautious side.

*I actually decided that I could walk to a mates place faster than that, happened to be his birthday that day too so I just hung out there for the day.
Old 9th September 2009, 01:49   #35
fc*uk

When I lived in Chicago there were a few times when I took my Wrangler around with 12'' of snow. Bloody fun times there. Drove all the way to work from the city just to find out that I was the only one in damn near the entire division that made it into work.

There was another time when my wife and I were out there that the Jeep damn near got snowed in. Snow was nearly all the way to the bumper of a 1997 Sahara. I almost took a picture, but then I broke her out.

How how I miss that Jeep. Almost flipped her/wrecked her a few times out in the Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes too. Not so smart, but fun indeed.

Anyway, my statement still stands. The average michigander drives like a wreckless jackass with or without cell phone in hand. Yea, our roads are some of the worst in the country, which is even more reason why people around here need to pay attention to what they are doing.

Dunno if any of you got news of this, but on I-75 north near 9 mile there was a massive sedan/semi accident a few months ago. The semi was carrying a tanker full of gasoline, tanker hit bridge, jack knifed, dumped it's load, fire started and burned so hot the an overpass near 9 mile melted. Reason: asshat in sedan cut semi off; it was so close the semi driver swerved in order to avoid hitting said asshat and lost control. Said asshat has yet to issue an apology for what he did.

http://jalopnik.com/5316090/detroit-...e-mega+gallery
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 02:40   #36
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

On the brighter side, whoever was the manufacturer of the truck's exhaust system should be proud of their damn fine heat-resistant product:

Shit, if I had a semi-truck, I could clean up that smokestack and use it for myself!

Old 9th September 2009, 14:33   #37
rockouthippie
Banned

Re: Texting and Driving (THE BIG MOUTH SHOW)

Quote:
Originally posted by stingercell
I almost feel like Police need to start treating texting while driving much like a DUI!
According to a lot of sources, it is a lot more dangerous than DUII, but I doubt you'll ever see Mothers Against Texting Drivers. It just isn't a catchy acronym.

http://www.google.com/search?q=texti...erous+than+dui

From my own personal experience, which was watching TV while driving and narrowly avoiding wadding a car, I'd say that it's gotta be very dangerous. I wonder if GPS and all the other horseshit people have in cars these days could be overly distracting too.

I'm not an easily distracted person either.
Old 9th September 2009, 18:26   #38
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Well, I think there are different types of distractions: There's passive distractions and active distractions...

You can be passive with the majority of in-car activities, but talking on the cell phone is relatively more active...You're listening, responding, and constantly holding a cell phone up to your ear; That's 2 active activities to 1 passive activity...Talking to a passenger just has 1 passive activity and 1 active activity if you're listening and responding; It's just passive if you're listening to someone, including the radio and GPS...Radio and GPS are only active when you start pushing buttons, but the active duration in doing that is short compared to holding a cell phone to your ear, unless you can't find a station to listen to, then you should just turn the damn thing off...

Texting is just completely active; There's nothing passive about it...

Old 9th September 2009, 23:52   #39
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

You also must consider the demographic of the people doing it, compounded with everything you just typed. These are relatively inexperienced drivers in comparison to the experience of those not texting (generally speaking at least).

Old 10th September 2009, 00:42   #40
rockouthippie
Banned

I don't think talking on a cell phone is that distracting. It's the interface with the phone that is distracting. So like I dial at a stop sign or red light.

Texting would be out of the question though. That's why I'm not sure a bluetooth really makes that much difference. It's the dialing, checking messages etc. that I think is distracting, not the talking.

For example, I don't think talking on a CB radio is at all distracting.
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > The Bitchlist