Old 6th March 2013, 23:07   #1
FBM

no reception RTV Raalte

Hello

Via my Squeezebox Duet I"m a regular listener to a local radio station: www.rtvraalte.nl Since they (physically) moved the studio to another place I can't receive the station anymore. Sometimes I get the message the receiver doesn't recognise the stream, most of the time the connection "is timed out".

The funny thing is that listening to the station is possible via my computer using windows media player, real audio player, winamp. The received stream is then called either stream.m3u or stream.asx.
Many other local or regional radiostations I do receive, the received stream is MP3 or WMA then.

I contacted the technical guys that run the station but they don't know what's wrong or how to fix this problem.

I do know they are using the shoutcaststream but at this moment I don't have further technical details. On the shoutcaststream.com website RTV Raalte is not recognised.

Any person who knows the answer to this problem, has any clue where to find it. The answers I will send through (after translation) to the technical guys.

Thank you and greetings from Holland

Frank
FBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2013, 07:20   #2
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
do u set your squeezebox to directly connect to the station, or do you have the server running and setup to "proxy" the stream to your duet?

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2013, 10:00   #3
FBM

Radio Raalte

Thank you Mr Sinatra. My Squeezebox is directly tuned in to this and many other stations, not via a proxy setting. I don't know if the server's setup is running to work via proxy. I will ask these guys.
Old 9th March 2013, 10:02   #4
MrSinatra
Forum King

uh, ask who what?

you control your SB server, and you control if it proxies webstreams to the duet or not. its a pref you control.

--
Old 9th March 2013, 17:28   #5
ujay
Forum King

Not familiar with Squeezebox, so here's some info that may/may not help.

There are a couple of ways to deliver radio on the web.

First is as a pre-recorded file that is accessed just like any other file on the web, these usually look like 'station name.mp3. other common streaming file types are .wma .aac .ogg etc.

Second are live broadcasts, these are usually accessed via a playlist(.m3u .pls .asx) that contains the direct link to the broadcast server.

In your case the playlist is : http://rtvraalte.shoutcaststream.com/stream.m3u
the direct link is : http://62.75.228.171:8102

Do you need to update this info in SB after the station move, most likely they have changed broadcast servers as well.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2013, 20:50   #6
MrSinatra
Forum King

squeezebox makes great hardware, (or used to), and shit software (always). in my exp with it tho, i found it was never good/robust at getting the hardware to tune into a live stream directly, and that you had to force the squeeze-server to proxy the stream to the hardware, to get any kind of decent playback, as well as max the buffer settings.

--
Old 11th March 2013, 10:29   #7
FBM

no reception RTV Raalte

Mr Sinatra and ujay, thank you for the time you take to help me.

First a short explanation to ujay: I use the Squeezebox duet, which consists of a receiver next to my amplifier and a remote control with a screen showing all kind of info. They are both connected by WIFI.

By using "search" I tried both http:// addresses/links in the squeezebox but could not find the station, not even in the Shoutcast directory. Also on this site the station is not mentioned, which is a strange thing I think.
If I search under local stations I do find the RTV Raalte logo, but there is no audio signal.

About using a proxy: in the mysqueezebox.com menu there is a possibility to surf via proxy, I did not fill in this until now. I doubt if that is the problem: nearly 95% of the stations (among them the national networks, many local, regional and far-away) give a good, nearly always undisturbed signal. If I'm looking at the broadcasted info the majority of these stations give a .MP3 signal and a few a .WMA signal. The stations I cann't listen to give a .m3u sign.
Of what I understand .m3u files are basically textfiles that refer to the music files. I don't know how exactly how it comes that my computer can work with these .m3u files and my squeezebox doesn't do that.

The technical guys gave me some information: they use Simplecast as an AD converting program and the signal is delivered to shoutcaststream.

Thanks again
Old 11th March 2013, 11:05   #8
FBM

I've seen the screenshots: Simplecast is making a .MP3 stream, bitrate 128 kb/s, samplerate 44,100 kHz
Old 11th March 2013, 21:11   #9
MrSinatra
Forum King

the point of the proxy in the SBserver is precisely to handle those streams (and buffer) that the hardware is having a difficult time with.

--
Old 15th March 2013, 15:38   #10
FBM

Thanks again Mr Sinatra

I never worked with a proxy before, but I saw there is a possibility to proxy in mysqueezebox.com.

HTTP-proxy (xx.xx.xx.xx:yyyy):

Als je netwerk het gebruik van een HTTP-proxyserver vereist, voer je die hier in. Alle audioverbindingen worden via de proxyserver gemaakt. Gebruik de indeling xx.xx.xx.xx:yyyy waarbij xx.xx.xx.xx het IP-adres van de proxy is, en yyyy het poortnummer. Laat dit veld leeg als je geen proxy hoeft te gebruiken.

As I am a dummy at this point I first have to discover which figures I have to use here. Do I use the I.P. address of my fibre modem or of the router? Next week I will have it a go.

Anyway if it works all webradio listeners to Radio Raalte will have this problem, while >95% of the broadcasting stations are to be listened to without proxy.

Frank
Old 15th March 2013, 15:44   #11
MrSinatra
Forum King

ok, don't get confused here. the word proxy can have a lot of meanings. some connections to the internet itself are via proxy and are NOT what i am talking about.

if you poke around in the squeezebox server settings, you will find a pref that talks specifically about the server "proxying" radio webstreams to the hardware instead of the hardware taking it direct. thats what you want.

it has NOTHING to do with squeeze network (mysb.com) or internet proxies.

--
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion