Old 15th April 2003, 14:32   #1
Blueboy

How good is OGG ??

How much better is acutally Ogg vorbis than mp3? Is it good for storing music? Since i store alot of music i'm using Mpegplus, but the compability with other software is sadly small.
Old 15th April 2003, 14:46   #2
binary hero
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to binary hero
vorbis is better than you, your dad and your brother in one big homospectacular orgy.
Old 15th April 2003, 15:14   #3
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

It's better than sucking off a horse.

.: fwgx.co.uk.:.My art:.

"We think science is interesting and if you disagree, you can fuck off."
Old 15th April 2003, 15:35   #4
Twilightseer
Frenchoderator

MPEGPlus is the best format for archiving but chances are it will never get any hardware support. Ogg is cool; MP3 is still the reference though.
Old 15th April 2003, 15:41   #5
eleet-2k2
Forum King

If you have mad disk space available, or a DVD burner with cheap DVD-R's () then you can store the original wav files.

OGG is much better for compression while keeping good audio quality, so having the same bitrate OGG vs MP3, OGG will be better sounding and possibly smaller. OGGs also sound better while having a smaller bitrate than a higher bitrate MP3.

If you're going to archive, seer recommends MPEGPlus, but even a really high bitrate OGG is good.

Currently though OGG's hardware support is very limited, while MP3's is quite vast.

"Welcome to the Island of people who know too much."..."Did you really think balloons would stop him?!"
See what I'm listening too.
Old 15th April 2003, 19:32   #6
Freak In A Cage

Quote:
Originally posted by Phily Baby
It's better than sucking off a horse.
I didn't know you saw "Ali G In Da House"
Old 15th April 2003, 21:39   #7
Triton4
Major Dude

Not much different from MP3, quality-wise

If you consider two audio files - MP3 and OGG - that represent either a music track ripped directly from your Audio CD, or essentially a WAV file that is encoded to MP3 & OGG resp; you would find that, for same audio compression (say, 128kbps MP3 and 0.4-0.5q OGG), both the files would sound PERFECTLY THE SAME (atleast on WA3) & their file sizes would be almost equal.

The only advantage that OGG offers over MP3, is the fact that it's open-source & non-patented - which means that you could share your OGG files with other users over the internet, download/stream OGG music tracks on websites - without having to pay for anything, or risking yourself in getting sued by the company (unlike the MP3 related issues).

I would NOT recommend you to convert your existing MP3/Mpeg Plus files to OGG, as you are converting from one lossy format to another & the resulting OGG files would sound terrible... However, you could rip your audio CDs or encode fresh WAV files to the OGG format, as you wish.
Old 16th April 2003, 01:39   #8
s0be
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to s0be Send a message via AIM to s0be Send a message via Yahoo to s0be
while it is true that mp3->ogg is a "bad idea" (tm), many comparisons (both blind testing and actual wav->encoded->wave difference tests) have shown that an ogg at a set bitrate is truer to the origional file.

s0be

And On that day, the Lords of the land said unto their Master Architect, "The temple you have made to the gods of Wasabi and Maki has brought us no great prosperity" and they sent out him into the lands.

As he traveled to a far off land, he found he wasn't traveling alone, but that he had gained companions, and when they found their new land, they started work on a new temple, one that would be OPEN to all who wanted to worship.

from The Book of Wasabi C 12 Vs 09 (pg 2003)
Old 16th April 2003, 03:08   #9
askii64

Send a message via AIM to askii64
OGG sounds better to me at low bitrates. Sometimes MP3 just sounds like listening to music in a telephone booth underwater, but usually OGG still sounds fine at those kind of bitrates. But although I like OGG, now that I've ripped a few CD's to my computer using it I've realized that it's hard to use the files -- Nero won't burn them, my MP3 player won't play them.

I'd have to recommend staying with MP3 if you want to burn CDs and stuff like that.
Old 16th April 2003, 04:38   #10
s0be
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to s0be Send a message via AIM to s0be Send a message via Yahoo to s0be
nero(latest version) will burn them, and the next generation of mp3 players will play them as well.

s0be

And On that day, the Lords of the land said unto their Master Architect, "The temple you have made to the gods of Wasabi and Maki has brought us no great prosperity" and they sent out him into the lands.

As he traveled to a far off land, he found he wasn't traveling alone, but that he had gained companions, and when they found their new land, they started work on a new temple, one that would be OPEN to all who wanted to worship.

from The Book of Wasabi C 12 Vs 09 (pg 2003)
Old 16th April 2003, 13:08   #11
Blueboy

Well, thanx everybody for all the replays i got

I would never change my mp3 (VBR 204) into lower quality. But i want to get a audio format to stick to, and not changing between them. The only advantage mp3 got in my opinion is how well known it is and used by so much software and is the best choice for streaming media (in my experience). MPC is excellent but lacks in compactibility. OGG offers much better compression in my opinion, is open source and can be used for archiving with good results. And still i love MPC, it sounds soo crispy...
Old 16th April 2003, 13:23   #12
baafie
feminazi
(Major Dude)

To me, a -q4,99(~140kb/s) ogg file sounds equal to a 256kb/s MP3 file. When speaking in file sizes, ogg files save me almost 50 percent for one song.
Old 16th April 2003, 13:33   #13
Blueboy

Well, i decided to keep continiue rippin my cd's into OGG encoded with the 10.0 switch. It gives you good quality and you can still store a couple of albums on a cd-r. The only reason for using .mpc is that Jet-Audio 5 Jukebox has support for it.
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions