Old 27th October 2004, 11:04   #41
brotherS

Quote:
Originally posted by shaneh
The balloon tips are part of XP, it would require showing the tip in a custom window or basic tip window. This is basically what my Toaster plugin does, but uses skinning and album showing etc as well.
Thanks to you and drewbar! The Bloglines notifier also displays a 'balloon' info, so I thought it is the same in XP.

Anyway, I installed and tested the Toaster plugin - nice, I'll keep this one! Since it crashed Winamp while I was changing its settings: is there a way to be noticed about future versions of the plugin?
brotherS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2004, 13:58   #42
saivert
Banned

It does exists!

Balloon Style ToolTips do exists in Windows 2000 as it's part of the Platform SDK for that version of Windows. You can display Balloon Popups in W2k too, except that balloons do not have a close butten (X). I don't have Windows 2000 at the moment (upgraded from W98 SE to XP).

I'm going to look into this for the next version (would be 2.72).
saivert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2004, 14:39   #43
brotherS

@saivert:
Thanks, please let us know then here.

Regarding the Toaster plugin:
I like the plugin, but can't find a FAQ or description of all features (not all are self-explaining). And one suggestion: please add an option to have the track info pop up again every x minutes when a 'track' is played for more than x minutes. That would be helpful - I often listen to a internet radio station for several hours and would like to be reminded every 20 or 30 minutes what I am listening to.
Old 3rd November 2004, 07:44   #44
shaneh
Major Dude

Questions about Toaster should go in this or a new thread, rather than hijacking another or going OT:

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hlight=toaster

There is a gen_toaster.htm document which describes most things. Its installed with the plugin. Popping up every x minutes etc may make into a 0.5 stream of Toaster, I am not sure. 0.6 will be done quite differently, and will allow much more flexibility to allow things like this.

Alternatively, you can use my ActiveWinamp scripting (Winamp Scripting) plugin to call 'ShowNotification' every x minutes. This is similar to how Toaster 0.6 will allow extensibility using ActiveWinamp.
shaneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2004, 15:25   #45
siebe83
Forum King

Hi Saivert,

would it be possible to customize what happens when you click the balloon tip? As it is now, it'll make Winamp skip to the next song. Actually I don't want it to do anything at all (i.e. make the tip disappear), or maybe popup Winamp.
I have the tip configured to use Winamp tray's icon. When I click the tray icon when the tip is being displayed it'll skip to the next song instead of popup Winamp...

Great plugin: simple and clear

If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2005, 21:22   #46
Cianca

Quote:
Originally posted by siebe83
Hi Saivert,

would it be possible to customize what happens when you click the balloon tip? As it is now, it'll make Winamp skip to the next song. Actually I don't want it to do anything at all (i.e. make the tip disappear), or maybe popup Winamp.
I have the tip configured to use Winamp tray's icon. When I click the tray icon when the tip is being displayed it'll skip to the next song instead of popup Winamp...

Great plugin: simple and clear

same for me

i switch on this new version (from 1.0 delta)

but i have many problems

when the plugin popup the ballon (on change track) winamp doesn't respond for some seconds... with .m4a on ballon popup the sounds go crazy

and last but not least.. the option "Display on playback state changes" doesn't work and the ballon popup to me every stop, play,pause :|

bye

The universal god of light, love, wisdom and rok n rol
Cianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2005, 07:17   #47
saivert
Banned

Unfortunaltely I havent had time to work on NxS Ballon Tip for a while now, but I'm going to create a new version soon. The latest version (version 2.72) which should be available at Winamp.com is the one you need to be using until that.

I have created a new version of NxS Thinger plugin instead.
Check out it's thread:

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=195247
Old 11th January 2005, 13:45   #48
saivert
Banned

Version 2.73 out now!

The new stuff for this release is:
  • This time you should never ever see the balloon popup all the time when playing a ShoutCAST stream. It took a lot of releases for this to be finally fixed. I don't know why I couldn't fix this earlier. Must have been drunk..
  • The balloon can now be displayed for more than 10 seconds. The reason why it disappeared after 10 seconds when the timeout value was set to e.g. 25 is that this plugin uses a service in Windows 2000/XP to display the balloon and Windows hides it after 10 seconds. I'm now redisplaying the balloon if timeout value is set to more than 10 seconds.

The what's new text in the installer states that you can specify that NxS Balloon Tip should display the balloon popup once in a while when playing HTTP streams. This is wrong. You can't! I'm going to include this in the v2.74 release. My time is limited and I'm currenly spending coding time on the NxS Thinger and NxS XFade plugin projects. I'm also working on a new plugin called NxS BigClock which adds a window (skinned ofcourse) with a big clock that you can customize (show song elapsed, song remaining and time of day).

Note: The first time I uploaded version 2.73 I did a fatal mistake. I left code that produced an infinite loop which locked down Winamp completely! When I posted this post I had uploaded a second release of 2.73 (no version change because of this) with the infinite loop issue removed.
Old 13th January 2005, 07:33   #49
saivert
Banned

New version out! 2.75

What's new?

Version 2.75 (January 13th 2005)
  • Fixed: Bitrate, sample rate and channels now work, i.e. they are not zero anymore. This bug was introduced in version 2.73/2.74. Sorry!

Download:

nxsballoontip.exe (185 kB)
Old 20th January 2005, 21:09   #50
n2jtx

Send a message via AIM to n2jtx
Re: It does exists!

Quote:
Originally posted by saivert
Balloon Style ToolTips do exists in Windows 2000 as it's part of the Platform SDK for that version of Windows. You can display Balloon Popups in W2k too, except that balloons do not have a close butten (X). I don't have Windows 2000 at the moment (upgraded from W98 SE to XP).
Balloon tips are also supported in Windows Me. I have my own Winamp plugin that features balloon tips and one of the checks I have to do is make sure the shell version is at least 5.0. This is the level at which balloon tips are supported and Windows Me is running version 5.
n2jtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2005, 07:21   #51
saivert
Banned

Okay! One question: I have now tested NxS Balloon Tip on a Windows 2000 machine, but the balloons doesn't work. What must I do to display a balloon in Windows 2000. Must I set the structure size to a smaller value (one that is recognized by Windows 2000)?
Old 23rd January 2005, 11:58   #52
Cianca

Re: New version out! 2.75

Quote:
What's new?

Version 2.75 (January 13th 2005)
  • Fixed: Bitrate, sample rate and channels now work, i.e. they are not zero anymore. This bug was introduced in version 2.73/2.74. Sorry!

Download:

nxsballoontip.exe (185 kB)
ehi saivert i've downloaded your file but is 2.73 version :/

Old 24th January 2005, 12:23   #53
saivert
Banned

Ehh... fixed now!
Sorry for the inconvinience.
Old 24th January 2005, 12:33   #54
DrO

Quote:
Okay! One question: I have now tested NxS Balloon Tip on a Windows 2000 machine, but the balloons doesn't work. What must I do to display a balloon in Windows 2000. Must I set the structure size to a smaller value (one that is recognized by Windows 2000)?
have a look at this for the correct shell version define you need to get the win2k support

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2005, 16:35   #55
Cianca

Quote:
Originally posted by Cianca

but i have many problems

when the plugin popup the ballon (on change track) winamp doesn't respond for some seconds... with .m4a on ballon popup the sounds go crazy

Hey Saivert, i make some tests with your plugin (on a winamp clean system) and the problem of slowness on ballon popup there is only when the option 'use winamp's tray icon' is enabled. (NOTE THIS: slowness only when the ballon pop up and pop down... after all is normal)

when the option 'use winamp's tray icon' is disabled the ballon use the other icon and work perfectly...

Whatever... the balloons are avalaible in WinME too...

Old 9th February 2005, 12:14   #56
saivert
Banned

Balloons in Windows ME?? Hmm... never thought of this. So Windows 98 SE was the last Windows without Balloon Tooltip support. Still I'm only using Windows XP for my Win32 platform. I upgraded from Win98 SE directly to Windoze XP, never had any experience (heh.. experience=XP) with Windows 2000 except for the Server Edition on my school. I really don't seem to know why people still use pre-Windows XP SP2 installations. Upgrade. And please install Linux too (I'm using Fedora Core 1 on school where I write this and are very happy).

I guess the problems with my plugin is because I'm subclassing Winamp in order to show the balloon on behalf of Winamp. I'm going to look into it.
Old 9th February 2005, 15:21   #57
brotherS

Quote:
Still I'm only using Windows XP for my Win32 platform. I upgraded from Win98 SE directly to Windoze XP, never had any experience (heh.. experience=XP) with Windows 2000 except for the Server Edition on my school. I really don't seem to know why people still use pre-Windows XP SP2 installations. Upgrade.
That's easy People
  • don't want to buy a new OS when there's no real need
  • don't want to install everything from scratch just because they *could* upgrade their OS
  • may like the fact that more bugs have been found and fixed in W2k compared to XP as of now
Old 14th February 2005, 17:14   #58
saivert
Banned

Windows XP is based on Windows 2000 SP4 (or whatever the lates Service Pack was) and so means It has all the bug fixes made for Windows 2000. When you add WinXP SP2 you should search long for a more stable OS. Maybe you wait for Longhorn??

I may work on Windows 2000 support, but I did not have the time. I'm currently using the values of the latest Platform SDK which specifies a structure size (of NOTIFYICONDATA) that is only recognized by Windows XP. I must lower it to the structure size (=structure version) that was introduced with Windows Me. Then it should work.

Oh god! I though no one used NxS Balloon tip anyway since most people agree that shaneh's Toaster plugin is much better. And there are a couple of other Winamp plugins that offer a Song Change Notification feature as a bonus:
http://winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=142180
http://winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=143176
Old 15th February 2005, 09:37   #59
Cianca

Quote:
Windows XP is based on Windows 2000 SP4 (or whatever the lates Service Pack was) and so means It has all the bug fixes made for Windows 2000. When you add WinXP SP2 you should search long for a more stable OS. Maybe you wait for Longhorn??

I may work on Windows 2000 support, but I did not have the time. I'm currently using the values of the latest Platform SDK which specifies a structure size (of NOTIFYICONDATA) that is only recognized by Windows XP. I must lower it to the structure size (=structure version) that was introduced with Windows Me. Then it should work.

Oh god! I though no one used NxS Balloon tip anyway since most people agree that shaneh's Toaster plugin is much better. And there are a couple of other Winamp plugins that offer a Song Change Notification feature as a bonus:
http://winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=142180
http://winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=143176
nono Saivert your plugin is great!!!

I use this because i LoVe ballons ahah

...please correct the slow down bug!!!

thanx

Old 15th February 2005, 14:40   #60
saivert
Banned

Mm.. thanks. This inspires me to work on it more... He he
Old 21st February 2005, 22:54   #61
n2jtx

Send a message via AIM to n2jtx
This is the function I use to get the Shell version. If it returns "5", then balloon tips are supported on the platform.

DWORD GetShellMajorVersion(VOID)
{
HMODULE hModule = LoadLibrary("SHELL32.DLL");
typedef HRESULT (CALLBACK *DLLGETVERSION) (DLLVERSIONINFO *);
DLLGETVERSION DllGetVersion = NULL;
DLLVERSIONINFO dvi;

ZeroMemory(&dvi,sizeof(DLLVERSIONINFO));
dvi.cbSize = sizeof(DLLVERSIONINFO);
DllGetVersion =
(DLLGETVERSION) GetProcAddress(hModule, (LPCSTR) "DllGetVersion");
if (DllGetVersion) DllGetVersion(&dvi);
FreeLibrary(hModule);
CloseHandle(hModule);
return(dvi.dwMajorVersion);
}
n2jtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2005, 09:12   #62
saivert
Banned

New version!

Thanks! I have already done this the previous week (I had winter vacation for one week). The new version of NxS Balloon Tip is uploaded here:

http://www.inthegray.com/saivert/win...balloontip.exe

Also download NxS Office XP menus for Winamp. A plugin that skins Winamp's popup menus. It does not work well with Modern Skins yet, but doesn't crash at least.
Here it is:

http://www.inthegray.com/saivert/win...enus_Setup.exe

Last edited by saivert; 28th February 2005 at 09:35.
Old 16th July 2005, 00:14   #63
saivert
Banned

New version of NxS Balloon Tip is out!

Good night, day, whatever!

Version 2.8 of my plug-in is now out in the wild. It should have been accepted by Winamp.com at this time, but if you still get the old version (2.79) get it here:

nxsballoontip.exe 215KB

New features:
* MSN Messenger "I'm listening to" support. You now longer have to depend on other plug-ins for this feature.
* More HTTP stream title fixes.
* Recompiled with MS Visual Studio .NET 2003. Requires C Runtime 7.1 installed. Should be faster.
* Fixed delays when using the option "Use Winamp's tray icon" was enabled.

PS! inthegray (Eric Caioli) who was kind enough to give me server space over at inthegray.com has decided to terminate his account. inthegray.com will be offline within three months. That's why the plug-in above is located on home.no.net server where I have created a new homepage account.
Old 19th July 2005, 09:08   #64
Cianca

Re: New version of NxS Balloon Tip is out!

Quote:
Good night, day, whatever!

Version 2.8 of my plug-in is now out in the wild. It should have been accepted by Winamp.com at this time, but if you still get the old version (2.79) get it here:

nxsballoontip.exe 215KB

New features:
* MSN Messenger "I'm listening to" support. You now longer have to depend on other plug-ins for this feature.
* More HTTP stream title fixes.
* Recompiled with MS Visual Studio .NET 2003. Requires C Runtime 7.1 installed. Should be faster.
* Fixed delays when using the option "Use Winamp's tray icon" was enabled.

PS! inthegray (Eric Caioli) who was kind enough to give me server space over at inthegray.com has decided to terminate his account. inthegray.com will be offline within three months. That's why the plug-in above is located on home.no.net server where I have created a new homepage account.
<3

Old 20th July 2005, 06:15   #65
saivert
Banned

Happy to see someone appreciate the latest update. I will try to work more on my plug-ins now. I still have to fix up something with the NxS Big Clock plug-in and the NxS XFade control plug-in. I don't know what I should do with the NxS Thinger plug-in yet.
Old 20th July 2005, 09:27   #66
Cianca

Quote:
I don't know what I should do with the NxS Thinger plug-in yet.
Maybe make coffee?

Old 20th July 2005, 15:45   #67
saivert
Banned

@Cianca: He he he.. You are so funny! I will make coffee but what then??

I'm also working on stuff for NSIS as you can see here:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=220949
Old 20th July 2005, 16:13   #68
Cianca

:P

in my opinion all of your plugins works very well i don't know what you should do to improve them

i'll think it

Old 20th July 2005, 22:20   #69
saivert
Banned

@Cianca: You are too kind!

Currently I have not created a new topic for the NxS XFade control, but I will do so when releasing the next version of it. I'm planning a feature where the XFade control will turn off the crossfading for the next song if it is shorter than 10 seconds (or any other duration for that matter). That way you can listen to short audio clips without them being truncated by the fading.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Developer Center > Winamp Development