Old 11th August 2004, 13:43   #1
Viper007Bond
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Viper007Bond Send a message via AIM to Viper007Bond Send a message via Yahoo to Viper007Bond
Virtual Memory

Is there anything wrong with like setting the min virtual memory size to like 2 MB? I have a GB of RAM and have no need for 2 gb's of space being reserved on my drive.

Not to mention I have my computer set to defrag both drives daily and the drive that hosts the file is a WD Raptor (10,000 RPM SATA), so it's not like it'd take a while to write to it.

Oh, now that I think of it though, it'd probably be better to put my VM on my larger drive which I use for files. That way if I actually managed to need it, it wouldn't lag my game or whatever as it'd be on a different drive, right?

Comments/suggestions please.

- Viper007Bond | Viper007Bond.com
Viper007Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2004, 06:10   #2
aFfLiCtEd
Major Dude

Assuming your OS is XP ... appears to be a controversial issue.
aFfLiCtEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2004, 07:00   #3
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Throw it in small partition at the start of the drive, or leave it and let windows manage it.

Putting it on a slower drive is likely to make things worse...even if that drive isnt used often. If you have 2 drives that are the same, then putting the page file on the drive that doesnt contain windows/programs etc. would be fine.

Swap file tweaks can make a noticable (although small) difference on low ram pc's. With 1gb, you wont be using the page file that much for average tasks and gaming.

BTW, defragging daily is a waste of time. Even once a week is overkill unless you're constantly deleting and writing lots of new files.
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2004, 07:08   #4
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
i defragged my computer about 3 times in less than an hour earlier.

There is no sig.
deeder7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2004, 10:13   #5
lostonline
Where am I?
(Major Dude)

Quote:
Originally posted by deeder7001
Now that is major overkill. I do mine about once a month usually and the difference in speed isn't enough to make it worth doing any more often.

Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.
--
Homer Simpson
lostonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2004, 10:19   #6
mysterious_w
Forum King

I've never defragged my PC, I tried to once, but after about 6 hours it was only 26% done and I got sick of it.

mysterious_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2004, 12:22   #7
hedge

Quote:
Originally posted by lostonline
Now that is major overkill. I do mine about once a month usually and the difference in speed isn't enough to make it worth doing any more often.
Not too mention you're probably reducing the potential lifetime of the hard drive with the read/ write hammering it recieves during defraggin.
hedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2004, 00:06   #8
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

i did that to my older hard drive. i got my new hard drive yesterday. i got bored and felt like doing a defrag while i was waiting for my hard drive to come.

There is no sig.
Old 13th August 2004, 00:37   #9
sgtfuzzbubble011

I usually reserve defragging for once every two weeks. Sometimes more, sometimes less.
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2004, 07:42   #10
Viper007Bond
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Viper007Bond Send a message via AIM to Viper007Bond Send a message via Yahoo to Viper007Bond
My computer is on 24/7 and the drives are always being used (download crap), so it's not a large deal to me. Not to mention, since I defrag so often, it has to move so little of stuff that I doubt it puts a large load on the HD.

As for the "slower" drive, it's a SATA as well, but only a 7200 RPM instead of a 10k one. So it's not really that slow.

But, I changed it to weekly for C: and bi-weekly for the big drive. Not a big deal on the large drive, but I need C: to be as fast as possible for quick load times and low lag.

- Viper007Bond | Viper007Bond.com
Viper007Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2004, 08:30   #11
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Read this: http://www.dansdata.com/sbs22.htm (scroll down todont defrag).

Try defragging once a month (or even once every 3-4 months like i do) and see if you 'notice' any difference.
Old 13th August 2004, 09:49   #12
General Geoff
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to General Geoff Send a message via AIM to General Geoff
Just disable your virtual memory altogether.

If you have a gig of RAM or more, you'll have plenty of physical memory to spare. Disabling virtual memory will eliminate the page file, which means ALL your applications and games will be loaded in physical memory, which is orders of magnitude faster than even a Raptor.

General Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2004, 10:44   #13
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by General Geoff
Just disable your virtual memory altogether.

If you have a gig of RAM or more, you'll have plenty of physical memory to spare. Disabling virtual memory will eliminate the page file, which means ALL your applications and games will be loaded in physical memory, which is orders of magnitude faster than even a Raptor.
How can you make that statement without knowing what he has running on his PC? Are you psychic?

Sure, if all he does is boot up and check emails, it's unlikely there'll be that much memory used, and so a pagefile may not be necessary.

But what if he sometimes has many programs open that can fill all his available ram? With no page file, the system will crash.

Disabling the page file wont make much, if any, difference to performance. 2000/XP's memory handling is much better (more efficient) than 95/98/ME's was.
Old 13th August 2004, 16:32   #14
General Geoff
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to General Geoff Send a message via AIM to General Geoff
Quite the contrary, disabling the page file DOES drastically increase performance while multitasking.

And unless he's running Doom 3, Unreal Tournament 2004, Adobe Photoshop CS, Nero 6 (while burning a CD), Outlook, and has five browser windows open all at once, he's not going to exceed a gig of memory.

I disabled my page file when I had 768MB of RAM, and I had absolutely no problem running UT2k4 while Photoshop CS, Trillian, Winamp, Firefox, Word, and Nero were all open in the background. I still had a couple hundred megs free, actually. And if he does somehow exceed 1GB of memory used, the program that is attempting to address nonexistent memory will either display an error message, or lock up. The OS will not crash.

General Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2004, 17:51   #15
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by deeder7001
Keep it up. It's bound to melt sooner or later

Raping your HDD like that's just gonna reduce its eventual lifetime.

Disabling your page file is a really dumb idea, from an academic point of view. Unless you're switching apps constantly, you're unlikely to notice a particular speed increase, either. I could see it leading to a happy increase if you're very heavily multitasking and you have God's own stock of RAM, though. I have 1GB of RAM, and I know that with the apps I usually use, and how I use them, disabling the page file would serve only to destabilise my system, and I'd notice little performance increase (I use many backgrounded apps, but only concentrate on a single application at a time, normally).

It would be very unlikely to die, but the performance increase wouldn't be worthwhile.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2004, 18:40   #16
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

i put damn small linux onto the hard drive i defragged 3 times. i have my new 80 gig that i put windows onto. my old hard drive will probably live longer than some newer hard drives even though it's so old.

There is no sig.
Old 13th August 2004, 20:11   #17
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

I've disabled the page file in XP pro before. Wouldn't let me boot up after, I had to reinstall. XP doesn't like not having a page file. There's a reason it exists and it's a very good one. I usually set mine to 512MB and forget about it, you wont need over a gig and if you do XP will tell you before increasing the swap file temporarily.

.: fwgx.co.uk.:.My art:.

"We think science is interesting and if you disagree, you can fuck off."
fwgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions