Old 8th August 2004, 03:56   #1
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
DSL Questions

I'm considering getting DSL access for my house (cheaper than cable) and I have a couple questions that you guys might be able to help me with. First, how does it really compare with cable? Is it a very large step down or is it still pretty good? Second, what's the deal with these DSL filter things? Do they have to go on every phone jack? I hope not because I have a phone on the kitchen wall and I don't know how I'd ever get one there.

If I end up going through with it, expect this thread to surface again when I try to get my linux computer and my windows computer to both work with this. I had enough problems just getting file/print sharing to work.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

-Matt

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2004, 04:03   #2
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
yea, a filter goes on all phone jacks in the house. i like DSL better because you can put it in any room in the house that has a phone jack with DSL going through the line.

There is no sig.
deeder7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2004, 04:07   #3
DuaneJeffers
Major Dude

Well, I have cable (through Comcast) and I am getting 3.0MBps down for something like 35-40 bucks a month. I like.

Most of my friends have DSL (cheaper for them as well) and yes, there are filters required for the phones. They are somewhat small, so you won't notice them if you hide them well.

There are 2 things I dislike about cable. 1) If your cable company is working on updating their network, you will lose your connection. Usually, this happens at night and most normal people would not notice, but I have been up when the internet was cut and I could never go to sleep. 2) MOST of the time, they don't like High-Volume servers running on their network. Since cable is a "shared-network" with other homes in the neighborhood, They think that it will take away bandwidth. I have never been cut after running a CS server for me and 5 others, but higher than that connecting, they may cap your bandwidth.

Also, invest in a router ... (said here before, but just reiterating). DLink makes an awesome 30 dollar router that is completely tweakable and by default runs with security settings on Super-High.

-Duane

Website

Yeah, that's pretty much it. :-\
DuaneJeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2004, 04:23   #4
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

get whatevers faster depending on what you can afford.
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2004, 04:28   #5
protegechris
Forum Queen

I don't get this. Everyone in my town keeps telling me to get cable.

for 40 a month with ADSL you get:
384/128

for same price cable, i get:
3000/300

And they keep telling me how much better our cable provider is than our dsl provider

yeah, i'm back.
protegechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2004, 04:31   #6
Rocker

Quote:
Originally posted by protegechris

384/128

3000/300

And they keep telling me how much better our cable provider is than our dsl provider
is that adsl company retarded?
Old 8th August 2004, 04:34   #7
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Are the filters very big? The problem is that one of my phones is mounted on a wall without much space around it. Is it small enough that I'd be able to just attatch it to the wall under the phone or do I need a table or something?

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
Old 8th August 2004, 04:41   #8
Rocker

mine are tiny. smaller than a matchbox.
they just sit on top of the wall mounted phone.
Old 8th August 2004, 05:42   #9
mikm
Major Dude

I set up SBC/Yahoo! DSL for my neighbors and it was a major pain in the ass, mainly because it was a PPPoE account and required logins and special configurations on all the computers :P. My cable connection is fast and only required me to plug it in.

powered by C₂H₅OH
mikm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2004, 05:48   #10
Rocker

cable connections have mac addresses.
adsl has PPPoE authorisation.

at least with adsl when you change your modem you don't have to ring the ISP to authorise the MAC address.... with adsl just edit the username and password.

my router is the only thing needed to authorise with a PPPoE service.

all the other computers connect to the router.

still. go with speed. who cares how you recieve the internet.
Old 8th August 2004, 05:55   #11
protegechris
Forum Queen

hm...

all my my ADSL requires is to plug in the modem, then plug in your computer and surf :-/

Something about the internet in those town is odd.

yeah, i'm back.
Old 8th August 2004, 10:53   #12
ctn|chrisw
Forum King

Some dsl modems will auth with your account for you (isp sets this up before sending the modem) so all you do is plug it in. Anyways, is cable web available there and if so, whos the provider? Look at reviews of the dsl provider AND the cable provider on www.dslr.net. Also, dsl is dependent on distance from the CO, cable doesnt have this distance limitation. If you are really far from the CO, cable is probably the best choice

Last edited by ctn|chrisw; 8th August 2004 at 13:31.
ctn|chrisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2004, 14:58   #13
cyu
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to cyu Send a message via Yahoo to cyu
Quote:
Originally posted by protegechris

384/128

3000/300

Wow what a dsl rip. Here, for 40 a month, you could either get 1500/256 adsl or 3000/512 cable. But for 5 bucks more a month, you can upgrade your dsl to 3000/512.
cyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2004, 17:38   #14
protegechris
Forum Queen

My house is about 3 blocks from my ADSL provider and 2 blocks from my cable company

www.valornet.com
Look at their phucked up expensive plans!

www.cableone.com
area code 75501

:S

yeah, i'm back.
Old 8th August 2004, 23:10   #15
Viper007Bond
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Viper007Bond Send a message via AIM to Viper007Bond Send a message via Yahoo to Viper007Bond
I like to be able to download and upload with no caps and no worries of my ISP turning my off for uploading too much, therefore I use DSL.

- Viper007Bond | Viper007Bond.com
Viper007Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2004, 23:12   #16
squakMix
wwwyzzerdd
(Forum King)

What DSL ISP gives you no caps?

edit:

Quote:
Originally posted by k_rock923
Are the filters very big? The problem is that one of my phones is mounted on a wall without much space around it. Is it small enough that I'd be able to just attatch it to the wall under the phone or do I need a table or something?
My dsl Modem and stuff came with wall mounted phone filters, specifically designed for that type of phone.
squakMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2004, 02:05   #17
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Thanks squak. That's just what I meant

Old 9th August 2004, 04:28   #18
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Can someone explain the diferences between routers and switches? I want to connect my DSL connectino (which I have convinced my dad to order. . .) to both of my computers and to share file/printers between them at the same time. I know that I need a router to share the connection but are switched built in usually, or should I look for a router that specifically mentions having a built in switch?

Old 9th August 2004, 06:09   #19
dlichterman
Forum King

all you need is the modem connected to some sort of "cable/dsl" router, like the one thats on sale for 15 bucks at frys. Then just hook the RJ-45 into the router, plug in the comps or use wireless and set up the network with windows' wizzard. All you have to do then is go to ur printer, right click, sharing, and check the boxes. when you go to add them then select network printer

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free.-*-If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0-*-Guess the band from pics game
dlichterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2004, 10:04   #20
ctn|chrisw
Forum King

Quote:
Can someone explain the diferences between routers and switches? I want to connect my DSL connectino (which I have convinced my dad to order. . .) to both of my computers and to share file/printers between them at the same time. I know that I need a router to share the connection but are switched built in usually, or should I look for a router that specifically mentions having a built in switch?
Routers have a control panel in it for changing settings. it has a port for the modem so you can connect to the web and it does dhcp for the internal pcs. A switch can only extend the network, it cant share a connection alone.
Most routers have a hub built in. just make it says 4 ports unless you need more.

Old 9th August 2004, 10:08   #21
mysterious_w
Forum King

This topic makes no sense to me at all.

mysterious_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2004, 12:56   #22
Viper007Bond
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Viper007Bond Send a message via AIM to Viper007Bond Send a message via Yahoo to Viper007Bond
Quote:
Originally posted by squakMix
[B]What DSL ISP gives you no caps?
I meant no GB/mo caps. I have a speed cap of 1.5mbit down, 896k up (not that I actually get that due to distance from my CO and shitty line quality).

Old 10th August 2004, 12:58   #23
Viper007Bond
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by ctn|chrisw
Routers have a control panel in it for changing settings. it has a port for the modem so you can connect to the web and it does dhcp for the internal pcs. A switch can only extend the network, it cant share a connection alone.
Most routers have a hub built in. just make it says 4 ports unless you need more.
A router is also more efficent doesn't a switch not act as a firewall, right?

A switch will send any data it gets to everything connected to it as it doesn't have stuff to specificly redirect packets where they need to go.

A router will only send packets where they need to go and not to the other things on the LAN AFAIK.

Old 10th August 2004, 13:30   #24
ctn|chrisw
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Viper007Bond
A router is also more efficent doesn't a switch not act as a firewall, right?

A switch will send any data it gets to everything connected to it as it doesn't have stuff to specificly redirect packets where they need to go.

A router will only send packets where they need to go and not to the other things on the LAN AFAIK.
no, a hub sends everything to every device. a switch only sends it where it needs to go. a Router is the main device that provides the lan with nat, ips, etc, and shares the connection. A switch and hub just add more ports or allow you to have an internal lan, but without a router or pc with ICS, you cant share the connection. Since most isps only give one ip, you would be breaking the tos by plugging the modem into a switch/hub, since each device would need to pull in a seperate public ip. the router will pull in one, and give private ips to all the devices connected to it.

Old 10th August 2004, 13:34   #25
Viper007Bond
Major Dude

Meh. :/

Old 10th August 2004, 13:36   #26
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

router it is then. I need to have an internal network so i guess i need one with a switch built in? I already have the network in fact. I use ICS to share my dial up connection. But some programs on the other comp don't like proxies so everything will be eaiser.

*awaiting dad to call verizon already. . .*

Old 10th August 2004, 13:38   #27
ctn|chrisw
Forum King

Quote:
router it is then. I need to have an internal network so i guess i need one with a switch built in? I already have the network in fact. I use ICS to share my dial up connection. But some programs on the other comp don't like proxies so everything will be eaiser.

*awaiting dad to call verizon already. . .*
I havent really seen any without it built in. Doesnt verizon give a free router after rebate with dsl?

Old 10th August 2004, 13:39   #28
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

maybe they do. i'll have to check that.

Old 10th August 2004, 13:47   #29
ctn|chrisw
Forum King

Quote:
maybe they do. i'll have to check that.
ah they charge $99 now for it and its a wireless one. You can pick up a decent wired router wayyy cheaper then that, and its a linksys ick.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions