Old 17th April 2013, 18:31   #1
tunners

Playback; random tiny pauses then stops

This is my experience of Winamp pro on android (GS3).
  • Playback will introduce multiple short pauses in playback even during a single track.
  • Randomly just stops playing - and resets the sound level when play button is pressed.
  • Headset buttons stop working often
  • Updates introduce bugs that never existed before the update - uninstalling the app has no effect

I've got to say that I feel like the £3.20 paid for this app was p****d away. I probably only bought it because I'm a long time user for PC and thought it would be cool.

I seriously hope for your sakes that the mobile app market isn't seen as the future for Winamp; because as a music player, it fails at the most fundamental level.
tunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 18:40   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Hi tunners,

Thanks for your feedback.

We are aware of certain playback issues with Winamp For Android v1.4.8-1.4.10 on some Jelly Bean devices.
We are investigating the problem and hope to release a fix as soon as possible.

The problem seems to be related to the new notification player feature.
Have you changed this from the default "Basic" setting?

If yes, then as a temporary workaround, you can try disabling the (Advanced) Player Controls.

Go to Winamp homescreen, then to "Settings" via the hardware Menu button,
Scroll down to and press: "Notification Bar Type",
Change the setting to "Basic".

Let us know if this fixes the problem, or if it still persists.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 19:19   #3
tunners

The only setting I changed was the notification to 'none' - I don't want the notification player.

I take it the 'Advanced Player Controls' you're referring to is the graphic equaliser? Then no, it's at default (off).
Old 17th April 2013, 21:11   #4
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

No, it's under the same setting:

Settings > Notification Bar Type: None | Basic | Player Controls | Player Controls Advanced

Apparently, anything other than the default "Basic" setting causes the choppy playback issue you described...
on some JellyBean devices.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2013, 22:22   #5
chroma032

Using the latest beta version, I still get the odd audio pause/glitch, and particularly while navigating apps/doing stuff with my phone (Galaxy S3) with the setting on "basic" and/or "none".

Yesterday, even though I hadn't used Winamp for hours, it actually began playing music on its own while the phone was sitting next to me. Bit unrelated, but I'll throw it out there.
chroma032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2013, 19:22   #6
Vash3k5

I am also having this same problem with Winamp on my HTC Evo 4GLTE. I was using it fine about three days ago listening to shoutcast and for no reason the music stopped playing and when i tried to resume the play back, I would only get about 2 seconds of music and then the player would stop playing, sometimes freezing my handset completely. This also happens when I try to play music from My Library.

Was there an update or something that I was not paying attention?

this is absolutely devastating for me, I was ready to break my phone into pieces over this thinking it was the phone and not the software.
Vash3k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2013, 18:08   #7
Alep_cl

Hello,

I am having the same issue using a Galaxy S2 upgraded to official Jelly Bean 4.1.2
The notification bar is not the root cause; I've tried with different options and the issue persists. Additionally, this issue doesn't happen with other players. Therefore, the software itself needs to be fixed to prevent this issue from happen. It worked so well in the past, so I'm a little disappointed it has passed some time without a fix.

Cheers-.
Alep_cl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2013, 19:11   #8
net-cruizer

I've experienced all the problems mentioned too, on Google Nexus 4 (Android 4.2.2).
Am really looking forward to a perfect working copy. Hopefully it comes.
net-cruizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2013, 02:56   #9
tunners

Thumbs down

It has been 6 weeks since I posted this bug (and I wasn't the first apparently) and there have been zero updates.

I think Winamp think they can apply the same philosophy to android that they do to the Windows programme (which was showing its age before it I moved on from it); well that won't cut it on Android, it has a far faster development cycle.

Anyway, I bought Poweramp, which has none of these problems (far more features) and has a dev that actually releases updates and fixes bugs. 1 star
Old 7th June 2013, 06:31   #10
snkcube

The stuttering still occurs on the latest update. My notification bar type is also set to basic, so that isn't the problem.

Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket
Jelly Bean 4.1.2
Winamp 1.4.10
snkcube is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp for Android