Old 24th June 2011, 19:41   #1
clementj

How to output lists to text

I have been hunting around and can't find this simple thing:
I would like to output the library list to a text file
And I would like to output the history to a text file

But I can's seem to find out how to do this. One would think Ctrl-C would work followed by a paste into a text file, but this standard method does not work.

Actually what I really would like is for the history file to display all instances of a particular track being played with the possibility of sorting it by play time. But until this is possibly implemented, a plugin that logs played tracks is being used. But the plugin does not discriminate between partially and fully played tracks, or 50% played tracks.

Can anyone direct me to a method or plugin that allows me to copy the lists to a text file? Also having user selected separators between the fields would be super.
clementj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2011, 06:08   #2
michog

How to output lists to text

I have a similar need. I would like to export the media library to something other than an XML file. Being able to export the database to a .csv format would be great. If the only format is XML, then does anyone know of a way to convert the file to formatted text? The style sheet that is listed in the file header is not valid. What I really need is a "song book" feature. Does anyone know if there is a plug-in?

I have successfully created an HTML file of the playlist, which I then was able to convert to a word file, but that requires a lot of editing. If you would like to try this approach, I can give you the instructions.
michog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2011, 11:43   #3
DrO

http://nunzioweb.com/daz/mlexporter.html maybe will do some aspects like exporting parts of the library to csv.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2011, 18:23   #4
clementj

Thank you for the tip. Unfortunately it is not exactly what I need. I would like to be able to export the library database or the history database as formatted fields instead of just the file names. Currently to get a listing of all titles, artists, albums, genres, comments... I have to load all of the tracks into FOOBAR2000 and then fiddle with it. The history listing could be useful, but what I really want is a listing which tells me all of the times the various tracks were played and not just a count. If this information is not saved then the existing count is inaccurate.
Old 26th June 2011, 21:43   #5
DrO

that plug-in is only intended as a rudimentary means to dump the information from the different db's used so it can then be modified to what is wanted as long as that db contains what you're looking for. the plug-in cannot and will not be changed to add in additional information which is not stored in the db files - that's just not the purpose of what i was intending it for.

so what is produced for the history db is what is shown in the history view, which will only count what it can detect (assuming the files are in the library and have met the tracking requirements).

if foobar2000 is doing what you want, you might be better off just using that if Winamp isn't right for the job - right tool for the right job and all that.

-daz
Old 26th June 2011, 22:37   #6
clementj

It is a bit inconvenient to use several programs, but I do it. What I am really looking for is a plug in like WinamptoTXT2 but which saves information with date&time each time a track is played 50%. I did try your plugin with unicode text output, but the results were not readable by any of my available programs. Quel dommage. I used to have some MAKI code which made a log file using the debug log, but that now crashes with no error message after recent upgrades. I didn't think that should happen in MAKI code.

My comment about the history is that apparently it only keeps the number of plays and the last play time, so one does not really know whether that number of plays is over a year, a month, or a millenium! Well maybe several years. But if it kept a record of all play date/times then you can get an accurate display of how many times something was played within a time frame. If it does keep a record or each play, then I would like to get the full info and generate a full timeline of what was played. This is very valuable for record keeping.

Yes, no one program seems to do exactly what I want, and FOOBAR2000 with Winamp seem to be the best combination to get most of what I need. I have tried many many players!
Old 26th June 2011, 22:54   #7
DrO

Quote:
I did try your plugin with unicode text output, but the results were not readable by any of my available programs
i've only ever tried it with Notepad and Notepad++ and it worked fine with those so no idea.

Quote:
If it does keep a record or each play, then I would like to get the full info and generate a full timeline of what was played.
that's not stored - what is shown in the history view and the output from the plug-in is all that is there as it's a single db field which doesn't have the space / means to keep having dates added to it.

contacting the author of WinamptoTXT2 (or some of the other plug-ins which are more feature complete - this one is basic and how it does things isn't too good i found) or even better making your own plug-in (either yourself or trying to find someone to hire to do it for you) which does exactly what you're looking for would probably be the better suggestion for achieving the history handling you're wanting.

-daz
Old 26th June 2011, 23:15   #8
clementj

I tried it with both notepad and notepad+ also and it would not read the file. Sigh.

I have tried contacting the author, as he even asked for suggestions. I have no money to spend on hiring someone, and I really do not want to learn the arcane things to make a plugin. MAKI was enough. I am competent at programming and did it for a living as well as teaching computer science, but there is a point where it is more work than it it is worth.

I figured that it only kept the information shown, but it was worth a try.

So we will just save each playlist after using it. I was hoping someone knew of a simple solution. Thanks anyway.
Old 16th July 2011, 16:27   #9
roku

Misc opt. -> Generate html playlist ->copy to word or notepad is simple enough.
roku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2011, 14:10   #10
clementj

Of course this could be done, but requires an extra step. What I would really like is a file which keeps a record of what was actually played, and not just the playlist. In other words I would like a record of what was played 50% and not just the list of what might have been played.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support