Old 15th July 2005, 14:00   #1
Katamaran

Plugin creation

I need winamp plugin something like TOASTER but without any MSN, Couvers etc. - only show ARTIST - TITLE. Toaster it do great but i need to show that info on another PC on local network. exapmle - My PC (127.0.0.1) with winamp - Other PC (127.0.0.2) with window where show what play's my winamp NOW.
Maybe posible toaster redirect etc. to another IP or need new plugin?

I'm not coder and don't understand C# C++.

Pls help.
Katamaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2005, 00:55   #2
zamoeba

Send a message via AIM to zamoeba
More info

Hi,

Do you just need the text data for artist/title?

What kind of client on the other machine do you have in mind? Just a window?

I'd like to help you if you can provide some more specific design goals.

Regards,
Z
zamoeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2005, 10:51   #3
Katamaran

Yes

I Need only format ARTIST - TITLE to another PC in black background window and the big ARIAL (24px). And don't need another - track nr. filename lenght "winamp" etc, only ARTIST - TITLE.

Pls help if you can.

And sorry for flood, i need to sleep
Old 16th July 2005, 18:27   #4
zamoeba

That sounds reasonable.

There might be an existing plugin that already does this. Have you done a thorough search?

When do you need this?

-Paul
Old 16th July 2005, 18:56   #5
Katamaran

Yes i'm searching 3 days but without results.
I need this for specificaly project (it's not irc ). Now i'm runig it without that plagin but it's hard.
When you can pls help zamoeba
Old 16th July 2005, 19:00   #6
zamoeba

OK,

The design that I have in mind is a general purpose plugin that acts as a server.

The window that displays the title/artist will run as a client.

The server will push the information to the client window.

Does this sound good?

-z
Old 16th July 2005, 20:23   #7
Katamaran

Yes its be good, only (if posible) black window on double click hide titlebar and other borders (this window including in other back background, then be good if don't seen any borders on that window).

tnx for help
Old 17th July 2005, 08:16   #8
Katamaran

Yes it's be good
Old 17th July 2005, 10:47   #9
shaneh
Major Dude

You could write a .hta to connect to a remote instance of ActiveWinamp. This can respond to the change track events and display whatever you want using HTML and ATF etc. .hta can be borderless, display fullscreen etc. I will not write this, but take a look at notify.hta and change the CreateObject params to connect to a host, and setup dcomcfg to allow remote connections to ActiveWinamp.

If you can't do this, then dont bother about it. Or at least, don't bother me about it.
shaneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2005, 17:16   #10
zamoeba

Winner!

Sounds like we might have a winner, depending on how difficult this .hta is to write.

He might not need all of the extra functionality that the .hta provides, but it is something working now, vs. something that needs to be designed and implemented.

Also, is this the correct thread for discussing new plugins?

-Z
Old 17th July 2005, 17:26   #11
Katamaran

I Don't need any extras only that ARTIST - TITLE.
But how Difficult that .hta i think don't any need for it.
Old 17th July 2005, 19:14   #12
zamoeba

Quote:
If you can't do this, then dont bother about it. Or at least, don't bother me about it.
Hmm...might be a loss-of-nuance situation here. This seems unnecessarily surly, but anyway...

That plugin looks very cool. Before I was knowledgeable of C++/Win32, I used VB to make plugins. This would have been extremely useful to me back then, but alas, now I've got the skills to do it in-process.

So, here's where I stand on this:

A customizable solution is quite possible, but I can't make any time estimates. A lot of other stuff is going on in my world right now.

My advise to you Katamaran is to investigate this .hta scheme for now. I will be able to provide an estimate sometime early this week, but we have people coming over this afternoon, so I can't work on it today.

Regards,
Paul
Old 18th July 2005, 11:13   #13
Katamaran

Ok im looking that .hta but sure - i'm too lame to create any plagin.
but i try and waiting
Old 18th July 2005, 15:15   #14
shaneh
Major Dude

Yes, try and waiting and someone will just do it for you I'm sure.

I wrote ActiveWinamp so programmer types could help themselves to easily and quickly write extensions for Winamp, plus give COM automation. Not so non-programmers could get me to write them for them - this is not the idea.

Anyway, as you are not such a programmer, I would advise against looking into AW, as it is for programmers, not people who want other people to hand them a packaged solution gratis.

Keep in mind however, if you were to implement such a thing, you would require an in-process proxy plugin, plus networking code, while keeping in mind security, multiple clients, two way communication, events, etc etc. ActiveWinamp combined with DCOM is exactly this, and done in a standard way.

.hta's unfortuantly don't support dynamic event binding on remote objects. It can be done, but its not easy. You could use a 3rd party component like ScriptX to do the binding (actually AW supports an AttachEvents call which could do it, but it leaks memory), or you could build a standalone App in VB or VC or whatever to connect to AW and handle the events. Either way, making use of AW over DCOM is going to elimnate the need for networking code and a proxy plugin.

As I said however, I won't be building such an App for you, or guiding you along the way to the point that I may as well have written the whole thing.
shaneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2005, 02:17   #15
zamoeba

Hey Shaneh,

Some of us have just "blossomed" in their programming skills. I am an EE who has recently been hired by a company to be a part of a multi-disciplinary team to do software development. Since Winamp 2.x, I've always been interested in the power of really kick-ass plugins.

Finally, a lot of the Win32/C++/MFC stuff is coming into sharp focus for me, and it's almost a euphoric feeling to finally understand this and start developing really solid code. I've been a closet computer scientist/software developer since my Commodore 64 days.

Engineering principles are fairly constant across the various disciplines. EEs have a solid math background, so it hasn't been too hard for me to come up to speed with a lot of the Computer Science topics of relevance.

To make a long story short, I would certainly like to create this module, gratis, for our friend Katamaran here. The problem right now is not the desire, but the time available. I'm getting married next month, so things are extremely hectic.

Quote:
I wrote ActiveWinamp so programmer types could help themselves to easily and quickly write extensions for Winamp, plus give COM automation. Not so non-programmers could get me to write them for them - this is not the idea.
Very true. You have done a great service for those who write in other languages/other platforms where communicating directly with the main Winamp process is not practical.

Quote:
Keep in mind however, if you were to implement such a thing, you would require an in-process proxy plugin, plus networking code, while keeping in mind security, multiple clients, two way communication, events, etc etc.
Yup, this is what a standard, "one-off" plugin would need to consider. K's design seems to call for a single client/server pair, though. I think that this design could get away with using one-way push communication from the server. Events are a non-issue. I think that making a secure plugin would be fairly easy as well, given the complexity of the design. If he's running it all behind a NAT firewall, then security is even less of a concern.

Quote:
As I said however, I won't be building such an App for you, or guiding you along the way to the point that I may as well have written the whole thing.
Again, thanks for the input. You've so much as stated that your solution is not applicable to this situation. If I have some time here in the next week or so, I feel confident of being able to provide at least a first-pass solution. Try to go easier on the non-programmers, OK? I just finished a book called "The Inmates are Running the Asylum". Check it out if you get a chance.

Regards,
Paul
Old 19th July 2005, 04:46   #16
Walrus6081769

I was looking at writing an XML-RPC extension for the plugin I'm currently creating, but it is an awful lot of work. Time is a huge factor in these things, I've completed 80% of what I initially set out to do, then find myself busy again.

I'll certainly revisit this thread again, if I find I've the time to code something, as the solution Katamaran is seeking is also being sought by a friend of mine.
Walrus6081769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2005, 06:07   #17
zamoeba

Walrus, if you're working on XML-RPC, check out gSOAP

http://www.cs.fsu.edu/~engelen/soap.html

This wonderful library allows almost effortless translation of your application protocol to SOAP over TCP. You can take your C++ data structures and method calls and translate them into SOAP. It's quite amazing!

Cheers,
Paul
Old 19th July 2005, 08:56   #18
Walrus6081769

Too late!

I went into overdrive and implemented a working XML-RPC client and server o.O

I'm currently wrapping the client into an ocx, for ease of use for ppl who don't want to know about XML-RPC. I'll look at producing a simple VB sample that displays WinAMP info on another machine as per the original requirement.

I expect a beta of my plugin to emerge towards the beginning of next week, all going well. Note, it's not just an XML-RPC server, it does a fair bit more, for example it already offers a DDE server.

C++ what's that? C all the way o.O
Old 19th July 2005, 17:39   #19
zamoeba

Quote:
C++ what's that? C all the way o.O
Hmmm.....

Anyway, gSOAP works fine with C as well. structs and/or classes.
Old 20th July 2005, 17:47   #20
Walrus6081769

Woe is me, someone has offered me lots of money to develop applications for them as of Monday, so my plugin development will go on a backburner to a while.

I'll try to squeeze out an early beta asap, but I doubt I'll have time to produce samples of any sophisitication.

Bottom line, don't rely on a solution coming from me within the next week.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Developer Center > Winamp Development