Old 26th March 2021, 17:45   #1
ariszlo
Major Dude

Editing xmls and maki scripts

This is a new thread to continue the Is it possible to move PE_Info to the main player? topic because most of the questions raised there are not strictly Quinto-specific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvaria View Post
Then I apply the bitmap font to the remaining (second) instance. But it just disappears.
– Oh, I see now why it disappeared, it's because this font doesn't have any letters but they still take space. So if you please remove the words and the colon, it will be fine!
This post describes how you can remove them.

Quote:
I managed to do it myself! It works fine, thanks a lot!
How did you do it? Did you lower the value of x in the "a1" tag? That's not the best idea because it may confuse you about how x's are calculated. Removing the words by editing playlistlength.m and then compiling it to playlistlength.maki as described in this post will not cause such confusion.

Ariszló @ WinCustomize & DeviantArt
ariszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2021, 22:26   #2
Calvaria

I did it as you described in your post (with maki). Of course it would have taken me much less time, if I had your detailed explanation )
Calvaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2021, 10:29   #3
ariszlo
Major Dude

Quote:
2) it's even more complicated than you have described because I as mentioned earlier in some timers Winamp removes extra space for the same combination of digits and colon while in others it doesn't
Could you show the codes of the different timers, please?

Quote:
3) even if I manage to create smaller bitmap font it will not make much sense – even though the digits will be smaller, the distances between them will become proportionately larger.
They should not. I tested it with the attached bitmap font.

Add this line to the <!-- FONTS --> section of elements.xml somewhere between <elements> and </elements>:
code:
<bitmap id="testfont" file="PNG\testfont.png" gammagroup="gamma.main.player.timer"/>

Then change the font of one of the timers to testfont and see that the distances will be all right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	testfont.png
Views:	186
Size:	1.9 KB
ID:	54741  

Old 29th March 2021, 12:06   #4
Calvaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariszlo View Post
Could you show the codes of the different timers, please?
If I understand you correctly the codes are
display="time"
display="songlength"
display="timeremaining"

I tried you testfont, on one hand the font is smaller and the distances between digits are small too, on the other hand the distance between the colon and the following digit is huge, a whole digit with spaces can fit there. There is this line in main-player.xlm in the timer section <!-- space between number left/right and ":", here 8 pixels --> but it's not clear what this comment refers to in the code and whether this space can be changed.

I made one digit smaller in the original bitmap timer font and indeed the space around this digit became greater. So I don't know how to explain all this. But from the practical point of view I am concerned not so much about the font size as about the distance between the colon and the following digits in different timers.
Old 29th March 2021, 13:30   #5
ariszlo
Major Dude

Removing timecolonwidth="15" might fix it.

Old 29th March 2021, 13:47   #6
ariszlo
Major Dude

This is what the Skin Developer Wiki says about timecolonwidth:

timecolonwidth - (int) How many extra pixels wider or smaller should the colon be when displaying time. Default is -1

Old 29th March 2021, 15:47   #7
Calvaria

I set it to 12 and it works fine, but not in the case of display="songlength" or total playlist length. For those two I tried removing the line altogether, setting it to -1, 0 , 1or 12 – it doesn't affect the colon.
Old 29th March 2021, 16:40   #8
ariszlo
Major Dude

Could you post how you modified this?
PHP Code:
<text id="a1"

x="267" y="80" h="28" w="0" relatw="1" align="left"

font="Arial" fontsize="28" color="255,255,255" text="-"

tooltip="Total playlist time (hh:mm:ss / hh:mm)"
/> 
Could you also post the tag containing "songlength" starting with < and ending with /> as in the "a1" tag above?

Old 29th March 2021, 16:54   #9
ariszlo
Major Dude

I have just found this: Change Time or Clock Format. If it still has not been fixed since 2010, and chances are that it has not, then it explains why you cannot set timecolonwidth for strings copied from PE_Info.

What bitmap font are you using for songlength and total playlist length?

Old 29th March 2021, 18:26   #10
Calvaria

PHP Code:
<text id="a1"

x="310" y="150" h="28" w="250" align="right"

font="bitmapfont.timer.id"

timecolonwidth="1"

/> 
PHP Code:
<text
        x
="170" y="50" w="160" h="20"

id="mp.timer.id"

align="right"

display="songlength"

font="bitmapfont.timer.id"

ghost="0"

timeroffstyle="1"

timecolonwidth="12"

/> 
I am using the standard Quinto bitmap for all timers.
Old 29th March 2021, 18:42   #11
Calvaria

There is another minor thing with timers. The Quinto timer (display="time"), unlike other timers, has the leading zero. Can it be dropped?
Old 29th March 2021, 20:04   #12
ariszlo
Major Dude

It seems timecolonwidth is still buggy. So I would use a TrueType font instead. In the example below, I am using a custom TrueType font called FifteenOkay.

Copy FifteenOkay.ttf in the PNG folder.

Add this line to the fonts section in elements.xml:
PHP Code:
<truetypefont id="font.length.id" file="PNG\FifteenOkay.ttf"/> 
Change font="bitmapfont.timer.id" to font="font.length.id".

Add fontsize and color.

Old 29th March 2021, 20:45   #13
ariszlo
Major Dude

Quote:
There is another minor thing with timers. The Quinto timer (display="time"), unlike other timers, has the leading zero. Can it be dropped?
Yes, it can but it would require heavy editing of 14-main-player.m and would go against the skin author's intention. You might want to send him an email asking for an option to turn oldTimer on and off in the next release of Quinto.

Old 29th March 2021, 21:03   #14
Calvaria

All right, thanks a lot for the info.
Old 29th March 2021, 21:57   #15
ariszlo
Major Dude

You are welcome. Here you can find some other dotted fonts if you decide on using a TrueType font for your timers: wFonts.com

Just type 01:23 in the Custom fonts preview field and browser through the pages.

Old 30th March 2021, 10:45   #16
ariszlo
Major Dude

Calvaria, will you check your private messages, please?

Last edited by ariszlo; 30th March 2021 at 13:12.
Old 7th April 2021, 09:39   #17
ariszlo
Major Dude

Quote:
How do I assign VID and VIS buttons to toggle Equalizer, Frequency response graph or VU meter analog?
What you need is the id's of the containers.

To get the id of the Frequency Response Graph container, open frequency-response-graph.xml and search for container. You will see that its id is "frequency.response.graph".

Now open main-player.xml and find the button you want to toggle the Frequency Response Graph window. Let's say, it is the VIS button. The VIS button has this parameter:
PHP Code:
param="guid:{0000000a-000c-0010-ff7b-01014263450c}" 
Replace it with the id of the Frequency Response Graph container like this:
PHP Code:
param="frequency.response.graph" 
Now you can toggle the Frequency Response Graph window with the VID button but hovering over the button will still show VID rather than FRG. To fix that you will need to edit button-vid-vis-pe-ml-mute.png with an image editor. Personally, I use GIMP but any other image editor will do that can do transparency and has a color picker and a fill bucket.

There are three instances of each button text. The color of the letters in the first row is #2b3339 and it is #af8a2a in the other rows. The attached png contains the letters for FRG and EQ in a style similar to those used in Quinto.
Attached Images

Old 7th April 2021, 09:48   #18
ariszlo
Major Dude

Quote:
Also the player has the word "Equalizer" on the display...
It is not a button. It is there to tell you whether the equalizer is turned on or off. If you turn the equalizer on by pressing the EQ button in the Equalizer window then the text will turn to light blue.
Attached Images

Last edited by ariszlo; 7th April 2021 at 12:29.
Old 7th April 2021, 16:26   #19
Calvaria

I thought you'd need some special guids to call up those things and was trying to find them.

I turned the Equalizer text into a button, anyway , just like VIS, VID and others, for consistency.
Thank you for the letters!

I have another question, about Play and Pause buttons. The hoverimage and downimaage work well when those buttons are inactive, but when they are active (and they glow brightly in my version) those images are hard to see. For some reason they blend with the active image instead of replacing it. How to make them replace the active image?
Old 7th April 2021, 19:38   #20
ariszlo
Major Dude

Quote:
I have another question, about Play and Pause buttons. The hoverimage and downimaage work well when those buttons are inactive, but when they are active (and they glow brightly in my version) those images are hard to see. For some reason they blend with the active image instead of replacing it. How to make them replace the active image?
It is intentional. In a less sophisticated skin, you just add a line like this to a button tag:
PHP Code:
hoverImage="button.minimize.hover" 
With that line added, an active button will look the same as an inactive button when you move the mouse over it. The author of Quinto decided that an active button should always be distinct from an inactive button.

In Quinto, every button has a red hover glow around it but it is hidden by default. It only becomes visible if you hover the mouse pointer over an inactive button. The red hover glow is a layer whose opacity is set to 0 with the following line in 11-hoverglow.m:
PHP Code:
glowObject.setXmlParam("alpha","0"); 
And this is how you make it visible:
PHP Code:
glowObject.setXmlParam("alpha","255"); 
(alpha="0" stands for zero opacity, i.e. full transparency, alpha="255" stands for full opacity and alpha="127" stands for 50% opacity/transparency.)

To show the hover glow around both active and inactive buttons, you need to simplify the triggerObject.onEnterArea funtion to this:

PHP Code:
triggerObject.onEnterArea()
{

String object_id triggerObject.getId();

glowObject.cancelTarget();

But if you do so then Quinto will lose one of its cool features.

Old 7th April 2021, 21:53   #21
Calvaria

I should have said that I had already introduced hoverimage in all the buttons and that the images I use for hoverimage (and downimage) are completely different from Quinto images. The problem is this: when hoverimage and downimage are activated over an inactive button, they replace the inactive image, that's great. But when they are activated over an active button, they blend with the active image. Is this the internal Winamp feature or Quinto's ? Now my hoverimage and downimage are such, that they can hardly be seen against the glow of the active button (the latter being vastly different from Quinto's active image as well). To be seen they must replace the active image. How to get them to do it?

I would prefer to have separate images for hovered active button and pressed active button, but if not possible , then I'd rather have a distinct hover image (the same for active and inactive) and a distinct down image (the same for active and inactive). So which is the best way to solve this: with hoverimage or with hoverglow.maki or some other way?
Old 8th April 2021, 15:57   #22
ariszlo
Major Dude

Without maki, you can show three states of a regular button:
  • hoverImage
  • downImage
Toggle images also have an activeImage state.

If you are okay with the above states then you might want to comment out all glow layers and all calls of 11-hoverglow.maki like this:

PHP Code:
    <!--layer
        x
="64" y="0"

id="mp.button.play.glow.id"

image="mp.button.play.glow"

ghost="1"/-->
    <!--
script file="SCRIPTS\11-hoverglow.maki" param="mp.button.play.id/mp.button.play.glow.id"/--> 
If you want more then you need maki. Say, you have made an image to show both that the Play button is down and that the mouse pointer is over it. To achieve that, do NOT comment out the glow layers and the calls of 11-hoverglow.maki. You should instead change the following line in elements.xml to point to the image you want to use:
PHP Code:
<bitmap id="mp.button.play.glow"    file="PNG\button-playback.png" x="0"   y="78" w="60" h="36"/> 
Then you should edit 11-hoverglow.m to set the alpha value of your image to "255" if it is in the appropriate state. You should make a backup of 11-hoverglow.m before starting to experiment with it. With trial and error, you will finally find out how to modify it to get what you want.

Old 8th April 2021, 17:50   #23
Calvaria

Is possible to convert Play and Pause buttons into toggle buttons in order to use activeimage with them?
Old 8th April 2021, 18:41   #24
ariszlo
Major Dude

Quote:
Is possible to convert Play and Pause buttons into toggle buttons in order to use activeimage with them?
I don't think so but there is a workaround. PeterK. does the trick by adding status tags after the button tags.

Old 8th April 2021, 18:42   #25
Calvaria

It's still not quite clear to me. You ask me if image, hoverimage and downimage is enough for me. Yes, quite enough (and of course the active image too). So I have them and I have hoverglow.maki disabled. But hoverimage and downimage don't work the way their name suggests: they don't replace the image of the active button, merging with it instead. So I only have partial functionality of hoverimage and downimage – they work only when the button is inactive. Are you saying that to get them to work normally (that is to replace the image of the active button) I must use (modify) glow.maki?
Old 8th April 2021, 18:56   #26
ariszlo
Major Dude

Now that you have spent so much time with editing Quinto, I think you will like FrisbeeMonkey's Tutorial. It is a bit outdated but still the best introduction to Winamp skinning.

Most of what you will find there still works. One notable exception is that you can no longer load the containers of the Winamp 3 default skin for your own skin. Another is that the original version of the Play-to-Pause maki is broken. But you can find an updated version here.

Old 8th April 2021, 19:06   #27
ariszlo
Major Dude

Do you mean that you want Quinto to show the button states as they are shown in the Winamp Classic skin? Then all you need to do is comment out all the extras added by PeterK. In addition to commenting out all the glow layers and all calls of 11-hoverglow.maki, you should also comment out the status tags immediately below the Play, Pause and Stop button tags.

Old 8th April 2021, 19:17   #28
ariszlo
Major Dude

How do you like this skin? My impression is that you are working hard to turn Quinto into something like that.

Old 8th April 2021, 19:27   #29
Calvaria

But status contains the definition of the active button, so if I comment it out I will have no active button! I need image, hoverimage, downimage and active image, with hoverimage and downimage replacing active image when hovered over or pressed down. Why do hoverimage and downimage merge with active image, why this strange behavior? Different images (button states) are supposed to replace each other, not merge.
Old 8th April 2021, 19:30   #30
Calvaria

This must be somehow connected with the special status of the <status tag and its playBitmap (what does it mean? why not just "image"? This status thing somehow resists being replaced.
Old 8th April 2021, 19:41   #31
Calvaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariszlo View Post
How do you like this skin? My impression is that you are working hard to turn Quinto into something like that.
No at all.
Old 8th April 2021, 22:01   #32
ariszlo
Major Dude

Quote:
Why do hoverimage and downimage merge with active image, why this strange behavior? Different images (button states) are supposed to replace each other, not merge.
The button tag with the id "mp.button.play.id" and the status tag with the id "mp.button.play.active.id" have the same coordinates. If you have two or more tags with the same coordinates then the image of the tag that comes later will cover the image of the tag that comes earlier.

The status tag will show the playback status with images specified with playBitmap, pauseBitmap and stopBitmap.

Since the status tag with the id "mp.button.play.active.id" only specifies playBitmap, it will only hide the Play button's image and downimage if playback is on.

Old 9th April 2021, 07:34   #33
ariszlo
Major Dude

playlistlengthchunks.maki

Quote:
... there is this huge distance between the colon and the following digit.
Here is a workaround for you.

1. Keep the info.input tag in main-player.xml as it is.
2. Replace the a1 tag in main-player.xml with these 5 tags:

PHP Code:
<text id="firstchunk"

x="271" y="81" h="20" w="50" align="right"

font="bitmapfont.timer.id" text=""
/> <!-- firstchunk should be right-aligned because it may have any number of digits before the colon -->
<
text id="firstcolon"

x="321" y="81" h="20" w="13" align="left"

font="bitmapfont.timer.id" text=":"
/>
<
text id="secondchunk"

x="334" y="81" h="20" w="50" align="left"

/>
<
text id="secondcolon"

x="384" y="81" h="20" w="13" align="left"

font="bitmapfont.timer.id" text=":"
/>
<
text id="thirdchunk"

x="397" y="81" h="20" w="50" align="left"

/> 
Adjust the coordinates and widths as you like.

3. Replace the tag calling playlistlength.maki with this:
PHP Code:
<script id="playlistlengthchunks" file="SCRIPTS/playlistlengthchunks.maki"/> 
4. Copy playlistlengthchunks.maki into the scripts folder
Attached Files
File Type: zip playlistlengthchunks.zip (2.7 KB, 149 views)

Old 9th April 2021, 08:37   #34
ariszlo
Major Dude

Explaining the gettoken function

PHP Code:
String PLTimev getToken(infoInput.getText(), "/" 1); 
This creates a new string PLTimev from the second chunk of what "info.input" would display in main-player.xml (if the visibility of "info.input" was not set to zero with alpha="0" and visible="0"). "/" says that the chunks of the string output by "info.input" are separated with slashes. 1 says that the new string should be created from the 2nd chunk (0 stands for 1st, 1 stands for 2nd, 2 stands for 3rd, etc.)

PHP Code:
String rightstring getToken(PLTimev":" 2); 
This creates a new string from the 3rd chunk of PLTimev using ":" as separator.

Old 9th April 2021, 11:29   #35
ariszlo
Major Dude

button states

I am trying to understand what you are aiming at.

quinto-button-states.png shows how button states are shown in Quinto with the original 11-hoverglow.maki.

quinto-fifth-button-state.png shows how the active-hover state would be displayed if you simplified this function in 11-hoverglow.m:

PHP Code:
{

String object_id triggerObject.getId();

if (
object_id == "mp.button.play.id" && System.getStatus() == STATUS_PLAYING)
    {

}
    else if (
object_id == "mp.button.play.id" && (System.getStatus() == STATUS_PAUSED || System.getStatus() == STATUS_STOPPED))
    {

}
    else if (
object_id == "mp.button.pause.id" && System.getStatus() == STATUS_PAUSED)
    {

}
    else if (
object_id == "mp.button.pause.id" && (System.getStatus() == STATUS_PLAYING || System.getStatus() == STATUS_STOPPED))
    {

}
    else if (
object_id == "mp.button.stop.id" && System.getStatus() == STATUS_STOPPED)
    {

}
    else if (
object_id == "mp.button.stop.id" && (System.getStatus() == STATUS_PLAYING || System.getStatus() == STATUS_PAUSED))
    {

}
    else
    {

}

to this:
PHP Code:
{

Will you show me your images for the Play button with the states you expect them to show, please?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	quinto-button-states.png
Views:	128
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	54746   Click image for larger version

Name:	quinto-fifth-button-state.png
Views:	125
Size:	4.0 KB
ID:	54747  

Old 9th April 2021, 12:54   #36
Calvaria

If you don't mind, I will for now ignore your helpful info on the colon issue because I need to be clear about buttons.

I now see the cause of my confusion. My downimage has alpha less than 255 and my hoverimage has a large transparent area. That's why they merge with the active button image instead of replacing it. What confused me is that they don't merge with non-active button image and they don't merge with each other (downimage always "cancels" hoverimage). So I expected them to work the same way with the active button. But now you have drawn my attention to the fact that the active button image, unlike regular/hover/down images, has a different ID (I paid little attention to IDs), and so one image can't cancel the other but rather overlays it.

I am now experimenting with playBitmap, pauseBitmap and stopBitmap.
Old 9th April 2021, 13:40   #37
Calvaria

It depends on the difficulty, but I want at least to have hoverimage and downimage replace (not cover!) the active button image, so that I have the following states:
regular (inactive/stopped – is there any difference?)
active
hover (the same image for active and inactive)
down (the same image for active and inactive)
Maybe I might also add hoveractive and hoverinactive, downactive and downinactive, but I am not sure if it makes visual sense.
Old 9th April 2021, 18:16   #38
ariszlo
Major Dude

Quote:
regular (inactive/stopped – is there any difference?)
Yes, there is:
  • inactive Play = not playing (stopped or paused)
  • inactive Pause = not paused (playing or stopped)
  • inactive Stop = not stopped (playing or paused)

Old 9th April 2021, 19:14   #39
Calvaria

I am talking about the play/pause buttons only, other buttons are simple and clear. So my question is if there is any difference between a basic (regular) play button (coded with image=), an inactive play button (coded with alphainactive=) and a stopped play button (coded with stopBitmap=). As far as I understood Winamp defines an inactive button as one that is located in an inactive Winamp component. So if for example Winamp's player is not selected, then all its buttons are inactive (which makes the inactive feature of little use, I initially thought that the play button during the playback would be active and in all other cases inactive, but no way).
Old 9th April 2021, 19:26   #40
ariszlo
Major Dude

Quote:
It depends on the difficulty, but I want at least to have hoverimage and downimage replace (not cover!) the active button image...
I assume you want to use your own hoverimages, not Quinto's hover glow, otherwise you would have edited and compiled 11-hoverglow.m as described here.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Modern Skins