Old 26th January 2007, 05:19   #1
Triton4
Major Dude

California to ban spanking of kids

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070120/.../spanking_bill

California parents could face jail and a fine for spanking their young children under legislation a state lawmaker has promised to introduce next week.

Democratic Assemblywoman Sally Lieber said such a law is needed because spanking victimizes helpless children and breeds violence in society.

"I think it's pretty hard to argue you need to beat a child," Lieber said. "Is it OK to whip a 1-year-old or a 6-month-old or a newborn?"

Lieber said her proposal would make spanking, hitting and slapping a child under 4 years old a misdemeanor. Adults could face up to a year in jail and a $1,000 fine.

Aides to the assemblywoman said they are still working on a definition for spanking.

Some Republican lawmakers called the idea ridiculous. But Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said he may be receptive to it even though he has concerns about how the ban would be enforced.

The governor said he and his wife, Maria Shriver, did not spank their four children and used alternative methods for discipline. For example, Schwarzenegger said they found it more effective to threaten to take away their children's play time if they didn't do school work.

"They hate that much more than getting spanked," he told reporters Friday in Los Angeles.

California law permits spanking by parents unless the degree of force is excessive or not appropriate for the child's age.
Triton4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2007, 06:30   #2
Omega X
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Omega X Send a message via Yahoo to Omega X
Under 4?!

I understand newborn to at least 2 years. But then they get to be 3, the will try to test what they can and can't do.
Omega X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2007, 14:57   #3
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

As long as i can still spank 18 and 19 year olds, all is good.

"Which is worse, ignorance or indifference?"

"I don't know, and I don't care."
watadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2007, 15:59   #4
papadoc
Comfortably Numb
(Forum King)

I just hope they never ban spanking the monkey
papadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2007, 01:35   #5
rockouthippie
Banned

So we needed another law?. I think parents should have ultimate control over how they raise their children. The government has no business in our homes.

People that want complete non violence are usually people that everyone wants to slap upside the head.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2007, 05:02   #6
sgtfuzzbubble011

You've GOT to be kidding me...
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2007, 00:22   #7
ertmann|CPH
Forum Viking
(Forum King)

that was banned here in... like... 1962
ertmann|CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2007, 16:35   #8
xzxzzx
Forum King

Spanking is absurd.

Someone training a dog the same way would be called "cruel", and yet humans don't even need to be "trained". We have language.

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
The DMCA. It really is that bad. : Count for your life.
xzxzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2007, 17:26   #9
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by xzxzzx
Someone training a dog the same way would be called "cruel", and yet humans don't even need to be "trained". We have language.
Not until you beat it into 'em!

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2007, 20:07   #10
Omega X
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Omega X Send a message via Yahoo to Omega X
Quote:
Originally posted by xzxzzx
Spanking is absurd.

Yay!

Passive Aggression FTW!
Omega X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2007, 21:07   #11
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by ertmann|CPH
that was banned here in... like... 1962
Same here.
Maybe not in 1962, but still..

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2007, 15:03   #12
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Omega X
Passive Aggression FTW!
Eh?

Yes, passive-aggressive behavior is a common result of corporal punishment. Did I miss something?

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
The DMCA. It really is that bad. : Count for your life.
xzxzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2007, 03:34   #13
mrd00d
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to mrd00d
Slapping a hand is sometimes in order to get a child to understand what they are doing is wrong. But I hardly think it takes until 4 for them to understand with a light spank that something is wrong.

This Sally Lieber bitch is probably a damned lesbian who is pissed about not being able to adopt a kid with her hairy man-beast partner equipped with a bad attitude and a vagina.

Geezus, let's all go vote for Hilary Clinton!

*spittoons*

----update

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sally_J._Lieber

I told ya she was a dyke! LMFAO! People who can't HAVE kids should not be telling the 'breeders' how to raise them. Holy shit...let's get a law going that we have to 'accept our children's sexuality' and not be upset by poor choices next. That way Billy can date boys and Sally can get a butch g/f and then smoke moonajuana until she loses enough brain cells to vote for Hilary! Yeehaaa!

Hell even my Wife said 'I will not vote for ANY woman who hasn't gone through menopause!'.

HAHA!

Quote:
Lieber was instrumental in achieving passage of an increase in the state minimum wage, a green house gas reduction bill, and a legalization of gay marriage (though that bill was later vetoed by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger).
mrd00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2007, 03:36   #14
mrd00d
Banned

Oh by the way..how many of you people have kids in here?

And I don't mean how many of you are dating kids, just to be clear.

Hahah!
Old 2nd February 2007, 17:20   #15
gameplaya15143
Major Dude

Re: California to ban spanking of kids

Quote:
Originally posted by Triton4
"I think it's pretty hard to argue you need to beat a child," Lieber said. "Is it OK to whip a 1-year-old or a 6-month-old or a newborn?"
There are aready laws against child abuse. Beating and whipping is abuse, spanking is disiplin.

Just another useless law suggested by a useless politition.

Stop wasting tax payer dollars with your ignorance!
gameplaya15143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2007, 20:05   #16
mrd00d
Banned

I guess they should outlaw using stunguns to discipline your child and add an addendum for putting your kid in a microwave too as a form of punishment. You know what might solve many of these problem and protect many children? I think the state you live in should issue a 'license to breed' if you are too stupid to pass a simple test on how to raise a child and what might be inappropriate ways to discipline, you should not have the right to reproduce.

See you on capital hill...I will be trying to pass this bill ASAP.
Old 8th February 2007, 04:50   #17
MegaRock
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to MegaRock Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRock
Quote:
victimizes helpless children and breeds violence in society.
So long as you can still bitchslap teenagers and restrain them with ducttape then we're still safe.

Megarock Radio - St. Louis Since 1998!
Tune In Now!
Corporate Radio Sucks! No suits, all rock!
MegaRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2007, 22:02   #18
mrd00d
Banned

I think certain Californians need to be able to actually reproduce before they start lobbying laws about raising children. I dunno...maybe I am being silly. But I am not calling a burger king employee to fix my plumbing and I am not going to hire someone who paints for a living to fix my computer.
Old 9th February 2007, 22:16   #19
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

I told ya she was a dyke! LMFAO! People who can't HAVE kids should not be telling the 'breeders' how to raise them

Huh? Lesbian can have kids, and do so all the time. You see, actually lesbians are sekritly women!!!!! And womanly parts function regarless of what gets their motor running.

Is it just me or are the frootbats on Winamp growing in ever greater numbers. Maybe I'm just unlucky.

Old 9th February 2007, 22:21   #20
mrd00d
Banned

Lesbians needs male parts to actually produce a child.

Ya know what watadoo, I am not going to explain this to you. Go call your Mom and ask about 'the birds and the bees'.

Hahaha
Old 9th February 2007, 22:28   #21
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

Don't be an ass. Sperm donars and sperm banks have been a part of scientific technology for decades and decades.

Old 9th February 2007, 22:53   #22
LuigiHann
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to LuigiHann
If a gay man has a wife/girlfriend, they call her a "beard." What would they call a lesbian's husband?

Who is the milkman? What is the purpose of the goggles?
LuigiHann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2007, 23:00   #23
mrd00d
Banned

Ok, watadoo...you missed my point. I am saying if you can't MAKE one you shouldn't be telling me how to raise one. This is the dumbest law ever. Abuse is different than discipline involving spanking. I mean...get real. Next thing you know telling a kid they need 'time out' will be twisted into child abuse. It's a worthless ridiculous idea. If you are spanking your kid more than once or twice to discipline then it's already abuse, and it doesn't matter if I am slapping a kid with cheese or with my hand. The point I am making is that this law is outright retarded. How many kids have you heard of have been killed by a spanking? It's a *&%$ing spanking...it's not like someone is breaking bones or causing a kid to lose extremities or something. It's a damned spanking, honestly I can believe half of these dipshit laws are taken serious for one second.
Old 9th February 2007, 23:14   #24
Schmeet
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by mrd00d
Oit's not like someone is breaking bones or causing a kid to lose extremities or something.
Ah, well, that's the danger you see. If a parent is angry or frustrated with their child then they can't think about how much force they're applying.

Using alternative methods to discipline a child is a lot more effecient than hitting them.
Schmeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2007, 23:29   #25
mrd00d
Banned

Quote:
Ah, well, that's the danger you see. If a parent is angry or frustrated with their child then they can't think about how much force they're applying.
See if people would vote for me for President, my 'right to bear children' law would make it mandatory for people to take a test before they could legally reproduce. Much like taking a test for a drivers license. You would need a 'breeder's license'. This way if you are too stupid to control yourself or your anger you wouldn't be able to be a parent in the first place.

I am not condoning violence towards children or saying that spanking is the answer to teaching your children how to behave by any means. I don't make it a habit or a practice to hit kids if you can avoid it. But a law like this one would make it so a child can go around punching people and not be held responsible until what 18 years of age, and it would be illegal to hit them back. That's totally assinine. If you are already unable to control your temper chances are you shouldn't be a parent.

It's very easy to be offering parental advice when you aren't a parental figure yourself. Have a kid...then when they punch you in the face repeatedly and you can't 'spank' them to show them you are in charge, then I guess your kid will run the house. Kick ass...I hope you live in california my friend.
Old 9th February 2007, 23:46   #26
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Lesbians needs male parts to actually produce a child.

Ya know what watadoo, I am not going to explain this to you. Go call your Mom and ask about 'the birds and the bees'.

Hahaha
That's enough of that crap.

I'll give you this single warning about trolling. The next time, you're gone and don't even bother PMing me or explaining "your side" on this one.
Watadoo used to run these forums, as in chief admin, and deserves a hell of a lot more respect than you're giving.
And while we're at it:

Quote:
Post Pumping
- If a post is suspected to serve no other purpose than to increase the post count of the poster, then the moderators may, at their discretion, issue a PM to the member in question enquiring about the nature of the post. Posts/Threads that are blatantly post pumping will be removed/locked without recourse to the poster.
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2007, 00:01   #27
mrd00d
Banned

Who is post pumping? I don't care about 'rank' or what is next to my name. If it said 'horses ass' I could care less. I was also teasing watadoo because I run into him all the time, and know that he is always the devil's advocate. It was never meant to be disrespectful, it was meant to be funny. I wasn't trolling either. I don't care if anyone responds I am simply posting my opinion.

I actually think watadoo is pretty funny. Should I have included a smiley face to explain I was joking around or what?

The birds and bees thing was me kidding around with him. I got his point that lesbians can bear children because they are women, but I meant they need a male or sperm to create the child in the first place.
Old 10th February 2007, 00:02   #28
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
I hope you live in california my friend.
Just Oregon, but it's been Californicated.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2007, 00:04   #29
mrd00d
Banned

Didn't california ban smoking in bars first and now a bunch of state's are following suit? They make all the crazy laws first, don't they?
Old 10th February 2007, 00:13   #30
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Who is post pumping?
Old 10th February 2007, 00:27   #31
mrd00d
Banned

So I am hyper, I have ADHD. It's friday. I am bored. I am reading everything, and responding. In a few minutes I will go home and I won't be on the forum at all. You might not see me back until 2 AM or so. I am also posting on KSL message boards and quite a few others. I type fast...and I think fast. I was serious when I said I didn't care if it said 'horses ass' by my name. Is there a certain amount of posting one can do? In a certain time frame? I don't see how being 'all over the place' is post-pumping.

What do you want me to do to comply? Stop posting?
Old 10th February 2007, 00:27   #32
Schmeet
Major Dude

Quote:
mrd00d
This way if you are too stupid to control yourself or your anger you wouldn't be able to be a parent in the first place.
That's silly because a person has to be angry in the first place to spank a child.

Quote:
mrd00d
But a law like this one would make it so a child can go around punching people and not be held responsible until what 18 years of age.
Ha, how you came to that conclusion I will never know. Sounds like you'd be a Daily Mail reader if you lived over here.

Quote:
mrd00d
It's very easy to be offering parental advice when you aren't a parental figure yourself. Have a kid...then when they punch you in the face repeatedly and you can't 'spank' them to show them you are in charge, then I guess your kid will run the house. Kick ass...I hope you live in california my friend.
As I said, there are lot more other ways to assert authority over a child than by hitting them.
Old 10th February 2007, 00:29   #33
mrd00d
Banned

Schmeet : Not really. I slap my childs hand to teach him I mean business when I am not upset in the slightest. I don't do it to hurt him, I do it to show him I mean business. When a child is too little to understand normal communication, sometimes you need to use other methods, like taking things away. Putting them in the crib for a while because they misbehaved. Etc etc...
Old 10th February 2007, 00:32   #34
Schmeet
Major Dude

Quote:
Schmeet : Not really. I slap my childs hand to teach him I mean business when I am not upset in the slightest. I don't do it to hurt him, I do it to show him I mean business.
That's entirely different to spanking a child though.

Quote:

When a child is too little to understand normal communication, sometimes you need to use other methods, like taking things away. Putting them in the crib for a while because they misbehaved. Etc etc...
Isn't that kind of like... my point?
Old 10th February 2007, 00:37   #35
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

what you need here, chev is vBulletin 3.03. It has the niftiest bozo filter ever invented --> tacky goes to coventry.

winamp should upgrade.

Old 10th February 2007, 00:38   #36
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

I have two boys who are excellent humans and I have never struck them except when giving boxing and self-defense lessons.

Old 10th February 2007, 00:51   #37
mrd00d
Banned

watadoo: So when they couldn't talk, you let them do whatever the hell they want? Did you call them bozos too? Because mental abuse is actually worse than physical abuse of any kind, ask any therapist. You totally contradicted yourself just now because you said you taught your kids martial arts. If you think that resorting to physical voilence is always out of line, why would you learn self defence? I studied martial arts as well and the reason why is because I know not all sitations can be resolved with asking someone to be nice. This kind of proves the point I am trying to make.

Schmeet : The point I am trying to make about spanking is that sometimes you have to resort to making a point with a slap of a hand or a spank to show the child they can't test the waters and keep hitting others themselves. I think using a belt or a switch is much worse than a slap on the behind to get the point across.

Last edited by mrd00d; 10th February 2007 at 01:13.
Old 10th February 2007, 01:01   #38
askvance

wow you took the words out of my mouth mrdood
oh ya same ip that means yes I work with mrdood
askvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2007, 01:29   #39
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally posted by watadoo
what you need here, chev is vBulletin 3.03. It has the niftiest bozo filter ever invented --> tacky goes to coventry.

winamp should upgrade.
We're working on it, my friend, but you know the powers-that-be
Old 10th February 2007, 08:34   #40
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

Quote:
Originally posted by Schmeet
That's silly because a person has to be angry in the first place to spank a child.
What? Are you serious?
The last thing you want to do to a kid is show or feel any sort of anger when spanking them.

Spanking is an exercise in physical humiliation and dominance, not pain and anger.
This is why having a kid cut their own switch or get their own ruler is effective: it's humiliating.

elevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladylevitateme
shakey_snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Breaking News