Old 8th April 2013, 01:15   #1
whitesocks

ID3v2.3 comments And windows 7

Hi,
I notice that comments written by winamp 5.63 do not always show in windows 7 explorer.

If the mp3 file only has a ID3V1 comment, then windows can display it correctly.
The problem is windows insists that any ID3.2 comment tag has a language code specified (eg eng), or it just rejects it. That is how MS have interpreted the specification. The people at MP3tag seem to agree. And Winamp of course does not assign a language code to the comments field - another interpretation.

So my request is for a winamp windows 7 compatibility option for writing/editing comments, so that a specified language code is included.

I am certainly not requesting a complex array of comment entry boxes for all the different comment languages - that is over complex by far. I just want the option to default the language code to eng for each single comment, which should be a simple enhancement.

Many thanks.
whitesocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2013, 02:14   #2
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Hello whitesocks,
I think, it has to do more with Windows 7 than with Winamp now.
I have ripped some CDs with Audio CD Ripper from Franzis, and I get many music from SoundCloud, Official.fm, Bandcamp, Internet Archive etc. (I download also the album art from these sites). The first adress for these files is my Workstation PC with Windows Vista 32-bit. I can tag my files completely or I can edit the tags with Windows Explorer, Winamp and Mp3tag (mostly I use Windows Explorer). Some downloaded files have already tags, but mostly I have to edit the tags in these files.
I copy the new files with USB-Sticks also to my notebook (Windows 7 64-bit, always used offline). I have all the same files also there (for example, if I am in the bed or in an apartment of someone else for 3 days). But the primary place for tagging the files is always my Workstation PC, while my notebook should be always a secondary place to edit the tags.
I myself have the problems, that I don't see the album artist as tag in the files on my notebook, although I see the album artist in the same files on my Workstation PC (no matter, if added by the person, who uploaded them, or if added by me). And it happens also, that on my notebook in Windows Explorer some files of a podcast-serial (from SoundCloud) or of an album (from the Internet Archive) don't have all tags, while other files have all tags. But for a podcast-file of a serial I have found out, all tags were there, although Windows Explorer on my notebook didn't show them. I have checked that file also on my Workstation PC, where all tags were shown in Windows Explorer. And on my notebook I had to add for an album from the Internet Archive the year again, although on my Workstation PC the same files from this album had the year as tag. It's a very good idea to check out also the comments. Some files of some serials have comments.
Your request for a winamp windows 7 compatibility option for writing/editing comments and other tags is also reasonable.
Greetings from Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Edit: I have checked some files from 2 podcast-serials, which I always edit with Mp3tag (and sometimes also with Winamp), and the comments came already with the files. It happens with both Windows Versions: Windows Explorer doesn't show the comments. But some single-files, which are not in a serial, got a comment from me, always via Windows Explorer, and for those files Windows Explorer shows the comments on both Windows Versions. Then it isn't due to Windows 7?
Mp3tag is a very good tag editor software, which can be also used to embedd album art (I don't like it, if only some files of the same serial have embedded album art and not all files, then I have to embedd the album art for the other files). I will leave a link for You, and You can do an independent test on Windows 7:
http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Last edited by Sabine Klare; 8th April 2013 at 04:38.
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2013, 17:15   #3
whitesocks

Hi Sabine,

A little background: I use the comment tag to rate music out of 30.
I prefer the finer ratings as not all 5* are the same!
Plus using the comment field means the rating is saved to each MP3 file and I could easily swap players/devices and keep the rating - (I've used a fair few players in the past.)
So I use windows explorer to sort tracks by my comment rating and detect missing ratings.

Windows 7 (32 SP1) will not touch ID3v2.4 tagging, so maybe that explains why some tracks do not show any tagging for you. ID3v2.3 is more standard, but you would think MS could at least display the common columns.
That explorer will not show an ID3v2.3 comment unless it has a language code specified is less reasonable imo. But MP3TAG agree with writing tags this way so perhaps this has become more standard today. My comments are in english so it seems reasonable that winamp allows me the option to change this code to eng. This is my request.

A workaround is to cut all the tags using MP3TAG (right click), then paste them back, ensuring the write tag option is set to ID3v23 UTF 16. All comments then show up in explorer and winamp, but any further change to this field in winamp, will reset the language code rendering the comments invisible again. This is inconvenient.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your consideration.
Old 9th April 2013, 17:57   #4
DrO

if only there was a beta release that might help with such things...
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 19:55   #5
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=358055

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=345521

you can set winamp to use UTF-16, configure the in_mp3 plugin to do so.

in fact, it might do so by default on a virgin install, but i'm not sure. I also don't know when this was introduced, but it is in the beta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesocks View Post
A little background: I use the comment tag to rate music out of 30.
30!

so you can tell the difference between a 26 and a 27? or even more astoundingly, a 3 and a 4?

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing

Last edited by MrSinatra; 9th April 2013 at 21:24.
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2013, 03:47   #6
whitesocks

DrO - I had a quick test of winamp 5.7 Beta, build 3364,
and comments now show up in windows 7 (32 sp1) explorer. Many thanks.

MrSinatra - re: my ratings:
They started out as 1 to 5, (1* =poor, 2*= below average, 3* = OK/likeable, 4*=interesting, 5* perfect), but decimals soon crept in. (4.5, 3.9 etc)
I mainly further rate the 3* and 4* categories out of 10, to fine tune the order of tracks on an album playlist by merit. I think I am pretty consistent.

Hey with the new Popularimeter tag, we will have potentially 255 different ratings -
I'm ahead of the game!
Old 10th April 2013, 05:12   #7
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
I used to do like you, but now I do:

1=dislike to hate
2=neutral, indifferent
3=like
4=really like
5=classic, excellent

I would like half stars, but I don't need them. media monkey has them though. and yeah, now that POPM is read correctly you could do 0-255 but in winamp, u would only see it beyond full stars in eg. a comment field if you copied it in there or whatever.

the reason though to support 0-255 is that's the dumb spec and windows uses it, however poorly. another reason though is that if you ever were to examine community ratings, you could come up with 0-100 scores that people could make sense of, like rotten tomatoes or meta critic does, even though winamp is only using 0-5 stars.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist