Old 12th August 2004, 20:13   #1
morgado
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to morgado
Windows XP SP2

Well, here it comes, the SP2 for Win XP.
So, what do you people think, will it make any difference at all ?! Or will it only bring more new bugs to Win XP ?

I'll have to wait 'till SP2 pt-br comes out ... So, if any of you has already downloaded it (Yessss, P2P, BitTorrent, Google [LoL]), what did you finde about it ?!

This remembers me about a thread that was about creating a Computer Center in forums or something ...

I Love You Ana Luiza
MSN
morgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2004, 20:20   #2
Smeggle
Just Strolling By
(Major Dude)

more bugs..not gonna bother for six mnths at least till they bring the first sp1 for sp2 out

jking but still not gonna bother..

Music is Life, Love and Happiness :|: Life is Music. Serren - 1985 - 2005
Religion? Religion is a Blasphemy against humanity - From the film What the Bleep do we know

siggy link So stumbling? whats it all about
Smeggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2004, 20:24   #3
Egekrusher

Actually, from the few technical details I've read, it's going to make Windows XP instead of break it. Granted, you may lose some program compatibility due to security upgrades and dumping legacy support for applications (ie no more 16bit programs, a lot of 3rd party command line tools won't work), but in this day and age, isn't it worth it?
Egekrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2004, 21:06   #4
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

I've run SP2 for several months now, from builds in the early-1000s, up to the experimental 2162 build, and currently the latest stable 2158 build.

When I first installed it, I had some problems with some my corporate programs, and oddly with Winamp (closing a few seconds after starting). But soon after a new build was available, and I've never had any problems since that could be attributed to the service pack.

It'll make the biggest difference for people who don't run their own security components. It will help manage their firewall, anti-virus and auto-update apps, and will provide them with a fairly configurable set of security features.

But if you're like me and run your own "cocktail" of security apps, then SP2 will not provide as much of a jump in security.

It will, however, block some more security holes in the OS and in IE, and fix some of Microsoft's other 50,000+ outstanding bugs with Windows as well. (Yes, I've seen the MS issue tracking database...it's terrifying.)

I'm a psychosomatic sister running around without a leash.
ScorLibran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2004, 22:25   #5
Egekrusher

I work at a cable ISP, and the one thing that actually makes me excited is the self-reparing Winsock module. For anyone who has had to reload Windows because they can't get online (more technical explanation: winsock and tcp/ip become corrupt for some reason, and because of the integrated nature of tcp/ip and winsock with WinXP, it makes those items virtually impossible to just reinstall without modifying the registry), that worry will be pretty much eliminated.
Egekrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2004, 22:34   #6
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

this whole question is pretty subjective.
Most people have had a lot of the SP2 updates installed for a while now via windows update.
I think the wireless wizard has been a good update.
But the main thing has been the security center. Which has always been in xp, it was just hidden in the system menu.
And Im not a big fan of software firewalls anyway.

elevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladylevitateme
shakey_snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2004, 23:33   #7
cyu
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to cyu Send a message via Yahoo to cyu
meh. http://theinquirer.net/?article=17794
cyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2004, 23:47   #8
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

No problems so far and the security manager will doubtless reduce the risk of more mass virus outbreaks by making people aware of security.

Good stuff by MS.

ScorLibran: You should see the Solaris bug list, that's pretty amazing.

.: fwgx.co.uk.:.My art:.

"We think science is interesting and if you disagree, you can fuck off."
fwgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2004, 00:38   #9
sgtfuzzbubble011

I thought MS was supposed to be releasing the redist file on their site. Is it there and I'm just overlooking it, or do I have to wait to get it from there?
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2004, 01:26   #10
morgado
Major Dude

Yeah ... I've been reading stuff about SP2 since the beginig too ...
Well, it's pretty amazing what people can do when they wanna do the right way ....
But, as I said, I gotta wait until pt-br is released ... so ... if there's is any issue, I hope they fix it 'til there ...

I Love You Ana Luiza
MSN
Old 13th August 2004, 03:11   #11
Joel
Debian user
(Forum King)

Oh! And don't forget Windows Longhorn is comming, so expect more SPs and releases....

It's been in the past since Windows 95 and always will....

For-ever and ever....

Our grandsons will still downloading SPs and upgrades, you can trust in that

* PC: Intel Core 2 DUO E6550 @ 2.33 GHz with 2 GB RAM: Archlinux-i686 with MATE.
* Laptop: Intel Core 2 DUO T6600 @ 2.20 GHz with 4 GB RAM: Archlinux-x86-64 with MATE.
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2004, 04:05   #12
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
I've heard it causes issues with p2p programs, something about limiting connections, but at the same time i've heard that that's bs, so idk. I'll get it when it comes on windows update
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2004, 04:50   #13
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Quote:
Originally posted by Phily Baby
ScorLibran: You should see the Solaris bug list, that's pretty amazing.
I worked for Sun Microsystems for two years, 2000-2002. I managed their buglists as the software configuration manager. I still have nightmares about the code reviews, but therapy is helping me through.

Old 13th August 2004, 07:36   #14
Viper007Bond
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Viper007Bond Send a message via AIM to Viper007Bond Send a message via Yahoo to Viper007Bond
/timeline morgado

It's been out for a while.

Anyway, been running it since last weekend or so and haven't had any issues with it. Then again, I did turn off many of the services it installed and disabled a lotta the other new stuff. :P

- Viper007Bond | Viper007Bond.com
Viper007Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2004, 07:37   #15
Viper007Bond
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Viper007Bond Send a message via AIM to Viper007Bond Send a message via Yahoo to Viper007Bond
Quote:
Originally posted by dlinkwit27
I've heard it causes issues with p2p programs, something about limiting connections, but at the same time i've heard that that's bs, so idk. I'll get it when it comes on windows update
I'm connected to a hundred or so people right now on one port - no issues.

- Viper007Bond | Viper007Bond.com
Viper007Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2004, 14:18   #16
lostonline
Where am I?
(Major Dude)

I might install it in a few weeks. Things such as security fixes don't bother me so much as I'm behind a harware firewall (so can't get external connections to my PC to exploit it) and don't use IE. There may be open exploits on my PC but things can't get to them to take advantage.

Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.
--
Homer Simpson
lostonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2004, 14:28   #17
ctn|chrisw
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Viper007Bond
I'm connected to a hundred or so people right now on one port - no issues.
It screwed up torrent for me, but I fixed the file for unlim connections since I dont need to limit to prevent worms when I secure my pcs properly. you can get sp2 now at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en but its the full thing, windows update will only install what you need.

Other then the easily fixable max connection thing it works great.

ctn|chrisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2004, 15:29   #18
CaptainNuss
Indecisive One
(Senior Member)

I'm running SP 2 since two days ago. Seems quite nice, didn't have any problems yet.

Quote:
Originally posted by shakey_snake
But the main thing has been the security center. Which has always been in xp, it was just hidden in the system menu.
What do you mean by system menu?

[size=1]"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." - Richard Cook
CaptainNuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2004, 16:02   #19
Vie
Forum King

Location: Thoron fields and Duranium shadows. Posts: Crap mostly
Hum... ..looks like I wont need it.

Member most in need of SpellCheck Lifetime Achievement Award

I'm a Twitch Streamer these days, it's weird.
Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2004, 16:14   #20
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Good stuff by MS.
My opinion also.

And regardless of the security having been in Windows for a while, it's actually useful when it's enabled now, whereas before it was very primitive.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2004, 18:41   #21
morgado
Major Dude

That's what Ive hear too ....
Well ... I'll wait ... no hurry !

I Love You Ana Luiza
MSN
Old 13th August 2004, 20:05   #22
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by ScorLibran
I worked for Sun Microsystems for two years, 2000-2002. I managed their buglists as the software configuration manager. I still have nightmares about the code reviews, but therapy is helping me through.

Really? I was there 2002-2003 as a SW Engineer in the Continuation Engineering department in Consett, UK.

My code reviews went ok, not too many problems.

Old 13th August 2004, 20:38   #23
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Quote:
Really? I was there 2002-2003 as a SW Engineer in the Continuation Engineering department in Consett, UK.

My code reviews went ok, not too many problems.
Very cool. I suppose then that you heard about the first wave of layoffs that Sun ever had in the US is 2002? That's what happened to me. Actually, they decentralized SCM a good bit, and my entire department ended up going away. But let me tell you, their severance package kicks ass! I made more money from the severance over 6 months than I did the entire previous year as a regular employee.

But anyway, regarding XP SP2, something else I've heard is that some apps have to be reinstalled after loading up SP2, especially communications apps like P2P, SSH, FTP, etc. So if anyone has a problem with an app in that category after installing SP2, uninstallation and reinstallation should usually fix it.

I had to reinstall SecureFX myself after I loaded one of the early SP2 beta's, but that was all.

Old 13th August 2004, 21:55   #24
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

Yeah I was there then, we were worried for a bit but UK engineering survived that one. But then they got rid of 200 UK engineers and shipped that all off to the US and india. So some poor sod in America is maintaining the FT1800!

Old 13th August 2004, 22:04   #25
CaboWaboAddict
Forum Sot
(Major Dude)

Quote:
Originally posted by Egekrusher
...you may lose some program compatibility due to security upgrades and dumping legacy support for applications (ie no more 16bit programs, a lot of 3rd party command line tools won't work), ...
I will upgrade at home, but at work I will have to wait and see because of the above. I have to support some legacy code that was made in Borland C++ 3.x. I hope this gives the users a good reason to upgrade.

Idiot's Advocate
My site (under construction)
CaboWaboAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2004, 22:34   #26
XxXolsdaltXxX

its already out...

SP2 is already out.. (yes its the full version).. just not to windows update yet

here is proof (by microsoft themselves), regarding the release date!!
Quote:
August 06, 2004 - Release to manufacturing (RTM), available on MSDN!
August 09, 2004 - Release to Microsoft Download Center Network Installation Package and or Express Installation Package

August 16, 2004 - Release to Automatic Updates.
August 16, 2004 - Release to Software Update Services.
August ??, 2004 - Release to Windows Update.
REDMOND, Wash. - August. 6, 2004, 10:08:00 AM - Microsoft Corp. today announced the release to manufacturing of Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies.
This free service pack delivers the latest security updates and innovations from Microsoft, establishes strong default security settings, and adds new proactive protection features that will help better safeguard computers from hackers, viruses and other security risks. During the worldwide rollout of Service Pack 2, Microsoft will localize the software in 25 languages over the next two months and distribute it to computer manufacturers, enterprise customers and consumers through downloads, retail installation, free CD's and on new PC's. The easiest way for current Windows XP users to ensure they receive Service Pack 2 when it releases in their language is to simply turn on the Automatic Updates feature in Windows XP.
Customers with Automatic Updates enabled will receive the latest security updates for Windows XP, along with updated installation software that will optimize the download experience of Service Pack 2 and all future updates to Windows XP.
The timing for customers to receive the Service Pack 2 download through Automatic Updates depends on a number of factors, including the customer's Internet usage, location, language and the level of Internet demand for Service Pack 2.
Automatic Updates uses spare Internet capacity to progressively download updates without interfering with daily PC use.
Microsoft expects to distribute Service Pack 2 to approximately 100 million PCs through Automatic Updates over the next two months.
heres the links to the RTM (release to manufacturing)

WARNING!!! if you are using a pirated/warez version of XP, then do NOT install this!!!!!!11!! (this can be defeated, but i wouldnt know anything about that )

English: http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...35-SP2-ENU.exe

MD5 HASH ID: 59A98F181FE383907E520A391D75B5A7

German (just in case :P): http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...35-SP2-DEU.exe

MD5 HASH ID: 2FA1439DD7425848BA187213F9B9949F

i have downloaded it and installed it fine (except with a conflict with atapi.sys.. which was caused by Alcohol 120%), and it is VERY good..
XxXolsdaltXxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2004, 23:13   #27
cyu
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to cyu Send a message via Yahoo to cyu
actually, it works on pirated and warez version. MS decided to let this service pack slip.
cyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2004, 23:41   #28
XxXolsdaltXxX

damn.. then i changed my cd key for nothing..
Old 13th August 2004, 23:53   #29
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

I think the keys that SP1 blocked are still blocked, but if you already have SP1 on a new warez key then it's ok.

Old 14th August 2004, 00:19   #30
MStar
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to MStar Send a message via AIM to MStar Send a message via Yahoo to MStar
I can't install it from windows update.

MStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2004, 00:21   #31
wa21guy

Send a message via AIM to wa21guy Send a message via Yahoo to wa21guy
I, for one, think SP2 is a great addition to XP. It finally adds security so Microsoft can try and concentrate on things other than damn IE holes and stuff. I'd like to see more focus on fixing actual bugs that security holes.
wa21guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2004, 00:23   #32
Reaper
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by dlinkwit27
It dropped my connection from 300-400 KBps down to 100-200 KBps. There are fixes going around, though, which brings it from 10 connections to 50. So far my connection is back to its normal speeds.

http://www.lvllord.de/4226fix/4226fix.htm

ml_iPod - [Homepage] | [Forums] | [Wiki]
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2004, 02:03   #33
XxXolsdaltXxX

Quote:
Originally posted by Reaper
It dropped my connection from 300-400 KBps down to 100-200 KBps. There are fixes going around, though, which brings it from 10 connections to 50. So far my connection is back to its normal speeds.

http://www.lvllord.de/4226fix/4226fix.htm
i think that its 10 connections per second that its limiting..
because me nor anybody i know with sp2 had a problem with making more than 10 connections
Old 14th August 2004, 02:05   #34
Reaper
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by XxXolsdaltXxX
i think that its 10 connections per second that its limiting..
because me nor anybody i know with sp2 had a problem with making more than 10 connections
Yeah, it is

ml_iPod - [Homepage] | [Forums] | [Wiki]
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2004, 02:08   #35
morgado
Major Dude

Well, nice to know this issues ... before getting it ...
Let's how many will come to public before I get it ... bets ?!

I Love You Ana Luiza
MSN
Old 14th August 2004, 15:15   #36
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

I think it's good that programs will be broken in the name of security and good programming practice. Programmers should be forced to program properly to stop potential threats.

I think AVIPreview that comes with Kazaa Lite is screwed over by this due the need to mark memory as executable.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions