Old 26th October 2004, 10:53   #1
psyker7

File Management?

I would like a plugin that would move files etc. into album / artist directories or similar.

I find it strange that you can do if you dont mind reencoding ur whole library, and pro does it when ripping from a CD but no way to do it in winamp with existing files.

I have looked through plug ins that say 'file managment' but it usually is manual and ive got 1500 + tracks so it would take a while.

Any ideas or existing plugins that ppl know of would b great!
psyker7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2004, 13:27   #2
billyvnilly
Forum King, M.D.

Send a message via ICQ to billyvnilly Send a message via AIM to billyvnilly
i think the godfather , an external app does it for you.
billyvnilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2004, 23:14   #3
peaceofcake

But will the godfather update your ML database while it's at it? This is the ONE thing that's making me want to switch to iTunes. The ML is a start, but it's not done until it allows total file management of any format that has a supporting plugin. They're almost there, but they need to incorperate what psyker7 is asking for. I'm staying with winamp for now only because of its flexibility, but if these basic inconsistencies don't get fixed I might switch to iTunes for good.
peaceofcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2004, 00:42   #4
Spazz333
Major Dude

Just set it to rescan/remove dead files every so often. It's effectivly the same thing. I use that in conjunction with mediamonkey and it works slick.

Spazz333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2004, 08:10   #5
psyker7

media monkey? tell more...

I so agree with mistergecko I used I-Tunes but switched to Winamp because I-Tunes chews up way to many resources.

The problem with an external manager is that ratings will be lost, and i use them in winamp.

Also in response to Spazz333 rescanning and deleting old files does take some time, at least the rescanning sure does.
Of course maybe the reason is because i have a 733 Mhz 128 RAM that is trying to run XP (had to reformat the bastard last night as well )

So i will try godfather and it will work but havin a plug in with media library integration would b absolutly *n marvelous
Old 30th October 2004, 05:14   #6
Project B

Just reinstall iTunes and go into the Edit-Pereferences-Advanced Tab and check "Keep my iTunes folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library". Then, change the iTunes Music folder location to where you keep you music, and restart iTunes. Done and done.
Project B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2004, 20:32   #7
Spazz333
Major Dude

http://www.mediamonkey.com

It has a move/rename option that lets you set how you want everything moved. (Ex, I have mine set to \genre\artist\album\track#-trackname

Spazz333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2004, 17:31   #8
Knacker

Send a message via ICQ to Knacker Send a message via AIM to Knacker Send a message via Yahoo to Knacker
It'd be nice if someone did a consolidation tool for a library that would only group album/artist for complete albums, or artists with multiple albums. I dislike having single mp3s two folders deep just because that's the only mp3 I have from that artist.

Reactive consolidation, eh?
Knacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2004, 09:57   #9
psyker7

having looked at media monkey and godfather now i am using media monkey...

it really is quite good not to mention that it uses winamp as its player if you choose, the only gripe i have is that for some reason ratings do not transfer over between the two, as far as i can figure that is because winamp doesnt store ratings in the tag, whereas media monkey does.

Otherwise it kicks arse, thx Spazz.

Im sure that the godfather is good but its got a steep learning curve and i dont have the time...

Quote:
It'd be nice if someone did a consolidation tool for a library that would only group album/artist for complete albums, or artists with multiple albums. I dislike having single mp3s two folders deep just because that's the only mp3 I have from that artist.
Media monkey has a feature that u can use if(true,then,false) statements in making folder names so u can do that if u want.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist