Old 10th July 2011, 16:23   #1
djfonplaz

How to load quickly a large playlist on winamp

I have my playlist .m3u with about 30.000 files that refeer to the main directory d:\music\.

Now, when I load the playlist (double click on it) the loading is really slow (about some minuts), but if I rename my folder as d:\music#\ and after I load the playlist the loading is almost immediate.

So I think winamp, founding no folder, dont load the "metadata" for each file.

How can I do the same result without renaming the folder each time? Tried on Options-Preferences-Titles, but seems that no one options works at the same manner.

Help?
djfonplaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 16:32   #2
DrO

the best option is make sure the playlist you're re-loading has had the metadata saved into it otherwise option 4 on the titles page is the best compromise for loading a large playlist without any metadata in it.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 17:09   #3
djfonplaz

Is there any option to get rid about metadata?

My best option would be read metadata only when the file is played, but also this is very slow when I load a playlist into winamp : looks that with this options it read all metadata on loading?

It should make sense if it read metadata (in fact) only when the file is played, not read ALL metadata when I load a playlist :O
Old 10th July 2011, 17:27   #4
djfonplaz

Another great strategy is this :

- create a playlist on the playlist editor (the one in the middle of winamp);
- load playlist from here;

There is another "bug" there that I really don't understand :

if I import a tracklist on the playlist editor, the import is immediate;
if I replace (with import) the same playlist in the playlist editor, the import is also immediate;

if I remove all file on the playlist editor, the deleting is REALLY SLOW (about 5 minuts for 30.000 files); why?
Old 10th July 2011, 17:32   #5
DrO

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....161361#plugins is needed to see what might be causing the slow deletion.

otherwise, all of the 'fast' options are because the metadata has been cached or at least set to a state which Winamp will then not attempt to load it.

-daz
Old 10th July 2011, 18:26   #6
djfonplaz

I don't see nothing about slow deletion :O

Anyway, at the next restart I'll try the last strategy! Hope it will works
Old 10th July 2011, 18:34   #7
DrO

then why say 'if I remove all file on the playlist editor, the deleting is REALLY SLOW (about 5 minuts for 30.000 files); why?'

-daz
Old 10th July 2011, 20:06   #8
djfonplaz

Yeah, I mean I see nothing about that problem on your link

Anyway, Now i loaded all metadata from the playlist (winamp tooks somethings like 13 minuts haha).

Now in the playlist there are some index like #EXTINF:300 for each track. I suppose this is a reference to the metadata stored in the winamp "cache".

What I'd like to know is : now these informations are stored forever (I mean, until the next unistall/format of the winamp)? Or I lost it at the next opening of Winamp?

And is it really impossible to remove these "metadata" (I don't know really what they do, I suppose other information for each file?)
Old 11th July 2011, 09:08   #9
DrO

the link is to get a plug-ins list so i can see what is present in your install which might be causing the issue if you're insistent on not storing metadata in playlist files.

#EXTINF entries are where the title and length are stored if found and is best thought of as a cache to improve loading of the file entries into a playlist view. so as long as nothing is done to those entries then re-loading that playlist should use them and that will be a lot quicker as Winamp won't need to re-create the titles (which can be slow if accessing a remote drive or having an overly complex ATF formatting string for the playlist or not having all of the metadata pre-cached in the library especially if dealing with very large numbers of files).

as long as you keep the same playlist in Winamp then it will keep that information, when you load a new playlist then that will trigger a title re-read if no title information is in the playlist.

-daz
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support