Old 24th January 2008, 05:03   #1
ModernMesiah

Send a message via ICQ to ModernMesiah
Updating Winamp

Call me lazy, or call me whatever you wish, but I've had the net for quite a while now... and I'm not sure exactly what the first version of winamp I downloaded was but it was damn early, Winamp It really whips the llama's ass... it's true... but why haven't you got an auto-download-update option =) you're pop-up is annoying, let it come up once and say something, I don't wish to go to the site to download the file every darn time =) that's just my 2cents, so if it makes you another dollar =) use it
ModernMesiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2008, 05:05   #2
ModernMesiah

Send a message via ICQ to ModernMesiah
lol to expand my little rant after reading it, I mean that everytime you start winamp it bugs you to update... lol maybe I'm an idiot and didn't turn of an update reminder or something =) Winamp it really whips the llamas ass!
ModernMesiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2008, 05:07   #3
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

CTRL+P > Preferences > General Preferences > uncheck 'check for new versions at startup'

But really, update, we don't do new features and security patches for nothing you know.
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2008, 11:16   #4
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
It would be a nice idea to have the update box allow you to download and execute the new installer by selecting 'OK' or something like that.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2008, 15:33   #5
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Jones
CTRL+P > Preferences > General Preferences > uncheck 'check for new versions at startup'

But really, update, we don't do new features and security patches for nothing you know.
I'm still using version 2.xx Worked in the olden days, works now.

"Which is worse, ignorance or indifference?"

"I don't know, and I don't care."
watadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2008, 15:42   #6
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

No one says it won't work, it's just that it works better (in some opinions) than it did previously.

I had the pleasure to use a windows95 installed machine the other day before I gutted some hardware out of it,it still worked but I can't say I'd fancy to be still using it today on a regular basis...
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2008, 19:20   #7
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

Point taken, but I'm just an old fart about updating any software that does what I like and does it well. I don't trust marketing dweebs and product managers who's jobs depend on them coming up with new ways to bloat and destroy. Back in olden times when Winamp came out with version 3 it was so gawdawful horrible that it just killed any desire to update Winamp ever again and I went back to the security of 2.xx.

"Which is worse, ignorance or indifference?"

"I don't know, and I don't care."
watadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2010, 07:19   #8
VesaV

On the topic of Updating Winamp I would like to know if there is a way to do it automatically. Because currently the way the updating goes feels like installing the whole program over again - and that's no fun
Especially if it's a minor update like going from version 5.571 to 5.572.

I like the way for example Firefox updates itself:
-It tells about the update and downloads it automatically
-Then asks if you want to update
-After the update runs in the background Firefox asks to restart the program and its done updating.
That involves mininum involvement from the user and still gives the option of not updating or postponing the update when necessary.

Winamp could really benefit from an automatic way of updating like this! Many users would be happier with less hassle

Is this somehow available in curren version of WinAmp or is it something that we should put on the wishlist for a future edition?
VesaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2010, 16:50   #9
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

I like having a choice. So, I'd rather be notified...about everything! ! Just one kat's opinion.
Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2013, 12:15   #10
jrp32a

Quote:
Originally Posted by VesaV View Post
On the topic of Updating Winamp I would like to know if there is a way to do it automatically. Because currently the way the updating goes feels like installing the whole program over again - and that's no fun
Especially if it's a minor update like going from version 5.571 to 5.572.

I like the way for example Firefox updates itself:
-It tells about the update and downloads it automatically
-Then asks if you want to update
-After the update runs in the background Firefox asks to restart the program and its done updating.
That involves mininum involvement from the user and still gives the option of not updating or postponing the update when necessary.

Winamp could really benefit from an automatic way of updating like this! Many users would be happier with less hassle

Is this somehow available in curren version of WinAmp or is it something that we should put on the wishlist for a future edition?

I looked for the "like" button. There isn't one, but i agree so thoroughly with your comment -- especially that it is "like installing the whole thing over again".
jrp32a is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions