Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Closed Thread
Old 15th April 2013, 18:38   #241
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Winamp 5.7 Open Beta #5 is now available.

Beta 4 Build 3364 to Beta 5 Build 3367 changelog

* Updated: [png] libpng v1.5.15

- Installer tweaks
- Make sure nxlite.dll is installed with all components that require it
- Make sure ombrowser.w5s is installed with cloud components/plugins
- Create autoplayhandlers (audio/video/mp3 cd) under all supported OSes (weren't being created for Win8)
- Exclude thinktink's in_bpopus & in_bpxfade plugins from the dll rebaser/optimizer
- OS not supported message now also appears for Win2k (sorry) (Official min req'd sys specs: OS = WinXP and higher)

- Preserve location of Prefs dialog

- Fixed broken(?) GetPro & Recover Reg Key url's

- [ml_playlists] Crash fix

- [gen_ml] Fixed drawing glitch when the rating or cloud icons are the left-most column in media views

- [ml_local] Moved the known (i.e. ref'd in gen_ml.ini) .vmd files from plugins\ml to plugins\ml\views

- [ml_local/ml_cloud] Fixed crash issues when reading/editing metadata

- [cloud] various revision/mediahash/metadata tweaks

- [ml_cloud] db nuke bump - please wait for "first pull completed" message

- [enc_fhgaac] Write encoder version & setting to @too atom (tool) in mp4 metadata

- [gen_crasher] Tidied up the Prefs layout & made smtp port configurable

- [gen_hotkeys] Fixed "Enabled" toggle in settings

- Various crash fixes from error reports

- Various other tweaks/fixes
Old 15th April 2013, 21:11   #242
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
well, I installed it, started it, waited a bit, but still had the weird number code under the cloud in the navtree, clicked around a bit under the cloud choices there, toggled the status windows on, and winamp crashed, generating no report.

having the cloud active, seems to make showing other views take forever, and also seems to make the "local library" view under cloud sources take an eternity, as well as make winamp unstable.

when I restart, the code is gone, and things seem more stable. still takes forever to click local library under cloud tho. i'm thinking something is happening when the code is there that keeps it from finishing that process cleanly. I do have nearly 500gigs of stuff.

ps. I love having the pref windows remember location though!

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
Old 15th April 2013, 21:47   #243
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

@MrSinatra

That "Local Library" view under Cloud was initially only implemented for debug/dev purposes.
I'm not sure if it will stay... though I guess it will if there's enough demand.
It's disabled by default, isn't it? i.e. you have to checkmark it in the Prefs.

The larger your library then, yes, it will take Library (ex: Local Media) views a bit longer to load, especially at Winamp startup,
and if the Cloud column is enabled, because it's also loading cloud-related data for all songs....

btw, is this other cloud device view (with the long uid number) possibly your old laptop?
Does this device show up on the Cloud web player?
Have you tried removing it (e.g. via right-click menu in Winamp)?

[Edit] Oh, it's the Local Library view before it's loaded properly..... hmmm....
Old 15th April 2013, 22:07   #244
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
@MrSinatra

That "Local Library" view under Cloud was initially only implemented for debug/dev purposes.
I'm not sure if it will stay... though I guess it will if there's enough demand.
well, I don't see a need for it, but I could see it being useful if I was on a droid tablet, and on that tablet I wanted to see the "Local Library" of my windows machine.

Quote:
It's disabled by default, isn't it? i.e. you have to checkmark it in the Prefs.
I believe that's correct.

Quote:
The larger your library then, yes, it will take Library (ex: Local Media) views a bit longer to load, especially at Winamp startup,
and if the Cloud column is enabled, because it's also loading cloud-related data for all songs....
couldn't it just do the local view as it always has, (ie. quickly) and then just refresh the column after the view is loaded?

and regardless of what winamp is doing, or how big my ML is, winamp should not crash just b/c i switch views rapidly or slowly, or toggle the cloud status windows, imo.

also, can you please make the icons used/behavior for the cloud column configurable in prefs? I HATE the up arrows for every last item, esp since I will never upload most of them, (unless you provide more space).

Quote:
btw, is this other cloud device view (with the long uid number) possibly your old laptop?
Does this device show up on the Cloud web player?
Have you tried removing it (e.g. via right-click menu in Winamp)?
the cloud website proper does not work for me, at all. remember the screenshot I posted of that? its the same.

the long code seems to refer to this laptop, and probably the local library of this laptop. when I get that code, its usually b/c you guys prompted it via a nuke of the db or something like that, and if I give it enough time it eventually goes away. (ie. I think it finishes looping or whatever)

I believe the code and the local library thing are one and the same, and the code shows when scanning, etc... but its just observational guessing on my part.

just fyi, i have only ever used my one laptop with the cloud stuff. however, i have used two different hard drives / win7 installs with it. i no longer have access to the original one thanks to dell. I've been on this one, a SSD, for a few weeks now.

EDIT: btw, the local library under cloud sources reports 17 more items total (66298) than my local smartview ("Library") does! (66281) obviously something weird there, how is that even possible? i have in cloud prefs done both 'rescan local library now' and 'reset cloud library' although when you do them, the "yes" or "no" choices are confusing b/c of the double negative way the question is asked. i picked yes for both.

--
Old 16th April 2013, 10:24   #245
Andre.Ziegler

Quote:
Winamp 5.7 Open Beta #5 is now available.

Beta 4 Build 3364 to Beta 5 Build 3367 changelog

- [ml_playlists] Crash fix
nope, the new beta still crashes with the 3 callstacks I already posted.

Please activate AppVerifier + PageHeap with gflags.exe for Winamp.exe and run it from a debugger to find hidden bugs.

Old 16th April 2013, 16:58   #246
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

@Andre.Ziegler

I don't think your crash was related to ml_playlists.dll

The ml_disc issue hasn't been addressed yet, but hopefully will be before 5.7 final release.

I personally haven't been able to reproduce any crash when clicking on Open File (eject button or menu item).
Though if your error report has been received then maybe DrO or Benski will/have look(ed) into it....
Old 16th April 2013, 18:10   #247
zepper

Have you ended support for W2k? When trying to install the latest beta it says that Winamp 5.7 requires Windows 2000 or newer. I'm probably one of the few left who still likes to use it now and then but a guy out of Japan who calls himself blackwingcat has built a Kernelex for W2k and many new programs work on it, including Office 2010, the latest Firefox and Chrome, VLC Player. Winamp probably would too, if it's not supported officially then changing the installer requirements would probably be enough.
Old 16th April 2013, 18:22   #248
MrSinatra
Forum King

ending w2k support is noted in the changelog.

--
Old 16th April 2013, 18:29   #249
zepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
ending w2k support is noted in the changelog.
Now that I actually looked you are correct.

No need to apologize DJ Egg. :_) We'll get this running in no time. But at least I got the first beta installed and it's pretty good so far.
Old 16th April 2013, 18:30   #250
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepper View Post
Have you ended support for W2k? When trying to install the latest beta it says that Winamp 5.7 requires Windows 2000 or newer. I'm probably one of the few left who still likes to use it now and then but a guy out of Japan who calls himself blackwingcat has built a Kernelex for W2k and many new programs work on it, including Office 2010, the latest Firefox and Chrome, VLC Player. Winamp probably would too, if it's not supported officially then changing the installer requirements would probably be enough.
You're correct that the main test is within the installer to stop 5.7 beta going onto your PC. Version 5.6 will still work on W2K so grab that one and install it.

You could then experiment by manually copying the files from the 5.7 Beta across from a newer PC, but it hasn't been tested on W2K in years. And all this new fangled cloud stuff is almost certainly not going to work.

(I told them there would be trouble if they dropped W2K support... )
Old 16th April 2013, 19:00   #251
zepper

Thank goodness for Filehippo, I was able to download the last working beta 3364. That's good enough for now, I'll wait until the final version, install it on XP and copy over the files or change the installer requirements.

Batter Pudding, no kidding, W2K is one of those rare systems Microsoft got right, no Metro UI crap or ribbons or any of that stupid sort so there might be more of us stubborn legacy users than they know.
Old 16th April 2013, 19:45   #252
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

@Zepper: I'm an old git who remembers the quality of W2K. And still support it for some of my clients. And on other forums. Only last week I was telling someone NOT to replace a W2K PC with XP as he was getting too many headaches. And Sunday I was talking in a thread here about the joys of NT 4.0.

Yep, there are a lot of legacy users out there. And this time next year XP drops into that same box.

(Though I am a little odd as I like the ribbon. Even though I been using Word since the days of DOS I can now find more features in Word thanks to that Ribbon)

If you are testing the Winamp beta out on W2K please post lots of feedback here about findings - good and bad. Maybe we can sweet talk some special options into the installer. Or even just persuade someone to put up a message box saying "W2K untested - proceed at your own risk as unsupported" instead of just stopping the installer.

Please also note that 5.6 and 5.7 are subtly changing around how the user files are stored in %appdata%. So when going back to 5.6 from 5.7 there are files you may need to move (i.e. playlists and *.vmd files)

Oh - and sorry - but I think it was probably my fault that the installer got updated to kill W2K as I noticed bugs to do with updating Direct X on a Win7 PC during installation.... I think W2K got chopped at that same time...
Old 16th April 2013, 19:46   #253
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

@zepper

Alas, some features will not work on Win2k.
There's no-one testing it internally on Win2k and, as MS dropped support for Win2k over 3 years ago, it's not really possible/practical for us to continue officially supporting it.

Thanks for letting us know about the error message. It needs updating to say "requires a minimum of Windows XP or newer".

Also note, that if you do end up copying files from XP to 2k, the only file which needs to go in a different place is msvcr90.dll
On WinXP/7/8 it goes in the "%ProgramFiles%\Winamp\Microsoft.VC90.CRT" folder,
whereas on Win2k it needed to go in just the "%ProgramFiles%\Winamp" root dir.
Old 16th April 2013, 20:04   #254
zepper

Batter Pudding: it's running great on WK2, at least the two beta versions that I've installed. I haven't gotten around to updating it on XP or Win7 yet and will wait for the final. No problem with playlists either, even though they were relocated. That would be great too if you could just give a warning that it's untested on 2000, you'd make lot of us happy.

DJ Egg, thanks for reminding me about that. Several years ago after installing Winamp on a Fresh XP install I copied over the already configured Winamp folder from W2k and recall running into that little problem.
Old 17th April 2013, 00:39   #255
djpete
Major Dude

clean install without cloud and unfortunately I am still getting the error loading nde.dll as before

Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 17th April 2013, 02:13   #256
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

@djpete1959

Please could you post/attach an InfoTool log so we can see what plugins/files are present (or not present, as the case may be).

My main suspects at the moment are winamp\jnetlib.dll and winamp\system\wasabi2.w5s
Old 17th April 2013, 02:31   #257
djpete
Major Dude

too long see next post

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 17th April 2013, 02:32   #258
djpete
Major Dude

here it is better as attachment
Attached Files
File Type: txt Winamp_Info_Report_17.04.2013.txt (7.1 KB, 144 views)

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 17th April 2013, 02:57   #259
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

@djpete1959

Ok, thanks.
That's a very minimal installation... :-)

Do you have 7-Zip installed (or some program which can open nsis installer .exe files as archives)?
If yes, then open the 5.7Beta installer in 7-Zip
and manually extract jnetlib.dll into the same dir as winamp.exe

Let me know if that fixes the nde problem.
Old 17th April 2013, 03:22   #260
djpete
Major Dude

no just winrar and not sure how to do that. can you pm me the dll maybe?
I did a min install as test to eliminate anything else.
but I still use classic skins and bare minimum anyway in normal installs.

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 17th April 2013, 03:32   #261
djpete
Major Dude

its ok using 7 zip now

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 17th April 2013, 03:35   #262
djpete
Major Dude

YES. That solved the issue. (Placing that dll in winamp root folder)

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 17th April 2013, 04:13   #263
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Thanks!

It's official then... jnetlib.dll needs to be installed alongside all plugins which use nde.dll

Fixing....
Old 17th April 2013, 07:11   #264
djpete
Major Dude

sounds good.

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 19th April 2013, 20:01   #265
MrSinatra
Forum King

gapless playback bug?

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=359737

--
Old 21st April 2013, 03:33   #266
djpete
Major Dude

i know this may be hard to find but I definitely had a popping crackling issue with sound with 5.7 beta (Sorry not sure what version) Drove me mad for 2 weeks. I have 2 identical laptops, one for backup when djing. After troubleshooting amps, mixers etc all I did was revert back to 5.6 on the main laptop and the issue was gone.

The backup laptop was using 5.6. It would happen mainly when searching, any tree activity. But sometimes it would do it randomly when just left playing. Thought I should mention this in case something stands out at your end. Maybe it was just bad luck but I can say it was consistent and a definite issue for me.

I am using latest beta on my main computer with no issues but the sound is not amplified like my system of course.

I was thinking of doing a full clean install again but frankly i've been scared off until the full version is released.

And yep I understand that's why it's called a beta.

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 21st April 2013, 09:52   #267
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

@djpete1959: I was wondering if I heard a pop\crack in some of the earlier betas too. Made me start blaming random pixies or bad source material. Since hearing that a few times I then have been watching out for it. I have also updated the beta a few times since. And have never heard it since.

So, if it was there, it has now gone for me in the current beta. A little confusing really. One of the occasions it happened I did roll the music back and check the track. Nothing wrong. I only heard it on one of the three machines I am testing on. Probably heard it a total of three times over a few days. Not heard anything wrong for last week or two. So it may well be worth you installing the latest beta and seeing if you hear the crackles again.
Old 21st April 2013, 13:12   #268
djpete
Major Dude

You may be right Batter. I know I didn't have the latest beta, just that it was 5.7. I will wait for the final version and then give it a go. I just cant afford the risk when djing with it.
It does seem to work fine with latest version on my main home pc. No issues there at all.

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 22nd April 2013, 13:00   #269
MrSinatra
Forum King

here's a weird one:

http://www.4shared.com/mp3/SOrNcqOl/...g_That_Sh.html

that file shows no artwork in the top center pane, or the alt+3 dialog. but it DOES show art in the notifier (sometimes) and the playlist sidebar! how strange. the art doesn't show in mp3tag either, (altho it does in win exp) so I assume its a bad tag of some sort, altho mp3tag doesn't say so.

but what I find so weird is that parts of winamp "see it" while others don't. thoughts?

EDIT:

ok, so after posting that, I tried to cleanup the tags with winamp by first removing id3v1. did that, and the art appeared in the top center, and disappeared from the playlist! then I tried to go into alt+3, and winamp crashed, generating this error report.
Attached Files
File Type: zip report.zip (73.0 KB, 134 views)

--
Old 22nd April 2013, 20:18   #270
ryerman
Major Dude

Quote:
There are 2 Picture frames in that file. My Mp3tag shows them both. After removing the 0 byte image, Winamp displayed the remaining embedded image as usual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MP3 in Mp3tag.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	50456  

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
Old 23rd April 2013, 01:02   #271
MrSinatra
Forum King

good spot. but that doesn't fully explain winamp's weird handling or crashing.

how do you delete just the 0 byte pic?

--
Old 25th April 2013, 07:16   #272
daddyo

ZZzzZZzzz /wakes up from long slumber... OMG Winamp update!

Cheers for reviving development. I just wanted to chime in about having more robust podcast/streaming management. Now that would be grrreat. I too seem to get dropped subscriptions. I ended up keeping my rss links in a text file to re-input when Winamp gets amnesia. Great workaround, but still. Perhaps a way to import/export subscriptions as an xml bookmark file...?
Old 25th April 2013, 08:56   #273
DrO

the 'dropped subscriptions' aspect should happen far less (even not at all now) with the changes which are already in place in 5.7.

unfortunately with the time-scales being worked to, there is not going to be anything else done (like prompting to use the backup if there's an issue) though with only saving the related files when needed and not all of the time (especially on close), it should deal with Winamp being interrupted on closing (e.g. it taking too long and Windows terminating it on Windows shutdown) which seemed to be the main cause of the corruption of the files.
Old 25th April 2013, 22:07   #274
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

Quote:
here's a weird one:
http://www.4shared.com/mp3/SOrNcqOl/...g_That_Sh.html
that file shows no artwork in the top center pane, or the alt+3 dialog. but it DOES show art in the notifier (sometimes) and the playlist sidebar! how strange. the art doesn't show in mp3tag either, (altho it does in win exp) so I assume its a bad tag of some sort, altho mp3tag doesn't say so.
I tried to download but I can't figure that site out. Can you e-mail it directly to me or put it somewhere better and send me a PM?
Old 25th April 2013, 23:12   #275
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

I've uploaded the mp3 to our internal server, so Benski now has access.

Note that Darren has already put a fix in place...
(edit: "crash fix" :-)

It was related to the new art source feature in Alt+3>Artwork tab, and dodgy iTunes embedded art,
where there was either two APIC:Cover images, and the first one was 0 byte or 0x0 dimension,
or a bad mimetype value, eg. I had a different mp3 where MIME was set as ima ge/jpeg (with the space).

The crash (for me), when viewing Alt+3, required there to also be an external folder.jpg file (or other art filename that Winamp recognizes) in the same dir as the mp3.
Old 25th April 2013, 23:25   #276
DrO

i only put a crash fix in place (which mainly related to not handling an error / invalid mime type correctly and was a new issue in the betas).

dealing with bad tags with junk APIC frames for the same type (e.g. multiple 'cover') hasn't seen any changes. though we might just make it look from the start of the tag instead of continuing on from the last frame pointer which can loop back around which causes the alternating image vs no image thing.

so if there were multiple APIC 'cover' frames, with searching from the front it'd just show the first one (even if it's junk data / not right) as our handling really isn't setup for duplicate APIC frames. though i'm part tempted to leave it as is since it makes it more obvious something is wrong with the tag so it can be fixed rather than us doing weird things to cater for tag errors that should never have happened (like an 4-byte APIC frame followed by a complete APIC frame).
Old 25th April 2013, 23:42   #277
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
so if there were multiple APIC 'cover' frames, with searching from the front it'd just show the first one (even if it's junk data / not right) as our handling really isn't setup for duplicate APIC frames. though i'm part tempted to leave it as is since it makes it more obvious something is wrong with the tag so it can be fixed rather than us doing weird things to cater for tag errors that should never have happened (like an 4-byte APIC frame followed by a complete APIC frame).
If you are open to user input on this, I say leave it be. Once you start trying to correct for bad tags, where will it end?

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Old 25th April 2013, 23:48   #278
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
The crash (for me), when viewing Alt+3, required there to also be an external folder.jpg file (or other art filename that Winamp recognizes) in the same dir as the mp3.
Are you saying there is an issue when embedded and external art (with a recognizable name) is in the same folder or only when they are in the same folder and tags are bad?

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 25th April 2013, 23:48   #279
DrO

exactly, which is why i did look into it but haven't made any code changes we're not crashing, sure we're giving an inconsistent display of artwork but then if the tag was fine it wouldn't be happening. am sure some will disagree and say it needs to be fixed to use the valid image even if there's bad ones before it (what is good and what is bad?) which leads to the point of your comment of 'where will it end?'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Are you saying there is an issue when embedded and external art (with a recognizable name) is in the same folder or only when tags are bad?
it was purely related to determining info about where the file came from i.e. the bit at the top of the alt+3 dialog's artwork page. the artwork itself was not the cause and not affected.
Old 26th April 2013, 00:09   #280
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
exactly, which is why i did look into it but haven't made any code changes we're not crashing, sure we're giving an inconsistent display of artwork but then if the tag was fine it wouldn't be happening. am sure some will disagree and say it needs to be fixed to use the valid image even if there's bad ones before it (what is good and what is bad?) which leads to the point of your comment of 'where will it end?'
This is why I always run my mp3s thru "MP3 Diags". It is able to detect and fix multiple cover frame errors and many other things. I believe the user should be responsible for using 'good' tags. But then the argument becomes what constitutes a 'good' tag. Winamp should do what it already does, give notice or indication of possible tag error, imo.

The problem will be that some parts of Winamp shows an image and some don't. Some users will not want to accept the fact that different parts of Winamp handle things differently due to the nature of Winamp's architecture (core + plug-ins).

Quote:
it was purely related to determining info about where the file came from i.e. the bit at the top of the alt+3 dialog's artwork page. the artwork itself was not the cause and not affected.
That's a relief. Have not had a problem, but I usually don't have folder art in the same folder with my embedded art files. Sometimes, Windows sneaks some in and I delete them when I discover them.

Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion