Old 22nd October 2018, 07:20   #1
CJ_Man

Winamp5.8, Kodi, WASAPI problem

Both Kodi and Winamp spend most of the time loaded, each in its own virtual desktop, on this machine without causing each other any problem. That's changed with 5.8 if Kodi is using WASAPI audio output.

With the new Winamp playing I opened Kodi and Winamp immediately froze and had to be terminated. When reopened with Kodi already loaded Winamp did play, but do anything like pressing a navigation key in Kodi (which would cause it to produce an audible confirmation click) and Winamp freezes again. At some point I got the following error:

Error creating DirectSound buffer
Error Code: 88780096

With that clue I went into Kodi's settings, changed it's output from WASAPI to Directsound and lo and behold the problem disappears! Except this issue didn't exist with 5.666 which had no problem with Kodi or anything else running.

Also the new WASAPI audio output option in Winamp doesn't seem to work for me. I can select it, but when I play a track I either get an error box with:

client -> initialize: 8889000a

or the track plays in silence.

Although it's running Windows 10 this is an old machine, so that may be a part of it. Also 5.8 was installed over the top of 5.666 Pro if that's relevant.
CJ_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2018, 19:34   #2
vkaku

What the Internet tells me about these DirectSound errors is either that they are old drivers, or about restarting the Windows Audio service.

WASAPI has been only introduced in 5.8, but are you getting an issue using the DirectSound driver on 5.8? That would be a fair comparison to see if the bug is because of WASAPI, or if it was a regression.

WASAPI seems to work fine for me, but I have newer hardware and drivers.

vkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2018, 03:40   #3
CJ_Man

Yeah, that makes sense. As I said, this is old hardware, it originally came with Vista on it!

There's so much crap on this machine that I've decided to wait for MS to get 1809 available and do a clean install of the OS. Windows can use whatever drivers it can find.
Old 23rd January 2019, 13:27   #4
hatecubed

That's really strange (but the virtual desktops make it kind of interesting...) - are you using shared or exclusive WASAPI mode? or did I not read your post correctly?
hatecubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2019, 14:01   #5
CJ_Man

So if I'd dug a little deeper into the Kodi wiki before posting here I'd have come across this little gem:

"Kodi uses WASAPI only in the Exclusive Mode of operation in order that Kodi gets the exclusive rights to the audio buffers whilst playing audio streams to the exclusion of all other sounds or players, this is a change from previous version of Kodi where Shared Mode was also allowed."

So that was it, now Kodi and Winamp happily coexist again in DirectSound mode, teach me to RTFM in future.
Old 28th March 2019, 10:20   #6
hatecubed

I'm just blown away that anybody else in Perth knows what WASAPI is
hatecubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports