Old 24th January 2012, 09:51   #3321
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
We don't really have any Mexicans
I could send you a hundred thousand if you wanted.
Old 27th January 2012, 21:57   #3322
fc*uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingdjted View Post
I just made a giant batch of something too, but it's nothing new for me. Chili yet again. This time it isn't real hot; I can't seem to find fresh peppers anywhere around here except green bell peppers, jalapenos, and banana peppers. Nothing else is for sale in this town; not even any other kind of chili peppers!
Thought about switching to dried peppers?

Get em off amazon. Better than fresh; they never go bad.
Old 27th January 2012, 22:33   #3323
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
For my situation that might just be the best option, although I'll miss the fleshy texture that I normally enjoy.

Don't forget to live before you die.
Old 27th January 2012, 22:49   #3324
rockouthippie
Banned

Grow some. Put em' in a bucket. When it gets cold bring them inside. They'll keep going. I had fresh mucho nacho peppers until last month. They freeze for a year no prob.

Peppers are sorta hard to kill. I always do a couple buckets even if I don't garden.
Old 28th January 2012, 04:07   #3325
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

There was a time when I used to do that a lot. I should probably get back into it. I even made my own home made salsa with all home-grown ingredients, using a hot-water-bath canner.

Old 28th January 2012, 04:11   #3326
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
Me and a friend bought a WWII surplus Mosin-Nagant M91/30 ($110 each), both covered with cosmoline for storage. I have a feeling I'm going to hate cosmoline.

Any tips for EASILY removing this shit?

Going up to his place Monday night if my work schedule works out. Will get pics of them then.

[edit] To clarify: we each bought a Mosin. They were $110 each. They have the sling, bayonet, and ammo pouch.

Old 28th January 2012, 04:28   #3327
fc*uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingdjted View Post
There was a time when I used to do that a lot. I should probably get back into it. I even made my own home made salsa with all home-grown ingredients, using a hot-water-bath canner.
I dunno. I've had odd luck with peppers in Michigan. I've tried bell, cayenne, banana, and habanero. Bells sucked (maybe one a year); banana took off once (15 or so peppers one year; aside from that one to three per year); cayenne is solid year after year; habanero never once happened.

Maybe I was doing something wrong, but shit if I knew what it was.

Looking forawrd to Florida where I ought to be able to grow any pepper I want year round. I love spicy food and Latin America food. Peppers are a necessity for me.

Remind me to post my pepper pot soup recipe. If you can eat it, kudos to you
Old 28th January 2012, 07:30   #3328
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ4 Gogitta View Post
Me and a friend bought a WWII surplus Mosin-Nagant M91/30 ($110 each), both covered with cosmoline
It's wax. Get a pot with some boiling water and hold the stuff in the steam. It'll melt. Wipe it off with a rag. It takes a while, but no big.

These days you might want to use a steam cleaner if you have one.
Old 29th January 2012, 05:19   #3329
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
Replacement Klein screwdrivers, cutters and pliers from when my tools got stolen while on vacation. I had been using a PCI slot cover as a screwdriver for far too long.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
Old 29th January 2012, 05:55   #3330
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_rock923 View Post
PCI slot cover as a screwdriver

Also good for chisels and if you angle it just right, a knife of sorts, eh?

Old 29th January 2012, 06:02   #3331
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Gets the job done, but works way better on flat head than phillips!

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
Old 29th January 2012, 21:41   #3332
rockouthippie
Banned

The last thing I bought of any consequence is a Kindle Fire. I didn't say anything about it because I didn't know if I was gonna like it. I do.

Every bad thing you read about it... no camera... gps... low storage.. no mic. All 100% true.

I still like it.... and you guys know I'm an old grump.

I'm not gonna compare it to an ipad because I'm way too cheap to even think about an ipad. It is what it is and that's a fun little tablet. You won't be flashing it with regular Android although you could. It's fine the way it is.

One thing I thought was cheesy. You actually have to give Amazon a credit card number to load free apps. If you ask me, that's pushing the envelope a little.

You will want to load the Maxthon browser from the Kindle store and turn off Amazons silk proxy. Now you have a perfectly good Android tablet. You may want to sideload Firefox (fennec) so that you can sync Firefox.

Bravo Amazon.
Old 29th January 2012, 22:10   #3333
fc*uk

As long as you are happy with it.

Personally, as I have said before, in iPad sucks for reading books.
Old 29th January 2012, 22:24   #3334
rockouthippie
Banned

My old eyes are finding it easier than paper. I took someones advise around here and have been reading white on black. I wish that was amber or green on black. I think an ipad is a little more clumsy reading in bed because it's bigger but not much heavier. I think the 7" format is cool because you can get this in a coat pocket.

I may still get an e-ink reader.
Old 29th January 2012, 22:41   #3335
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

For some reason, I still like buying physical books. I love having shelves of them in my office and holding it while reading it.

On the other hand, I hate how much room it takes in my bag.

Old 29th January 2012, 23:38   #3336
fc*uk

bah ... too many boxes and boxes of books for me. Must go digital.

The only physical book a buy anymore are cookbooks, which are also growing absurd in number. I try to cut down on it wit the touch screen computer setup I have, but it's hard...
Old 30th January 2012, 00:56   #3337
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to mike-db
Lots of thick ass rope, I've got a boat to wrangle.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old 30th January 2012, 07:07   #3338
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Quote:
Originally Posted by fc*uk View Post
As long as you are happy with it.

Personally, as I have said before, in iPad sucks for reading books.
Having read about 150 books on one, I have to disagree.

Old 30th January 2012, 08:02   #3339
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

One thing that books got over ipads.... Paper, I love reading a real book.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old 30th January 2012, 08:26   #3340
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

I don't anymore.

Old 30th January 2012, 08:58   #3341
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Couple hundred books a year can do that to people.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old 30th January 2012, 11:31   #3342
rockouthippie
Banned

I've read a couple books on the thing. It seems ok. I think it's as good as reading paper and better than paper if you don't have the right lighting. I like not fiddling with the pages.

I would have to give this screen kudos. It's at least as readable as an ipad. I think the 7" form factor is handy. If it were one bit smaller though........

It's not an ipad in any way, shape or form. It is a handy little book reader, tablet computer. It's fun. And I don't think you need to root it. Amazon doesn't have all the apps in the android market. It also doesn't have a lot of the crap that's in the android market.
Old 31st January 2012, 01:26   #3343
fc*uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ4 Gogitta View Post
Having read about 150 books on one, I have to disagree.
You have clearly never read a book on it outside on a sunny day.

If you want to have a real gas, put on a pair of polarized sunglasses and look at your nice black screen.
Old 31st January 2012, 08:31   #3344
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
I've heard that argument, but I generally don't read in direct sunlight anyway. It's not all that comfortable reading paper in the super bright. The screen on this thing is really bright. It is a little glossy. An ipad is better that way.

This is way brighter than my laptop. I think you could see this in most conditions you'd be likely to use it in. Nothing stops a guy from buying a paper book for the beach.
Old 31st January 2012, 14:56   #3345
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc*uk View Post

If you want to have a real gas, put on a pair of polarized sunglasses and look at your nice black screen.
Given that I work the night shift... what's this "sun" thing you speak of?

Old 31st January 2012, 22:43   #3346
fc*uk

Well, yes that does explain why you would have never encountered such a problem.

I will agree with you that if you never need to read it in the sun, then it's great. However, the second it goes into the sun it starts to wind up short.
Old 3rd February 2012, 12:21   #3347
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

I love real paper books ...the smell, the feel....all of it. ♥
Old 3rd February 2012, 21:13   #3348
rockouthippie
Banned

and the paper cuts?
Old 4th February 2012, 16:06   #3349
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
The last thing I bought that is noteworthy is a Kindle Fire. I did NOT keep the stock stuff in it. I rooted it and put Cyanogenmod 7 on it(took a lot longer than it should have because of lack of rooting tools/info).

There is no sig.
Old 5th February 2012, 00:15   #3350
rockouthippie
Banned

I did that too and then I un-rooted it. I didn't find a compelling reason to run custom firmware. Is there something super-neat I am missing?

The Amazon store has less stuff than the Android market..... it's picky... that isn't altogether a bad thing.

The Maxthon browser overcomes the problem with silk. Silk does have problems. Fennec (firefox) isn't very robust, but it will sync firefox for all your passwords, bookmarks and stuff. That you can side load. Flash doesn't work with fennec..... not a problem for most stuff.

I wish it had Chrome sync, but that was the only reason I would consider rooting. It didn't seem like a reason that was worth it.

I'm not against rooting things, but I really didn't find a reason.

An email to a couple developers for a couple things I wanted that weren't in the Amazon store..... they sent me apk files. The Android market has a LOT of stuff that doesn't work with the Kindle whether you root it or not.

The "carousel" is ugly. It's also really handy. I think it's handier than the standard Android interface.
Old 5th February 2012, 06:50   #3351
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
I watch a lot of videos(downloaded avi/mkv) and stock doesn't let me watch my videos easily. Rooting it and putting other software on it was a lot easier for me. I don't read much and I like to learn how to do things like this. Plus the majority of apps I use aren't on the Amazon marketplace.

There is no sig.
Old 5th February 2012, 09:17   #3352
rockouthippie
Banned

There are a couple players you could probably sideload rather than rooting. I think time will cure most of the deficiencies in the Amazon store. I have been tempted to see if I could score a cheap android phone just so I could pull stuff out of the Android store to sideload.

I was trying to get the Android SDK emulator to use the Android market, but no luck so far. I'll probably take another whack at it soon.
Old 6th February 2012, 16:39   #3353
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

My Mosin-Nagant:

Looks like it was a Dragoon model stamped 1926 (re-stamped to 7. Maybe Yuri was drunk that day) that was later updated to the M91/30 standard.

Old 6th February 2012, 20:26   #3354
rockouthippie
Banned

I had one of those for a while. In the "lingo" what you have is an "ex-dragoon". It was probably manufactured in the 30's from dragoon parts. The barrel has probably been re-milled to make it shorter. It's a decent rifle.

If there are armory marks on the stock, it's more valuable. This is likely (cosmetically) a much better gun than those manufactured during WWII. The Russians got in a hurry when the Germans came calling. Mine was like that.

If you ever find one with a big S stamped on it, it's an ex-sniper rifle. It would be considered desirable.

--------

What I bought.... Ram is so cheap... 16 GB of RAM plus Windows 7 - 64. I put my paging file in a 4GB ramdisk. We be cooking with gas now.

16GB of ram seems to change the way you use a computer. You never have to close anything, you just leave it running and pop another screen.

I really gotta do something about the hard disk. I'm running a couple of Seagate 1TB drives in a RAID0, but it's still kinda slow (90MBps). An SSD is roughly double that. 2 SSD's in a RAID would be about right. I see 30GB ones for about $100 (Intel).

Anybody got any input?

Last edited by rockouthippie; 6th February 2012 at 22:21.
Old 6th February 2012, 23:19   #3355
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

I recently purchased an Intel SSD (along with 16 gigs of RAM as well) and I have no complaints so far. I dual boot with Arch on the SSD and Windows on some el-cheapo drive and the difference is night and day.

Old 6th February 2012, 23:28   #3356
neralex
Major Dude

...listen a loop..again and again
Old 7th February 2012, 01:59   #3357
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I've had 16GB since 2008, and the only time I go above maybe 7 is when I use a RAMdisc for rendering or when I run virtual machine(s). The main reason I bought so much RAM at the time was for RAMdisc usage. It was over a hundred dollars per 4-gig stick at the time.

Old 7th February 2012, 04:18   #3358
rockouthippie
Banned

Yeah, when I built this machine a couple years ago, it was more than $100 for 4G. Today 16G was less than $100.

You might want to try using ram for your paging file. Dataram makes a free ramdisk that will use 4GB. Even with a gob of memory windows uses the swap file. The hard drives are almost cold.

I was thinking about buying the licensed version of the ram disk. Moving temporary internet files to RAM would probably be a good idea too.

I was running Vista 32 on this machine with 4GB. The difference is night and day. This is with a 4GB virtualbox running Ubuntu 11.10 and a lamp server (debian) with 512M. You'd never notice it is virtual.

It's actually practical to have virtual machines running while a guy goes about his normal activities. 6 cores don't hurt.

Another thing I noticed since the ram disk is that cpu scaling gives me a lot slower clocks. Look at the thing running @ 800 Mhz. It does that a lot now. The hard disks are a lot cooler. I need a fan controller that has off as an option. Quieting down this wind tunnel is not gonna hurt my feelings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cpumon.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	49437  
Old 7th February 2012, 09:19   #3359
Roob

I bought a huge tv

I will be visiting India this year to get a hair transplant in Mumbai.
Old 7th February 2012, 10:04   #3360
stopasking
Banned

well the last thing I bought was some gold from here http://www.erepublik.com/en/referrer/bagotaitot ... i have a mission , join by clicking this link please http://www.erepublik.com/en/referrer/bagotaitot
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions