Old 27th November 2010, 18:25   #1
fatum

Policies for streaming music?

I have a shoutcast station where we talk about different topics, and we interview listeners on the topics too (they can call in). However, whenever I'm not around I'm wanting to play music. I could play music under creative commons, but I'm also wanting some music outside of that. What kind of legal issues are there? Could I provide an option to buy the song? Right now I'm developing a small application that plays different songs from an xml playlist, and every 6 or 7 songs it plays an advertisement to help pay if I need to play to play the songs.

Would I need to contact the record companies (obviously that would be pretty unlikely if I need to contact record companies).

Thanks for any help!
fatum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 08:40   #2
mjbrown

Depends what country you're in. If you're in the USA, this thread and the RAIN link near the end should be sufficiently depressing. Basically at the hobbyist level the situation is you need to sign up with SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, and SESAC, each of which will want something like $500 a year, minimum, plus timely reports about what you played and how many listeners you had. If you go through a stream hosting service, they may take care of that for you, so you just pay a simpler fee. Many people choose to violate the law and operate without the proper licensing. I don't know what the consequences are when they get caught, but I imagine it begins with a stern letter with lawyers' names on it, and a bill for much more than what it would've cost if you had paid for the proper licenses.
mjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions