they are discussing making posting a bannable offense i think.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • binary hero
    Banned
    • Jun 2001

they are discussing making posting a bannable offense i think.

- #******* and #Winamp on **** is not affiliated with the Winamp Forums. Any problems on IRC stay there and do not belong in the forums. If you have an issue with a member there who is also a Winamp Forums member contact them via PM.
    thankyou, that is what we have been trying to say all along. and we don't want snotty #nullsoft types coming into #******* either. if you want to talk to a member, use the PM function. if they aren't a member, then email them if you really have to talk to them.

- Do not flame other users. if you have a problem with a user contact them via PM. Flaming is a violation of the Forum Rules flaming threads will be locked or deleted. People who continually flame others will ave action taken upon them in accordance to the Forum Rules.
    even if they are asshats? what if they REALLY deserve it? what if you want everyone to know how truly stupid they are? what about adil, why isn't he banned yet, he has repeatedly flamed, been banned, returned and flamed again!

- Treat Junior Members with respect. Just because someone is new to the forum, doesn't give any member the right to treat them as a lesser member. If they posted in the wrong forum point them in the right direction and do not flame them. Also do not hijack the thread just because it is a out of place question.
    ok, we point them in the right direction, shouldn't mods then move or delete the thread? and if a topic does evolve withing a n00b-thread, then it should stay, not be move/deleted TOO LATE

- Use images only when needed or appropriate. Posting of random images unrelated to the thread material is annoying. The dinosaurs weren’t that funny the first time, anyways. Also, repeated posting of nonsensical images is the same as posting random text and could be taken as a violation of the Forum Rules under Spamming and Post Pumping.
    actually, the dinosaurs were fucking hilarious. it was great to tear a pointless thread down with nonsense, seeing as the mods sometimes neglected to lock some threads that had no point, we just made them into a bit of fun. if a thread has 20 replies and is titled "how do i open the pl?"...don't read it unless you want nonsense!

- Limit the amount of images used and size. Most forums users do not have a broadband connection and image heavy threads can take an extended time to load. Also, prevent embedding images that break the default table sizes. Moderators may edit overly large images to link if they are deemed too large. There is no hard-set rule though, but use better judgment when deciding URL or IMG tags. If you create a thread that is image heavy try to make mention of it within the subject.
    no mention of dynamic sigs? and i can't really think of any threads that have become images-only other than the dinosaur threads.

- Attempt to user proper grammar and spelling. Now, we don't grade on spelling here, but at least make an attempt. In general the uses of on-line chat short hand or l33t speak is frowned upon. A forum is not a real time medium, so speed isn't such an issue. Take the time and spell words out. Use "you" instead of "u" or "j00"; "are" instead of "r"; "was" instead of "waz", and so on.
    i agree with this one, though it is fun to parody n00bs

- Let stupid threads die on their own. If a thread is dumb it will wither off the front page quickly if people just leave it alone. Remember, whenever you reply to a thread it is bumped to the top, which the dumb thread will stay active longer. And stop posting those stupid little pictures, they are a reply, they bump the thread, and they humor wears off when they are posted constantly. Basically, the best thing you can do is (and going back to my Usenet days) don't feed the trolls.
    I WANT THE POINTLESS STAMP BACK! I DON'T CARE! that don't feed the trolls quote is now older than anything else, can i have a sticky thread complaining about it's use please?

- Don't create new threads on common topics. Search the forums and revive an old thread if you have something to say or add. Some topics have been done to death and can be annoying for the older members. Such topics include: avatars, browser choice, desktop shots, signatures, and other such threads.
    agreed.
  • seph2k
    • Dec 2002

i r teh pwnz j00 all kthx
    I agree though. Typing one letter instead of three is just retarded. Inexcusably lazy. I mean, how much time do you really save? 4, maybe 5 seconds? The people reading your message may waste up to 5 times that attempting to decipher your poor excuse for communcation.

Comment

• Bizznatch
      Forum King
      • Jun 2000

Originally posted by binary hero
      actually, the dinosaurs were fucking hilarious. it was great to tear a pointless thread down with nonsense, seeing as the mods sometimes neglected to lock some threads that had no point, we just made them into a bit of fun. if a thread has 20 replies and is titled "how do i open the pl?"...don't read it unless you want nonsense!
      i'd have to agree with that
      Last edited by Bizznatch; 16 April 2003, 00:57.

Comment

• Atmo
        The Freak
        (Forum King)
        • Feb 2002

Re: they are discussing making posting a bannable offense i think.

Originally posted by binary hero
        no mention of dynamic sigs?
        I was thinking the same thing. Personally, they facking annoy me as they have to be reloaded each time a thread is viewed, but since they're usually within the defined pixel/file size limitations i dont think they should be banned (doubt they even could be without banning img tags in sigs altogether). Stricter enforcement on their sizes by the mods would be nice for us on dialup though.

Still, there's always my hosts file people can use if they want to block them.
        :Psykotech:

Comment

• Bizznatch
          Forum King
          • Jun 2000

or you can just turn off sigs in general in the user options cant you?

Comment

• Atmo
            The Freak
            (Forum King)
            • Feb 2002

Yeah, but some members have genuinely useful info/links in their sigs, plus they're a way to tell people apart (i get confused in my old age).

Comment

• s1138
              Alumni?
              • May 2000

ya see why i dont post as often...i am like..useless postmaster..err..used to be

Comment

• dlinkwit27
                has no CT
                (Forum King)
                • Sep 2000

Re: Re: they are discussing making posting a bannable offense i think.

Originally posted by Atmo
                but since they're usually within the defined pixel/file size limitations i dont think they should be banned

I tried hard to make sure mine wasn't too large to load. Would there be a way for sigs to only be shown once per thread? well...nvm, that wouldnt do much good, they wuold have to be loaded anyway, unless the thread is multiple pages...

::Deviant Me::Last.fm::WhatPulse Stats::Folding @ Home

Comment

• White Raven
                  Little Winged One
                  • Apr 2002

Originally posted by seph2k
                  i r teh pwnz j00 all kthx
                  I agree though. Typing one letter instead of three is just retarded. Inexcusably lazy. I mean, how much time do you really save? 4, maybe 5 seconds? The people reading your message may waste up to 5 times that attempting to decipher your poor excuse for communcation.

God. How I sing agreements to that.

But, I think the things Sawg posted are reasonable, and I find that I abide by them anyways. They're really not all that much to ask.

About the n00b flaming. If said n00b does the same thing repeatedly, then I guess I could condone telling them to fuck off and learn to read.

But yeah, that chat slang REALLY pisses me off.
                  just as feathery as ever | portfolio | a poignant quote

Comment

• Atero
                    Forum King
                    • Jun 2001

fUk wH03V3r m4D3 7h053 rul3z, 7H3yR 4 pHuKk1nG n00bw4nK!!!

:insert dinosaur picture:
                    "guilt is the cause of more disauders
                    than history's most obscene marorders" --E. E. Cummings

Comment

• Bizznatch
                      Forum King
                      • Jun 2000

[sarcasm] YEAH! FUCK RULES! LETS ALL BREAK THEM![/sarcasm]

no, then this forum will turn into another SomethingAwful

Comment

• White Raven
                        Little Winged One
                        • Apr 2002

Did SomethingAwful really go down that badly?
                        And to tell the truth, I find it a little annoying that people are speaking in l33t, saying that the rules are 'fucking dumb' and stuff. Come on guys, I know you're trying to be funny but really. This is serious. Come on.

Call me a wet blanket -- I guess I'm just in a serious mood at the moment.

Comment

• Bizznatch
                          Forum King
                          • Jun 2000

I'm pretty sure SomethingAwful was that bad, when the admin banned everybody and started charging $10 for anyone who wanted to rejoin

Comment

• White Raven
                            Little Winged One
                            • Apr 2002

Wow. That's pretty damn bad. O_O

Please guys, let's not let this happen here.

Comment

• Atmo
                              The Freak
                              (Forum King)
                              • Feb 2002

Originally posted by White Raven
                              Wow. That's pretty damn bad. O_O

Please guys, let's not let this happen here.
                              It wont, at least it's unlikely. None of the other forums are having problems like those going on in GD. IMO worst case scenario would be that this place keeps going on the track it is and admin just closes it.

Comment

Working...
                              X